Join for free
Page 10 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 05:12 AM

Re: China claims all

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm well out of my depth here chaps but; when I attended technical college back in 1968 ish' when the nuclear cold war was very much alive between America and Russia (USSR) we had a lecturer there who said that the threat to the world would not come from Russia versus America, but most likely from China versus America....and you know what? after all these years he might have been right.....The stuff you remember....
I had to laugh at this because I was learning Russian in the late 60s toward a failed attempt to drive to the far east via Russia.

The teacher once said, "Optimists learn Russian, pessimists learn Chinese".
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Hong Kong doesn't count. I mean mainland China. In terms of Chinese cuisine there is huge variation between areas.

Now when it comes to the Uighurs, that's a whole different kettle of fish. It's the invasion of Islam into the north west of that part of China and the ongoing trouble making that inevitably follows that gave let us call it a perfectly justified response to a hostile internal VERY REAL threat.

In the case of Tibet - there's both history and 1950's politics involved. Most importantly Tibet was an open door through which enemies of the brand new PRC could enter that HAD to be secured.

Much as the Golchomags (Kulaks) had to be taken out of the picture by Stalin in order to protect the USSR from outside attack (America) via those who were unhappy with The Soviet so Mao had to protect the PRC from foreign interference.

There's so often a "Backstory" to so many things that people who just respond to what they get fed by MSM etc don't know about but puts an entirely different basis from that churned out and gets taken at face value by them.
I'm not interested in having a toe to toe on this. I've stated my position and it's not going to change. I have been following the activities of the CCP and China for quite a while. I have plenty of solid evidence of their ambitions. But I have to say..Hong Kong doesn't count !!??...HOw in twenty seven kinds of buggery can you say that?..really...How can you just surgically remove HK from the equation like that. HK is China..
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I'm not interested in having a toe to toe on this. I've stated my position and it's not going to change. I have been following the activities of the CCP and China for quite a while. I have plenty of solid evidence of their ambitions. But I have to say..Hong Kong doesn't count !!??...HOw in twenty seven kinds of buggery can you say that?..really...How can you just surgically remove HK from the equation like that. HK is China..
HK is indeed a part of China TODAY but is a Special Administrative Region that operates very differently to the way that the rest of China does. It still retains a great deal of customs and practices that prevailed while under GB administration. Personally I dislike HK.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
HK is indeed a part of China TODAY but is a Special Administrative Region that operates very differently to the way that the rest of China does. It still retains a great deal of customs and practices that prevailed while under GB administration. Personally I dislike HK.

It's far from being my favourite place in the world either. I made my point. You made yours.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2020, 11:46 PM

Tension is rising between Australia and China.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...le/ar-BB13Y5PQ

State Treasurer Tim Pallas has blamed ‘inelegant interventions’ and language to ‘vilify China’ for Beijing’s trade manoeuvres.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Tension is rising between Australia and China.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...le/ar-BB13Y5PQ

State Treasurer Tim Pallas has blamed ‘inelegant interventions’ and language to ‘vilify China’ for Beijing’s trade manoeuvres.
That is for sure.

China has now suspended imports of beef from four Australian abattoirs and is threatening the wine industry.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That is for sure.

China has now suspended imports of beef from four Australian abattoirs and is threatening the wine industry.
We'll buy your beef and wine.

Or we would if I were in charge and we leave the corrupt EU.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

16-05-2020, 01:37 AM

Fortunately Australia is pushing back against trade bullying by China but let's not forget they are not the only country threatening trade boycotts. Trump has been doing the same thing; I hope our government pushes back against that too (they have so far or at least got exemptions to his anti trade barriers).
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It saddens me to see such ignorant comments as this. America was the best friend Britain ever had and pulled Britain out of the shit in two world wars.
Despite turning up late in both wars and Lend Leasing to Britain that was finally repaid December 29, 2006
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

16-05-2020, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
Despite turning up late in both wars and Lend Leasing to Britain that was finally repaid December 29, 2006
Exactly right, and what generous terms they were too. Absolutely a gift for the duration of the war and miniscule interest with no time period for goods supplied once hostilities ended. All the Allies benefited from this largesse.

Page 10 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top