Join for free
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 11:49 AM

Slow internet connection mystery!

Why, when I first log onto my laptop with a fully charged battery, does the internet take a long time to load? The little blue circle goes round and round UNTIL......... I plug into the mains! ? It then speeds into action!

Surely, if the battery is fully charged and not draining quickly, it should behave normally! ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 12:56 PM

Re: Slow internet connection mystery!

I'm not very tech CC - but it would seem a problem with the battery itself, if its OK on mains.
You could try looking at your settings for battery input as my settings sometimes change - for some reason .......
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
Why, when I first log onto my laptop with a fully charged battery, does the internet take a long time to load? The little blue circle goes round and round UNTIL......... I plug into the mains! ? It then speeds into action!
Surely, if the battery is fully charged and not draining quickly, it should behave normally! ?
I leave my computer connected to the mains all the time and rarely use just battery, although I will do so about once per month to drain it and recharge - what Toshiba recommends.

Logically it shouldn't make any difference whether you are on mains or battery but my connection's been doing this for the past month or 6 weeks or so and I suspect that my broadband is suffering at the expense of the BT customers opposite, as most of 'em moved into their homes during that period.

Weeks before we had BT upgrading the system that feeds the left of our street only, including these new houses; the right of our street, with me included, does not get the high-speed broadband as far as I know because a near-neighbour who is a BT Customer tells me his broadband's slowed too!

I'm not BT, I'm SKY, and I know that the connections at the exchange at the top of my street are ancient and BT refuses to update it unless other providers pay them 'cos SKY have told me that. stevmk2
greg
nottingham-Derby Border
greg is male  greg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2014, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->

i suspect youll find that in the bios settings the laptop is set to run at half speed when it detects its running on battery only(in order to stretch out battery life) and then switches to full speed when it detects the mains connection.

its a standard setting in all the laptops ive had and can be turned off and on at will normally either in the bios at startup or even via keyboard hotkeys when running.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2014, 08:43 AM

I've never heard of that one before. My laptop takes the same time no matter if it's plugged in or on batery. I would suspect that some process is running and holding up the internet. Have a look at the task manager and see.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top