Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 07:19 PM

Re: Windows 10 KB4524147 Cumulative Update Breaks the Start Menu

It has to be remembered that NO version of Windoze has been released without bugs. In order to recoup the costs involved in designing the operating system, versions are released into the public domain (i.e. us users) and so therefore we become unwitting software testers.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 07:30 PM

I should add that I have now found my Spider Solitaire game has gone. Presumably Microsoft have helpfully removed it because it wasn't their own version!
Also, the Cortana search facility is also gone, replaced by some other sort of search facility which doesn't really work.

I have also noticed that my Recycle Bin has been emptied, presumably so that I cannot restore my Spider Solitaire.

I'm seriously considering spending a few bob more and going with Apple for my next laptop. Windows stinks.

Edit:
Perhaps predictably, Microsoft have also set EDGE as my default browser! Their dictatorial attitude defies belief!
Have now set it back to Chrome.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 11:36 PM

It sounds as if you had a major update JBR. To know whether you did or not, you'd need to know what version you were on and what the version is now (it might have gone from version 1809 to version 1903). Major updates do indeed take quite a while and tend to reset defaults. That's maybe why the default browser was set to MS Edge. As you found though, the default browser can be set to a browser of choice again with a mouse-click or two.

I'm not sure why the Spider Solitaire game has disappeared but it would be unusual for Microsoft to delete a game under any circumstances. That's something I have never experienced. Is it just the shortcut that has gone? Perhaps check in the file system for the game's directory to see if it has really gone. If not, just create another shortcut for it.

I know you may come back with how awful W.10 is but I'm just trying to be helpful with the difficulties you are having rather than start the usual lengthy discussion about W.10. We all have our opinions set in stone on that score.

A Mac computer might well be better for you but whatever platform you decide on, expect updates. If Mrs mart's iPad is anything to go by, Apple issue some pretty lengthy updates. There's plenty of reading material available about Mac computers and system updates. Just as with Windows, not all reports are favourable.

Because of the programs you want to run, I don't think you can consider Linux can you? If you could, then this might suit your needs. In fact, you probably wouldn't need a new computer for that. Your existing laptop computer might well be suitable for it. I realise this has been mentioned before but just to mention it again.

I have had a fair amount of experience with Linux Mint and can say that, although it's good in my opinion, this too gets frequent updates. Some are quite lengthy.

All in all, there seems to be no getting away from updates no matter what the platform. Some will pass without issue and others might not. I think this is just computers in general for you. I expect there are ways to block updates in all things but I'm personally not in favour of this.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It sounds as if you had a major update JBR. To know whether you did or not, you'd need to know what version you were on and what the version is now (it might have gone from version 1809 to version 1903). Major updates do indeed take quite a while and tend to reset defaults. That's maybe why the default browser was set to MS Edge. As you found though, the default browser can be set to a browser of choice again with a mouse-click or two.

I'm not sure why the Spider Solitaire game has disappeared but it would be unusual for Microsoft to delete a game under any circumstances. That's something I have never experienced. Is it just the shortcut that has gone? Perhaps check in the file system for the game's directory to see if it has really gone. If not, just create another shortcut for it.

I know you may come back with how awful W.10 is but I'm just trying to be helpful with the difficulties you are having rather than start the usual lengthy discussion about W.10. We all have our opinions set in stone on that score.

A Mac computer might well be better for you but whatever platform you decide on, expect updates. If Mrs mart's iPad is anything to go by, Apple issue some pretty lengthy updates. There's plenty of reading material available about Mac computers and system updates. Just as with Windows, not all reports are favourable.

Because of the programs you want to run, I don't think you can consider Linux can you? If you could, then this might suit your needs. In fact, you probably wouldn't need a new computer for that. Your existing laptop computer might well be suitable for it. I realise this has been mentioned before but just to mention it again.

I have had a fair amount of experience with Linux Mint and can say that, although it's good in my opinion, this too gets frequent updates. Some are quite lengthy.

All in all, there seems to be no getting away from updates no matter what the platform. Some will pass without issue and others might not. I think this is just computers in general for you. I expect there are ways to block updates in all things but I'm personally not in favour of this.
Thanks Mart.
Yes, without checking the previous and new version, I'm absolutely sure it must have been a major update.

Yes, it was just the shortcut, as I found my Spider Solitaire and reinstated the shortcut.

