Join for free
Page 21 of 33 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 12:30 AM

Re: Is Democracy Dead?

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
You seem to forget that whatever I argue, or you and others on this forum for that matter, it makes no difference anymore.
It seems to me that you are absolutely terrified of the future, and try to hide this behind big big words. And you fail.
I agree I see it too all over here - retirees all scared stiff of the future and still only a 35% turn out at the polls - there's a black hole ahead and there's no escaping this time - the Great British Empire is doomed!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's my point!

The EU seem to have been able to create a free trade agreement - including services - for their mutual benefit, so why not us?

Simple! Of course, they won't even consider that when they want us to come crawling back to subservience to them.
We are leaving a free trade agreement as part of our membership. Ukraine is desperate to join the EU and are happy to work towards ever closer political and economic integration, including a move to legal harmonisation and technical standards etc. The EU is happy to help them and the two have signed agreements. They have been working towards this for years.

We don't want to do any of the above, but we want to be treated like a prospective member - cossetted and wooed. We are not interested in ever closer union. We want to leave all that behind. In what way can you see a similarity?

These agreements take years to negotiate. A few weeks ago you said an agreement similar to Iceland was a good idea and then you changed your mind. Perhaps we could discuss your views on that again?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 05:14 AM

That's my point!

The EU seem to have been able to create a free trade agreement - including services - for their mutual benefit, so why not us?

Simple! Of course, they won't even consider that when they want us to come crawling back to subservience to them.

Were it not for people like May and all the remoaners, we could walk away next March and, should we be so fortunate to achieve that, I am firmly convinced that the Eurodictators would soon come back to us suggesting that very same arrangement!

In that respect, I see them as young children: push, push, push just to see how much they can get away with.
That looks to me like "a confident statement with no substance or support" n'est pas?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The EU and Ukraine have provisionally applied their*Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Agreement*(DCFTA) since 1 January 2016. This agreement means both sides will mutually open their markets for goods and services based on predictable and enforceable trade rules.
The EU and UK have no trade deal. That's the difference with ukraine

Hi

I have crossed the Polish/Ukraine Border frequently.

It is a nightmare with long delays and checks.

The Ukraine has very little in the way of exportable services, so it is to the advantage of the EU to include services.

It is to the disadvantage of the EU to include services in any Trade Deal with the UK.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 08:07 AM

It has a developing economy and very poor infrastructure. As for Belarus I wasn't aware they had an agreement with the EU. But it's tiny and not particularly democratic. I don't think they have an open border with the EU but I am sure informal trade goes on.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
rule of the majority when only 35% turn out to vote - come off it UK has made a mockery of democracy - try autocracy for a change!
Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I agree I see it too all over here - retirees all scared stiff of the future and still only a 35% turn out at the polls - there's a black hole ahead and there's no escaping this time - the Great British Empire is doomed!
I think you have got this wrong gumbud. The turnout was 72%. Still low for such an important referendum. I think approx 37% of those eligible to vote voted leave and 35% remain. 28% didn't turn up.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 10:21 AM

You're not wrong!

I find it a little pointless in her making confident statements with absolutely no substance or support.

Best ignored, I know, but I do make an effort to find explanations where explanations there are!
And this from a person who couldn't back up his statement that there are countries queuing up to do free trade deals with us .!!!!!!!!!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We are leaving a free trade agreement as part of our membership. Ukraine is desperate to join the EU and are happy to work towards ever closer political and economic integration, including a move to legal harmonisation and technical standards etc. The EU is happy to help them and the two have signed agreements. They have been working towards this for years.

We don't want to do any of the above, but we want to be treated like a prospective member - cossetted and wooed. We are not interested in ever closer union. We want to leave all that behind. In what way can you see a similarity?

These agreements take years to negotiate. A few weeks ago you said an agreement similar to Iceland was a good idea and then you changed your mind. Perhaps we could discuss your views on that again?
We? We?

You must mean yourself, Theresa May and all of the other remoaners.

I just want to leave and go our own way under our own steam, just as we did all those years ago.

I still maintain that after a few years of independence, the EU will be asking us for a deal!

We shall see who was right.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 11:29 AM

We? We?

You must mean yourself, Theresa May and all of the other remoaners.

I just want to leave and go our own way under our own steam, just as we did all those years ago.

I still maintain that after a few years of independence, the EU will be asking us for a deal!

We shall see who was right.
Hi

The world has changed over the last 40 years JBR.

Our economy has changed, more services less industry and many of the manufacturers based here are foreign owned with no affinity to the UK.

The EU will do what is best for them, as we should do what is best for us.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The world has changed over the last 40 years JBR.

Our economy has changed, more services less industry and many of the manufacturers based here are foreign owned with no affinity to the UK.

The EU will do what is best for them, as we should do what is best for us.
As I said, we shall see.

Page 21 of 33 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top