Join for free
Page 10 of 15 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 04:32 PM

Re: Betrayal By Our Own MP's!

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
I cannot see her majesty organising a referendum to have her subjects advise her on how to rule the country. She may be old, but she is wiser and more knowledgable than any of your mp's.
No, Citizen Brenda would do no such thing as consult her subjects anymore than her ancestor Charles I (1625-49) did.

That's why parliament beheaded him.

As shocking as it may seem to modern-day "patriotic" parliamentarians (all loyal to a man / woman), parliament secured its sovereignty by an act of regicide.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
One thing I admire Jacob Rees Mogg for is if he met a sufferette he would be very very polite to her. I listened to him on James Obriens show and thought if he hadn't been such a gentleman he might have bopped him on the nose he was so rude.
Meaning suffragettes, today we call them feminists, are rude?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 04:37 PM

Meaning suffragettes, today we call them feminists, are rude?
I'm not quite sure how you read that into what I wrote as I was clearly saying James Obrien was rude and last time I checked he identifies as a man.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm not quite sure how you read that into what I wrote as I was clearly saying James Obrien was rude and last time I checked he identifies as a man.
JRM, being such a gentleman, stayed civil to a rude man. You assume that therefore, he would also be polite to a suffragette.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 05:55 PM

JRM, being such a gentleman, stayed civil to a rude man. You assume that therefore, he would also be polite to a suffragette.
He's not a "gentleman", he's a thug and a greedy hypocrite - his investments are in EU countries (Ireland & the Russian Federation)!

Don't be taken in by the plummy accent, the nicely-tailored double-breasted suit and the wide-eyed look behind the specs.

This is a case where a pic is worth a thousand words - I give you "The Hon Member for the 17th century:
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2018/02/2...cob-rees-mogg/
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
No, "the people" do not govern.

Originally, the King "governed"; parliament evolved ti asist him in this task.

It is HMG - His/Her Majesty's Government. It most definitely is not "the people's" government.
So are you suggesting that a 'General Election' is only a recommendation by the people as to which party they would like to represent us?
And the powers that be can ignore it if they please?
Although these days it doesn't matter whether we elect a labour or tory government they're both the same, and both are scoundrels!..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 08:05 PM

**Please stop the bickering and name calling and stick to the subject .
Thanks.
OldFogey
NW UK

16-03-2019, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
So are you suggesting that a 'General Election' is only a recommendation by the people as to which party they would like to represent us?
And the powers that be can ignore it if they please?
Although these days it doesn't matter whether we elect a labour or tory government they're both the same, and both are scoundrels!..
NO, the "powers that be" - by which I presume you mean the Monarch - cannot ignore that.

Otherwise she might suffer the same fate as Charles I did in Jan 1649.

Messy . . .

If by "powers that be" you mean parliament, and can THAT ignore "the people" - then, although it would be politically costly to do so, MPs - because they are representatives and NOT delegates - do have the legal and constitutional right to exercise their own judgement when voting on motions. And if THAT means going against what their constituents want, then so be it.

That is the legal and constitutional position.

Hence the present state of affairs in parliament re Brexit.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 10:06 PM

Cheers Fogey, you obviously know the law better than I do....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
Wrong again.

Parliament does not exist to "represent the majority"

It exists to govern the UK.

God, Judd - you are a plonker, lad!
If you give just a passing thought to the Massed Lobbyists, who queue up to exert their influence on the willing MP population, you would realise that some MPs are more than willing to listen to advice from some outsiders.

Obviously, some have more power than others -?

Snag is, now that we are aware of our place in politics, we can seek revenge in the oncoming elections.

The Lobbyists have a little less influence there!

Maybe you get to Govern without our votes?

In this environment, nothing would surprise me.

Page 10 of 15 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top