Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2012, 07:40 PM

Re: Discretion

UJ, I must apologise for my last post which was rather inane, but I must say that I find it a sad state of affairs when the word of a doctor is no longer trustworthy. At one time they were one of the people, along with a magistrate, bank manager, policeman etc. that you had to seek out as a trustworthy person to witness certain documents or attest to your character. I know the world has turned since then, but wouldn't you agree what a sorry world we now inhabit from the point of view of trust...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2012, 07:41 PM

Discretion can sometimes put you in an awkward position as you all know, for example one of the old lads who sits at our table in the local confided in me that he is having an 'Online affair' with some French Woman, I really didn't want to know this as I like and respect his Wife, she is the nicest person you could meet, honest and trusting. He told me he's making a trip to France for a weekend come September, she tells me he's going fishing in Galway and she's staying that weekend with her Sister. How he sits there and openly lies to the lot of them is beyond me, but I just have to grin and bear it while I get the occasional wink from him, awkward indeed, but my lips are sealed.
I know this is trivial compared to what we are talking about, but it might not be so trivial if this old idiot doesn't cop on to himself and realise what a great Woman he's married to.
I think I missed my calling, should have been an agony Uncle.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2012, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Not wishing to throw a spanner in the works here, but in what capacity does your wife work? While I can see that documents may pass through her hands, does she have to read them?
Having said that, I am happy to hear how she dealt with it.
Hi orangutan
The wife is a senior administrator with some 25 years service, and part of her function is to summarize patients notes, my son also works in the same practice, and my daughter works for the prime pharmacy that serves this practice.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2012, 10:38 PM

There are no medical skeletons in the closet of this household. Lol.
hamsterjam
New Member!
North West England
hamsterjam is male 

20-08-2012, 11:08 PM

If one is talking of discretion in general, I learned the hard way. In a previous professional role I was particularly scathing in conversation with one colleague about another, and upon the conclusion of this conversation that colleague got straight on the phone to the object of my contempt and recounted my criticisms verbatim. I had a lot of explaining to do, very little of which convinced me, let alone anyone else.
Nowadays I tend to keep my opinions to myself unless more sure of the "discretion" of my audience.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
UJ, I must apologise for my last post which was rather inane, but I must say that I find it a sad state of affairs when the word of a doctor is no longer trustworthy. At one time they were one of the people, along with a magistrate, bank manager, policeman etc. that you had to seek out as a trustworthy person to witness certain documents or attest to your character. I know the world has turned since then, but wouldn't you agree what a sorry world we now inhabit from the point of view of trust...
Barry, Doctors in general I have no problem with - I've had enough surgery done on me to know a good number of Doctors. However, Doctors employed by the DWP (ATOS) specifically for the purpose of declaring very sick people 'fit for work' I have a great deal of scepticism about and will comb through their reports with a fine toothed comb. Quite often these reports contradict themselves, so the value of these reports is somewhat suspect in any event. Its not necessarily the Doctors themselves, but the system under which they operate that is at fault.
TWHRider
South Eastern U.S.
TWHRider is female  TWHRider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 01:04 PM

I worked, part time, for six years at the insurance company that has our homeowners, autos and inland marine policies.

I knew a lot of "stuff" that I didn't need to know about folks' personal lives. Sometimes I think our office knew more than the newspaper.

I kept it to myself, not even mentioning things to Mr. TWHRider.

If that person wants to tell the world, ok fine but it is not up to me to tell their sins or joys unless they point-blank say they don't care. Even then, I'm inclined to not say much.

Besides, the more you keep your mouth shut the more folks tell you
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by TWHRider ->
I worked, part time, for six years at the insurance company that has our homeowners, autos and inland marine policies.

I knew a lot of "stuff" that I didn't need to know about folks' personal lives. Sometimes I think our office knew more than the newspaper.

I kept it to myself, not even mentioning things to Mr. TWHRider.

If that person wants to tell the world, ok fine but it is not up to me to tell their sins or joys unless they point-blank say they don't care. Even then, I'm inclined to not say much.

Besides, the more you keep your mouth shut the more folks tell you
As my Grandmother used to say 'A closed mouth catches no flies'.
Falconer
Lancashire
Falconer is male  Falconer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 05:22 PM

During my sojourn in Security work in the '70's and early '80's it was expected, nay, insisted upon, that confidentiality was a matter of course!.

Further to this, however, I have an in-built, and self-imposed, 'Code of Conduct' which preclude's any release of information, however trite it might appear, to any third party, to which I've alway's subscribed...and that will never alter!...(and for which I'm often berated, ...).

I'm often accused of being 'secretive'...(although that certainly isn't the case)...but I see little reason to modify my moral's to placate other's who don't share my value's!.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top