Join for free
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2019, 03:48 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I like Cleese's demeanor, he has been rounded by his humour.
I don't mind him but he does need to buy bigger shirts.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2019, 06:38 PM

All together now gents .....

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 01:03 PM

“That was a funny clip Solo, thanks for that, I’d never seen it before.

I see a disgruntled employee went on a killing rampage shooting dead 12 people, has the world gone mad? human life is not precious anymore, so sad, may God rest their souls.
Strange thing but those words “disgruntled employee” had been on my mind all day the day before it happened, I’ll never know why they came into my head, I was thinking race horses most of that day, most eerie indeed.

I don't know why that man did what he did but I do know that some folks just fly off the handle for the least little thing.

I worked with a chap, and this is no lie, I’ll call him Dan, Dan was a stone setter and never missed a days work in his life, he was the most pleasant man you could ever meet, he was married for over 15 years and had a teenage daughter. He got the same bus to work every morning, wore the same gaberdine overcoat and trilby hat, said the same thing every morning as he was hanging up his hat and coat “Morning all”, then he’d sit at his bench and get dug into his work.
Come the 10 o’clock break and the boy would go round the workers asking what they wanted in the shop, Dan always had the same order, 10 Craven A cigarettes and a rock bun to go with his tea.
It was only when the young lad got back from the shop that it all started, the shop had not received their order of rock buns from the bakery that day, the boy told Dan this.
A loud angry roar made us all down tools “What?!!! No bleeding rock buns?!!! His eyes were bulging in his head as he grabbed a lump hammer belonging to some workers who were renovating the toilets, he went into the office and began to smash show cases and batter trays of finished jewellery with the hammer. Old Miss Byrnes and her young female assistant ran down the stairs and out the front door looking for a copper, while the owner Mr. Bernstein tried to phone the police, but Dan grabbed the phone from him and yanked the cord from the socket, Bernstein then ran into the workshop shouting “Stop him stop him, someone stop him, he’s wreaking the place!” Needless to say there were no volunteers willing to tackle a crazy man swinging a lump hammer, and certainly not for the wages Bernstein was paying them.
After about five minutes the smashing stopped and there was silence, we peeked into the office and there was Dan lying exhausted on the floor amid the carnage, bleeding from several glass cuts.
Mrs Byrnes then came in with two burly coppers who took Dan away, we never saw him again, nor were we allowed to mention his name in the workshop, the man just snapped, but I had to smile when another apprentice whispered into my ear “Maybe it was something he didn’t eat”. Funny old world ain’t it.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 01:56 PM

Glad you liked the clip

The mind sure is a fragile thing Jem

Your recall of that incident puts me in mind of something similar that happened when I was young.

We had a women living nearby who for reasons of her own thought and acted as if her family were far better than everyone else.

We were often regaled by this Mrs of what they had just bought..the latest of everything mind you, where they had been for their holidays...only the best of course, what model car they had just required..the latest model don't you know and how much better their only daughter was compared to everyone elses.

My Mother would tolerate these snippets of stupidity always with a knowing wink as she was a firm believer in the bigger you are the harder you fall or better still He who laughs the last laughs the longest.

My job had taken me away and on my return home I had barely taken my coat off when I saw a figure streak by the window. I say streak because the women was as naked as the day she was born. I looked at my Mother who gave her knowing wink and said "that's our neighbour obviously wanting to brag about the latest fashion she has just bought"

When I had stopped laughing she then explained that the poor soul had turned funny due to the 'change of life'and often streaked by until the very unsympathetic daughter managed to eventually talk her into walking back home...still naked of course. Not much bragging done after that I can tell you. .
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 09:33 PM

As me granny would say “That’ll put a stop to her gallop”

Just a quick little one on the same theme while it’s fresh in me mind.
When we were young kids in the early 50’s one of our neighbours, who was a country woman, used to have fresh farmyard eggs and butter sent up every week from her sister in Waterford, she never stopped bragging about her fresh eggs and butter while the rest of us had to be content with what was available in the shops, and fresh eggs were never available only that powdered crap. (yes there was rationing here too long after the war ended)
Summer Sunday evenings when we’d all be kicking football on the street with the mothers all standing around in little groups talking, out comes yer woman and in the poshest voice she could muster she’d shout out to her son “Owen! oh Owen, cease your playing right now, it’s teatime, come in for your hot buttered scones and TWO eggs”
That person was always known in the locality as “The egg woman”, and the blue eyed egg boy buggered off to America after amounting substantial depts when a wacky business venture collapsed, leaving his elderly parents to pick up the tab.

