Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 10:37 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I would have loved to be that train driver ploughing through the snow, of course they were all Sunlight Soap babies, that's why they're so hardy.
I have trains in me blood, father and grandfather were train drivers with the Great Western, lovely bit of film that, thanks Solo.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 10:43 PM

I have no doubt you looked stunning in your orange hair Solo, a real head turner.
Orange hair would go down well on the 12th of July up North, you’d be the belle of the ball.

“Stalwart” a real Spitty special, had to look it up cos I never heard it before till now, they never told us about that word in our school.
I thought at first glance it meant a wart that was out of date, like a stale-wart but it seems it’s something completely different.
I had an awkward wart when I was an apprentice, (by the way, an ‘awkwart’ is a troublesome wart) it was a triple wart, three mini warts in a line on my right index finger, they were right on the inside touching off the next finger and very irritating when I was holding the hand file in my hand, and most embarrassing when holding the girlfriends hand while out for a walk.
The fella I was apprenticed to at the time was a Turkish chap and he told me to dip a glass eyedropper into nitric acid, (the stuff they test the carat of gold with) gently shake it then dab it on the warts, I did and they turned brown, as does 9ct. gold, I had been doing a lot of 9ct. work that week and the filings must had got through the skin and into the warts (stings a little bit at first but not for long), when I woke the next morning they had disappeared! and that’s Gods truth.
I remember thinking at the time that if I could figure out a way of making the nitric acid into a controlled stable paste I’d make a fortune selling it as an instant wart cure.
Another great tip he gave me was when you get a burn on your fingers or hands, rub the burnt part vigorously in your hair touching the scalp for twenty seconds and it will not blister, it works great, providing one has hair that is, if not I suppose one could always try rubbing ones finger in the dogs hair, it might just work, but mind he doesn’t bite you if you rub him the wrong way.

Talking of tips, the Ayr November race meeting is on tomorrow and a fella in the bookies came over to me as I was filling in my selections for the day.
“Hey Jem, do ya want a tip for Ayr tomorrow?”
“Indeed I do Tom”
“Well keep the windows open all night”
Smart arse.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 11:45 PM

I had a Smart Arse, a perianal cyst, 1980 ish, dealt with it by taking mega hot baths, hence, my smart arse comments are never made lightly.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 12:09 AM

Got old today, I know all the inns and outs, life needs to take control again.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Got old today, I know all the inns and outs, life needs to take control again.
I won't tell a soul...

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 02:11 PM

Ye gawds Jem it's a wonder your finger didn't do a runner after using Nitric acid...it's not called 'strong water' for nothing. Still it beats wearing a frog round your neck to get rid of warts. Who thinks these things up !!

Anyway what do they say "don't knock it till you've tried it". Before they doctored the ingredients we always carried a large bottle of Collis Browns Compound as no matter what country you were living in Collis Browns was the panacea for all ills. Little did we know nor would we have cared to know that a couple of the ingredients..morphine and opium (now banned) had a lot to do with how we felt.

What you don't know can't harm you was never more truer than in that little brown bottle.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

14-11-2019, 11:29 PM

What happened to Doctor Dave, did he burn the Candle at both ends?
solo
UK

15-11-2019, 03:01 PM

Now you would think if a Drinks company offers to bung you a few free bottles for using your name you would jump at the chance but not our 102 year old Dame Vera Lynn....her of the White Cliffs of Dover fame. .

An International company want's to use her name as it rhymes with Gin to flog their new drink but as a non gin drinker she is a tad miffed has said "nay"....no doubt being of that certain age that remembers the stigma attached to gin drinking....so our Vera is going to fight them on the beaches etc, etc, ect. .

I love the fact although she did once enjoy a glass of the red she apparently only drinks the odd glass of Sanatogen now. Makes you wonder why the said company don't go for something like a snassed up version of Sanatogen that would perk up us non gin drinking oldies up without upsetting us in the bargain

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

16-11-2019, 10:22 PM

We had a bereavement in the family, Phyllis’s eldest sister passed away peacefully in her sleep last Wednesday, she had had a great innings (92) and we were all very fond of her, it’s sad that she’ll be with us no more, she was good craic and never complained right up to the end, bless her soul, farewell old girl, I’ll miss you.
We gave her a great sendoff, just the way she wanted it.

Vera Lynn, Isn’t she marvellous, good for you Vera, why tarnish your good name by associating it with Gin, or “Whores Comfort” as Dean Swift called it back in the 1700’s, of course it was a cheap drink then, but Swift was a nasty sarcastic man anyway, always slagging off the working classes.

He seemed to know all about money too, he was nearly as good as my missus.
I wondered why he said “Dime” in this quote and not shilling or sixpence, something is wrong here, Swift died in 1745, the American War of independence began in 1775, up to that the currency in America was LSD was it not? I might be mistaken, but I can’t imagine Swift saying nickels and dimes.

“There were many times my pants were so thin I could sit on a dime and tell if it was heads or tails” Jonathan Swift
Well Jonathan we were so poor that we hadn’t even got pants, I could sit on a farthing and tell you if the head or tail had hair on it or not.
I tried Gin a few times in my younger days and I wouldn’t be gone on it, I found myself thinking of all things sad while under it’s influence and very depressing, not my kind of tipple I’m afraid, I mean if you want that kind of thing just listen to a party political broadcast or look up the brexit threads, then you can get depressed for free, why pay for a depression session.

"In all the Gin Joint's in all the World..."
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

16-11-2019, 11:48 PM

I hit "Rock Bottom" when my arse hung out of someone else's trousers, I jest not.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top