Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

26-05-2013, 12:23 PM

Re: The Death Penalty

an eye for an eye ; a tooth for a tooth is not the prevailing attitude of England - you are reverting to barbarism - forget it and get your brains into gear again! God you are so fickle!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 12:43 PM

Is it God who you are saying is fickle or members of the forum MB - maybe you are saying we are God?

I have said before I do think the death penalty has a place for certain crimes and I don't think that is a barbaric or backward thinking opinion. As Ben-varrey says this country is unlikely to reinstate the death penalty but I don't think it is a barbaric view when I say I think there is a place in accepting the responsibility for putting an end to life in certain circumstances. In a way it could be considered a practical view and more humane than locking someone away for the rest of their life.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 12:47 PM

Maybe if the reform system was more successful with hardened criminals, who often, upon release, go straight ahead and offend again, what is the point of repeating a set of procedures that doesn't work?

I'd be quite happy to have that Sheriff open up a Tent City in Britain and if that doesn't put murderers and rapists on the straight and narrow, maybe the death sentence is the only thing to keep people safe once those murderers and rapists are released. Maybe it depends on whose rights are considered more important: the criminal or their victims?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 12:55 PM

So - many times, criminals have come out and re-offended, have noticed too many are murderers ....
Why should we keep them alive, nothing barbaric in that ....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 01:00 PM

That's what I don't understand Pats - if animals that attack humans are 'put to sleep', why is that humans who attack humans are given bed, board and an x-box
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 01:04 PM

Exactly - whats the bloomin difference !
An act of extreme violence should be condemned
Ask the family of this soldier, sure they would agree - unless they are Christian - of course !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

26-05-2013, 01:06 PM

Well with the two that attacked that soldier and given they want to Islamify the world - why don't our officials just stone them for comitting murder? Or do they not want to Islamify quite that much?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

26-05-2013, 01:37 PM

I'm sure a petition will come up in the future for the death penalty ...
Its got to - the way things are going, people will demand it - hopefully ...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 02:11 PM

I am not a religious person but a kind of humanist and pacifist being adversed to violence of any kind and wanting to treat others as I would wish to be treated myself .

I do not understand the concept of 'an eye for an eye', surely if it is wrong for one person to kill it is wrong for anyone to kill . Can anyone explain to me why there is a difference?

As the wife of an Army officer I was devastated by the appalling death of a young soldier, but is more killing the answer .
A lot of pointless killing goes back to 9/11 when a few extremists were responsible for the taking of many lives.
How many more innocent lives have been taken in retribution for the act of terrorism and where will it all end.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 02:20 PM

Ok, I'll be the devil's advocate: Doesn't the death penalty on human beings bring us down to the same level as those that have committed killings? Has anyone the right to take a life. I find it hard with love and compassion to put a dog to sleep but then I am making the decision because I love the animal. Revenge is not the answer. We must make them pay for their crime but in a more reasoned way. Hard labour for life perhaps where they have time to consider their crime and whether it was worth it.

Having said that I have lots of sympathies with some of your views.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top