Join for free
Page 29 of 39 « First < 19 27 28 29 30 31 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 10:35 AM

Re: Diana, Princess of Wales

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I have already responded to those posts Julie and, as I have said, you used the term about yourself; Markey used it about someone else and, without knowing exactly what everyone in that household went through, it is disrespectful to refer to someone in that way. Mental illness is often caused by the behaviour of others and/or environment and, if that turned out to be the case, I don't think it's fair to refer to them in that way. There but for the grace of God go I springs to mind.

Are you aware of where the term 'basket case' came from and why it was used?
No I'm not but where I come from it's used much like a sandwich short of a picnic or screw loose, and we use terms like that about each other and laugh about them. I do have a lot of sympathy for Diana but I do see how screwed up she was/became.

I don't like how people who say anything other than nice things about her get treated in these threads, we all come to this from different perspectives judging by how we would/could react. None of us are right or wrong as we none of us have all the facts or witnessed all that happened we can only have opinions and we shape them from our own life experiences.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
No I'm not but where I come from it's used much like a sandwich short of a picnic or screw loose, and we use terms like that about each other and laugh about them. I do have a lot of sympathy for Diana but I do see how screwed up she was/became.
There are many sayings that used to be said in jest that are now unacceptable because of the negative slant it puts on certain groups of people and, imo, that is rightly so.

I don't like how people who say anything other than nice things about her get treated in these threads, we all come to this from different perspectives judging by how we would/could react. None of us are right or wrong as we none of us have all the facts or witnessed all that happened we can only have opinions and we shape them from our own life experiences.
In essence, I would agree with you. However, going from the anti-Diana comments (especially from those who felt sorry for Barry whatsisname's children), how do you think William and Harry would feel hearing their mother being referred to as a scheming, backstabbing, low-moraled slag? That pretty much sums up what's being said on here.

I have met quite a few 'damaged' young women who are desperate to be loved (by anyone if they were truthful) and will go from man to man trying to find that love; one of the saddest states of mind to be in imo.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 10:56 AM

There are many sayings that used to be said in jest that are now unacceptable because of the negative slant it puts on certain groups of people and, imo, that is rightly so.

In essence, I would agree with you. However, going from the anti-Diana comments (especially from those who felt sorry for Barry whatsisname's children), how do you think William and Harry would feel hearing their mother being referred to as a scheming, backstabbing, low-moraled slag? That pretty much sums up what's being said on here.

I have met quite a few 'damaged' young women who are desperate to be loved (by anyone if they were truthful) and will go from man to man trying to find that love; one of the saddest states of mind to be in imo.
But that works both ways surely the children on all sides of this sorry debacle must have heard dreadful things about their mothers and fathers. One side gets away with it and one is jumped on at every opportunity. I have said terrible things about Camilla and Charles as have many here I am sure do you think their children are immune from the hurt ?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 11:12 AM

But that works both ways surely the children on all sides of this sorry debacle must have heard dreadful things about their mothers and fathers.
Other than some on this forum, I don't think I've heard Diana referred to in the way she has been. On a personal level, I don't much care if people liked her or not, it's no great shakes. But when it comes to trying to paint Charles and Camilla as totally innocent and doing nothing until Diana did it, I find that laughable and a bit unacceptable: as has already been said - it's like blaming the victim for the crime agains them (not a brilliant analogy I know but it'll have to do).

One side gets away with it and one is jumped on at every opportunity. I have said terrible things about Camilla and Charles as have many here I am sure do you think their children are immune from the hurt ?
I don't think I ever have said anything really bad about Charles and Camilla. I've never really taken to Charles and Camilla just doesn't do it for me at all so they're both non-starters (in the likeability stakes) as far as I'm concerned. If other people like them, that's fine. But they shouldn't slate Diana as the sole reason for everything that happened from the moment she married him until the day she died - it's such an unrealistic stance to take that it, as far as I'm concerned, invalidates the comments those people make.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

25-08-2013, 11:24 AM

Other than some on this forum, I don't think I've heard Diana referred to in the way she has been. On a personal level, I don't much care if people liked her or not, it's no great shakes. But when it comes to trying to paint Charles and Camilla as totally innocent and doing nothing until Diana did it, I find that laughable and a bit unacceptable: as has already been said - it's like blaming the victim for the crime agains them (not a brilliant analogy I know but it'll have to do).

I don't think I ever have said anything really bad about Charles and Camilla. I've never really taken to Charles and Camilla just doesn't do it for me at all so they're both non-starters (in the likeability stakes) as far as I'm concerned. If other people like them, that's fine. But they shouldn't slate Diana as the sole reason for everything that happened from the moment she married him until the day she died - it's such an unrealistic stance to take that it, as far as I'm concerned, invalidates the comments those people make.
Fair enough but not everyone sees it like that and they have to be free to say so, in whatever way they find most appropriate. We seem to agree but that doesn't ,mean we should not let others disagree with us. This is a discussion forum and discussion to me means allowing everyone to have their say and listening to them, disagreeing but trying not to get personal about other members and a line is crossed every time Diana is mentioned with some people being very personal.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Going round in circles, comes to mind lol

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

25-08-2013, 11:41 AM

And we always will there are no right and wrong answers just opinions doesn't make it wrong to discuss them though as often people say things that make me think twice and that can only be a good thing.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

25-08-2013, 11:45 AM

Fair enough but not everyone sees it like that and they have to be free to say so, in whatever way they find most appropriate. We seem to agree but that doesn't ,mean we should not let others disagree with us. This is a discussion forum and discussion to me means allowing everyone to have their say and listening to them, disagreeing but trying not to get personal about other members and a line is crossed every time Diana is mentioned with some people being very personal.
And have I done any of those things you have listed?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

25-08-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by valice ->
Going round in circles, comes to mind lol

I think you are right valice - I just disliked a troubled woman being labelled the way she was but, I've said my piece and I shall leave it that now.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

25-08-2013, 11:48 AM

Well to be honest finding a persons views laughable and unacceptable does rather sound like stifling the discussion just a tad.

Page 29 of 39 « First < 19 27 28 29 30 31 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top