Join for free
Page 556 of 1676 « First < 56 456 506 546 554 555 556 557 558 566 606 656 1056 1556 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 09:51 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Well I've been to Killarney, and quite recently, but I never saw no strawberry tree.

Lovely scenery, lovely people, average weather. I did meet Father O'Flaherty. Cold as brass he was; well bronze anyway.

The Vatican Pimpernel he was called. Saved thousands of people from being killed by the Italian Fascists so he did. A fine fella I think, so he was.

Strawberry trees though, not a single mention anywhere.
great film made with Cher and maggie smith and judy dench etc made around the fascist times - Tea with Mussolini
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I believe they made a film about Fr.O' Flaherty Fruity, Peckery Greg played the part.
Well if those four nice Liverpool lads can have their Strawberry Fields Forever, why not the Kerry lads have their Strawberry Trees Forever, don’t know about the Tangerine Trees either, but many’s the morning I woke up in Killarney with Marmalade eyes, usually after sampling old man Casey’s new batch of poteen, who needs LSD when you can have good first class poteen, and any left over in the bottle you can use to take paint off doors or sterilise your drains, kills 100% of all known germs, that’s how some of these Kerry mountain dwellers live to be way into their 100’s.
You are spot on. 'Twas called The Scarlet and The Black.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 07:04 PM

About good luck.
The wife’s eldest sister Maisie was always lucky, some people are like that for some reason known only to a superior being, same as some folks are unlucky too I suppose.
She used to win the raffle in the local nearly every week much to the annoyance of all the other ticket holders and the cries of “FixI fix!, it’s all a fix!” echoed around the lounge from the disgruntled locals. She was eventually barred from buying any tickets, no kidding, but got around that by getting me to get them for her, but that had to stop because when I started winning on her tickets suspicion grew and eventually she packed it in and started buying lottery tickets instead.
Maisie won an awful lot of money on the lottery a few years ago. She tried a mediterranean cruise with two of her daughters soon afterwards but hated it and swore she’d never go again, I think you have to be a cruise person to enjoy all that port hopping stuff. fair play to her she had asked Phyllis and me to go with her but we’re not cruisy types at all. “I say darling, shall we dine at the Captain’s table this evening?” “Bugger off Jem and eat your coddle”
I hasten to add that I have enough brass to get by without worrying about money, but by no means am I wealthy, still I’ve always been fairly lucky, my good luck far outweighs my bad luck, and most important of all, I was lucky in louvre.
I just smiled and winked at Phyllis as I typed that last bit, hows that for mushy lads, as Jack Nicholson said once "I’m feeling very romantic tonight so let out your grannies, wait’ll they get a load of me”
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
Good of you to ask,gummy....it's [Oh,I totes HATE having to admit this] ... {btw 'totes' is apparently acceptable only if one is under 35yo...but,soddem} ... anyflippinway-the new laptop is in the local repair shop!!! I made a HUGE mistake - I started it! THAT bolloxed it,I can tell yerz. I have NO idea what I did incorrectly...but whatever it was,it completely knackered the software. So...my ol' relahble keep on agoin',y'all. Fer the mo,anyway. I TRULY dunno what I did/didn't do...but whatever it was,Apple didn't like it/took offense. #sigh.
sometimes ya just can't win - even you pugsy - a few years back I purchased to brand spankin new laptop - identical in every way - one for the missus and one for me - got them home and booted them up. the first one failed and jammed [this is proper technical parlee] this was the one the missus wanted first but then she changed her mind - "you can have that one she said - I'll have the other" - yes you guessed it the other was perfect. took the dud one back tot the shop and some young twot proceeded to tamper with it and reckons he can fix it - to cut a long story short the manager appeared from the back store and asked him what he was about - upon his explanation the manage simple said " did feck about all day doin that - go and get another brand new one from the store for the customer - problem solved.

the gizzmo to this story pugsy is several fold:

it can happen to anyone - net savvy or not and to a brand new product all the way from the dusty workshops of china who may have got it wrong?

there hope that makes you feel slightly taller again?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
You are spot on. 'Twas called The Scarlet and The Black.
Gregory Peck finest hour
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 10:23 AM

I think my good luck/fate/destiny in life far outweighs my bad luck.

If my Mum had never left Oz, she wouldn't have met my Dad, and I would never have existed so you wouldn't be seeing this drivel I'm typing now.

If a careers adviser at the local education office in Doncaster hadn't told me to apply for college, I might have gone down the mines instead of getting a job that lasted forty three years, and an adequate pension beyond.

I learned a long time ago it was pointless me buying raffle and lottery tickets. I just don't win anything worthwhile.

I fell out of a tree when I was seven and broke my arm, not my neck.
I've survived being hit by cars as pedestrian, cyclist, and motorcyclist, suffering nothing worse than sore knees.
I've escaped from a burning building, and survived no end of redundancy scares.

Severe heart failure was missed the first time round, but caught by accident a year later. I now have a 30 grand pacemaker in my chest, and a severely changed lifestyle, but I'm still ticking.

The most important piece of good fortune in my humbled o'pinion though is where lurve is concerned. It far outweighs any other piece of luck, both good or bad.

I thank the Goddess of the White, or whoever it is that runs the puniverse for that, and forgive everything else bad that has ever happened to me.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

26-03-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Gregory Peck finest hour
There's me thinking it was Hornblower.

*Clears throat*
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 10:40 AM

I was also thinking The boys from Brazil which just proves it doesn't do to think .
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 11:17 AM

Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

26-03-2018, 11:35 AM

Your Mum could afford a hanky? Luxury! Was it your Mum's spit, or were you made to provide the cleaning fluid?

My Mum used to scrub my knees with Vim because they were so dirty.

Page 556 of 1676 « First < 56 456 506 546 554 555 556 557 558 566 606 656 1056 1556 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top