God it never stops does it, no matter how much people have or how little people have there is always those who think they are one cut above the rest.
solo
UK

04-06-2019, 09:50 AM

Oh well we all know it takes all kinds to make a world and if we did understand all the why's and wherefores...would we be any the happier for it......

A little light hearted look at THE CODE.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

05-06-2019, 12:18 AM

He’s dead right, you do have a choice about being happy or wrong, even if you do end up a happy idiot it’s better than being a miserable know-all for the rest of your life, what’s so special about being right anyway?.
Personally I have been saying “Yes dear, of course you’re right, you always are” ever since I learned that I could never win an argument with the wife, I was fairly quick to realise this, maybe after 3 or 4 years into married life.
I found out that even when you are right it makes no difference, she will go and do what she set out to do in the first place, the only reason I am asked is because if it goes wrong, and believe it has on many occasions, she can blame me by saying “Well I did ask you and you said I was right, fine dependence you turned out to be”
See what I mean. It’s been a very long time since I had an argument with the wife, I can’t even remember the last one we had, it’s so pleasant and peaceful when you have mastered the art of letting stern words just go in one ear and out the other without interpretation, as me granny always said, a closed mouth catches no flies, how right she was bless her dear soul.
solo
UK

05-06-2019, 10:51 AM

At our age there would be no point in starting an argument as we would no doubt forget half way through what we were supposed to be arguing about.

Age can have it's blessings as well .

Depending on where I have lived I have watched the 7up series where possible and for most part have enjoyed it. As with all real life, there are the ups and downs to be dealt with as the show points out so well without all the usual overstated drama of todays shock reality TV. Sticking with the no nonsense format over the years has worked remarkable well.

Watching the men and women who are taking part in this 7up programme, at 63up you know how it is going to end as it is for us watchers. You could say 'uncomfortable watching' knowing that but again you could also say 'it's a journey we are all taking together so no changing that.

As there's nowt else you can do you may as well have a smile at that thought .

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

05-06-2019, 09:49 PM

The inimitable Dave Allan, priceless.

And now for something completely different.

I wouldn’t have believed it only I seen it on an ad in this very forum, If one has lost ones hair one can have hair tattoo’d on the barren scalp, well not exactly hair but a dark pigment giving the impression that one has too much hair, can’t stand it any more, and decided to shave it all off, a sort of five o’ clock shadow on ones head. I believe Kojak and Yul Brynner used to have their heads shaved every few days.
Not a bad idea lads, if you are smooth on top go for it, I would only I’ve still plenty of hair on top and anyway I have the wrong shaped head.
You have to have a classic head to carry off baldness to perfection, but perfection aside most bald men I know, and there seems to more and more going bald these days, wear it well if you know what I mean, they look confident, clean and comfortable like that, Yul Brynner and Telly Savalas just oozed confidence. If you haven’t confidence and the right head you’ll just look like a thug or one to those rough looking lads who repossess stuff when you don’t pay on time, I would be in that category if I was bald.
I don’t know what it costs but if one can’t afford it and has artistic grand children one could get one of them to do it for a bag of sweets, all they’d need is a couple of black permanent markers and a lot of patience dotting in the average 100,000 hairs.

I keep thinking back to the tramps of old, I have never come across a bald one in my life, they all had mops of thick hair, maybe it’s too much shampooing that could be causing it, not giving the natural oils a chance to work on the hair, literally washing the hair away with shampoos and conditioners of high chemical content, surley that couldn’t be good for your hair, years ago it was just hot water and a brick of Sunlight soap and you waited till you were seventy or eighty to go bald.

I’m told baldness in men is hairdity
solo
UK

06-06-2019, 10:00 AM

Remember that photo booth Hamlet cigar advert with that awful comb over chappie. If that wasn't made for women to appreciate either a full head of hair or baldness... nothing was.

Scenario yesterday. An elderly hitch hiker made her first mistake by falling. Her second mistake was to accept a lift to hospital in a helicopter. Her third and biggest mistake was to allow herself to be strapped into a basket.....and this was the result .

You watch this in disbelief and lord forgive me I could not help but laugh at the absurdity of the situation. Just imagine what the pilot and women were thinking and saying..well I can but it's untypable.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top