My opinions of Windows 10 haven't changed. On its own, I find it a good OS. The only thing I don't like is when updates take so long. I can live without that and have taken precautions to avoid them in future, at least until Microsoft completely take over my computer.

I'm sure you're right about Crapple, though I can't imagine it being quite as dictatorial as Microsoft. Yes, I have considered Linux and might eventually have a look at it when I have the time. On the other hand, I have recently read reports that some, or even most versions of Linux are not quite as easy to get used to as some claim. Incidentally, are Linux updates mandatory. If not, I'd be happy to pick and choose which to have.

I had considered using an old laptop (I seem to have two or three - I can't throw things away!) running some version of Linux for accessing the internet and email, and retaining this Windows 10 laptop for more intensive things like Photoshop, etc, but with the internet connection disabled. I think that would be an insurmountable way of preventing Microsoft dictating when I should do their damned updates. In addition, I could not possibly be infected with viruses, etc., if I have no internet connection - I think!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:32 AM

IIRC, the disappearance of games (Win7Games4Win10) happens to me only after Feature Updates, eg. 1903. I now keep a copy on the installation file for use when required.

I always uninstall Windows 10 games and other bloatware:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/u...0-builtin-apps

Windows Update history may be ascertained by checking Settings/Update & Security/View Update history an clicking on the selection required.

Regarding "drawn-out" Quality Updates, if I encounter one then I always post a notification on OFF.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 07:19 AM

To be honest I have had few problems with updates and those I have had have been sorted pretty quickly.

One irritating problem which seems limited to this particular desktop is that it doesn't remember the setting of the Num Lock key. However as my most pressing problem in WIN 10 it is one I can easily live with.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It has to be remembered that NO version of Windoze has been released without bugs. In order to recoup the costs involved in designing the operating system, versions are released into the public domain (i.e. us users) and so therefore we become unwitting software testers.
That isn't strictly true. M$ have a legion of beta testers for their updates before they release them generally. You used to be able to apply to be a beta tester (and get the latest software early) very easily whether that is still the case I don't know.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That isn't strictly true. M$ have a legion of beta testers for their updates before they release them generally. You used to be able to apply to be a beta tester (and get the latest software early) very easily whether that is still the case I don't know.
The 'Insider' programme is still going. I joined it a long time ago. I have given feedback once in a while but have never been all that active. It seemed better to report problems to MS rather than only write about them on forums here and there.

I think JBR's action of contacting MS about what was going on was a good move. Unless they get feedback on the difficulties and downfalls people are experiencing with the OS, how are they ever going to know about them? From reading forums maybe?

I stopped being active in the Insider programme because quite honestly, I rarely experience problems with updates or anything else.

However, I have got the developer version of MS Edge installed (using it right now) but anyone can try that if they want to. It's based on the Chromium code and works about the same as Google Chrome and other Chromium-based browsers. Microsoft will eventually drop their EdgeHTML engine browser altogether.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

06-10-2019, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
IIRC, the disappearance of games (Win7Games4Win10) happens to me only after Feature Updates, eg. 1903. I now keep a copy on the installation file for use when required.

I always uninstall Windows 10 games and other bloatware:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/u...0-builtin-apps

Windows Update history may be ascertained by checking Settings/Update & Security/View Update history an clicking on the selection required.

Regarding "drawn-out" Quality Updates, if I encounter one then I always post a notification on OFF.
Exactly. That was the software I thought had gone. I downloaded that specifically because it is superior to the Windows 10 offering. I thought that W10 was designed to improve such things!

I'll have a look at that uninstall article, though it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft put everything back at the next 'update'!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 10:38 AM

The 'Insider' programme is still going. I joined it a long time ago. I have given feedback once in a while but have never been all that active. It seemed better to report problems to MS rather than only write about them on forums here and there.

I think JBR's action of contacting MS about what was going on was a good move. Unless they get feedback on the difficulties and downfalls people are experiencing with the OS, how are they ever going to know about them? From reading forums maybe?
You're quite right about reporting to MS ....

If I encounter a problem with any MS products I'll search for a solution on the internet first then, if there isn't one, refer it to MS.

Additionally, if there is a problem but it's been encountered and a workaround created by a third-party, I'll pass that on to other users, here and elsewhere, not forgetting to add my comments/appreciation to the third-party site.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top