Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 10:31 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Leslie Howards death is another of those unsolved happenings that you wait to be eventually solved.....and feel slightly cheated when it isn't. However maybe there are no answers.

An interesting write up.

https://lady.co.uk/why-did-nazis-murder-leslie-howard

LOL Spitty...I am sure if RJ does still read scribbles he would have burst out laughing as I did at mentally trying to conjure up images of Jems friends 'Rivet Rattle' complaint but Rosie the Riveteer kept popping up instead which I hope does not detract in anyway from the severity of his suffering and I hope he sails safely through it all cos wasting a bottle of Champers is enough to rattle anyone...riveter or not.

Didn't seem to have affected Rosie though...

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 08:23 PM

I do worry about RJ, I miss his silver tongue and his hilarious tales of his days in ladies underwear and haberdashery, his in-store announcements at sales time “Ladies drawers down, now is your chance!. Big things in men’s trousers!” they probably modelled Capt. Peacock on RJ.
Not to mention the antics of his weird Uncle Vivian.
No, It’s not like RJ to bugger off without a word of farewell, I hope he’s OK.

Interesting link that Solo, but we will never really know the truth, it’s right up there with the J.F. Kennedy, Harvey Oswald, Jack Ruby, and the Bermuda Triangle mysteries.

Me being a lifelong fan of Agatha Christie was always interested in the time she mysteriously ‘disappeared’ and was later discovered in The Old Swan hotel in Harrogate. I would have loved to be a big eared fly on the hotel wall.
Maybe not as important a mystery as the above but it did command the biggest police search in British history back then in 1926.
After reading many accounts of the how what and why it actually happened, even seen the film of it starring Dustin Hoffman, I’ve come to the conclusion that she was sick and tired of philandering husband Archie Christie’s lies and affairs, she just went into a state of despair with the whole thing and her mind acted irrationally, she even kissed her daughter goodbye, a daughter that she adored and would never desert, she was a lost soul for a while, she didn’t know what she was doing, many years later something similar happened to actor Stephen Fry, well that’s just my opinion on the subject.
Deceitful bastard and all that Archie was, she loved him deeply and I don’t think she ever really got over losing him, she always kept his name even when she married Sir Max Mallowan in 1930. I believe she was a very sensitive and emotional woman in her private life.

Here’s a nice photo of Agatha when she was a young nurse during the first world war, she worked mainly in the dispensary where she learned all about poisons, as we all know she later put that knowledge to good use in her stories.

I was pushing around an idea in me head for a mystery novel, set in Mick’s Bar where seven customers, all whiskey drinkers, die of arsenic poisoning over a period of seven weeks, one death per week.
My hero would be a German detective called Herr Cool Porridge, and his sidekick who doesn’t believe in recycling, Captain Waste Things, I’d call the novel “Whiskey is the Devil” and my pen name would be “Loose Effer”.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 09:27 AM

Whilst spitty is happily digging up the dormants it seems we are getting buried alive Jem...bit like that Premature Burial film which if you suffered from Taphephobia and didn't know it....you would by the time you had watched the film through. Ray Milland made sure of that.

Lovely word though it is Taphephobia sounds more like a bathroom sink problem though I am sure that there has to be a connection somewhere in Poes thinking. He certainly tapped into the age old human fear of being buried alive with that one.

You keep telling yourself "it's only a film" but deep down it stays...lurking at the back of your mind. Thats the power of a good story isn't it...but I am still leaving my body to medical Research just in case.

Nor a fan of Agatha and you know as well as I do that entering a bar in Ireland is always an adventure and mysteries there aplenty just waiting to be told
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 11:44 AM

How dare you "dormants", These are fossilized gems, waiting to be rediscovered, as Hans Gruber said in Die Hard "sooner or later, I might get (to a Thread) you do care about"
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 11:48 AM

Mind you, I suppose I should post them in the "Anarchists or Archivists" Thread.
solo
UK

08-10-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Mind you, I suppose I should post them in the "Anarchists or Archivists" Thread.
Indeed you could risk a less leisurely approach spitty but just to show that I do read other topics I respectfully partially quote Cinderellas spot on comment ......'A cynic would say this stunt is just another attention seeking tactic'...and that was one of the milder ones

Or as Will Rogers once said " if you find yourself in a hole...stop digging"
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 08:45 PM

Taphephobia, yes like when a tap is dripping and you can’t stop it, drives one crazy.
I remember seeing a pictorial joke in “Mad” magazine years ago, there was a chap strapped down under a dripping tap getting the old Chinese torture of the dripping tap bestowed upon his baldy head, the two guards beside him were laughing and singing to their hearts content “Rain drops keep falling on his head…” God forgive me but I thought it was very funny.

Spitty, I like my fossilised gems to be cut polished and mounted in a good setting, preferably hanging from a beautiful ladies neck to be admired.

Poe sure did know what scared people, he was a bit of a weirdo himself, he was the complete opposite to Will Rogers, I’m sure his advice would be “If you find yourself in a hole…start digging”
Wasn’t it Vincent Price who was the expert on Poe’s works?
If I was to be buried I’d make sure I had one of those suicide pills near me mouth in the coffin, you know the ones they gave out willy nilly to spies during the war, but I’m to be cremated so I’ll be grand.
By the way, how do you successfully cremate a Phoenix?

Just got the strangest message on the screen.
“You have an unread message from your guardian angel, read it now”
No messin’, I didn’t click on it, he/she might be coming to take me away ha ha.
Probably one of those religious ads.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

08-10-2019, 10:18 PM

Had a look, hippies were mentioned, hippies, ex or otherwise don't "Dig" holes.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 03:10 AM

OK;on a bit of a slant,whils't retaining the central crux...for me,one of the best actors ever to grace our screens,was Gregory Peck-especially when he was teamed alongside Mary Badham, [uncertain how her name is spelled,forgive] in the epic ''To kill a Mockingbird''. His characterisation of what was essentially a small,'backwood',and relatively unimportant person suddenly thrown into the glaring and public notoriety of defending not just a supposed criminal,but a BLACK criminal,at a time when to even CONSIDER doing so brought forth the very worst in people,resulting in everything from threats to his children,to becoming despised for having the temerity to do so,was,to me,one of the very best books I have ever had the MASSIVE pleasure of reading. Yes,I know the film was also a huge success,resulting in good times and great fame for it's participants [step forward Robert Duvall,Brock Peters,Dill Harris,Philip Peters,et al & take a bow]...but,to me and FOR me,it was the act of visualising those characters in my mind as I read the book [which,incidentally,I still to this day have in my library],prior to any film,that made that book one of the All Time Greats. Whatever one's outlook regarding race,colour,religion,so forth-you have to admit that book DID change this world-for the better. Harper Lee,we salute you. [ps-nothing to do with the above-but I still to this day fancy Hayley Mills....always have,always will...sigh]
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

09-10-2019, 07:07 AM

Pug, a bit of Honky Tonk is all well an good but, never saw the attraction for Mrs Mills, not with the relative age differential at the time.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top