Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 08:50 PM

Surgery and Appointments

One of my friends has a Sister who has diabetes and she has recently been diagnosed with pancreatitis and she needs to go for regular blood tests.

Today when she went to the surgery a woman came in and told the receptionist she thinks she has Corona Virus. The receptionist told her to take a seat!!! Eh, does she not listen to the news, everyone knows you do not go into a doctors surgery if you even suspect you have the virus.

I think that receptionist needs some more training.

Also, one of my friends had an appointment at hospital for today for physiotherapy and they told her not to go and they did her appointment over the phone? I'm not sure how that works but it's desperate measure right now eh.

Have your appointments been affected?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 09:01 PM

Re: Surgery and Appointments

Mr M rescheduled an eye appointment at the local hospital. He didn't fancy sitting waiting in a crowd of people.

Today, I went to the local GP and they're not allowing anyone in the surgery without having their temperature taken. They've set a testing table up in the foyer so no one can creep in.

That was incredibly irresponsible and stupid by that person in your sister's surgery.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Mr M rescheduled an eye appointment at the local hospital. He didn't fancy sitting waiting in a crowd of people.

Today, I went to the local GP and they're not allowing anyone in the surgery without having their temperature taken. They've set a testing table up in the foyer so no one can creep in.

That was incredibly irresponsible and stupid by that person in your sister's surgery.
Good idea, I hope all surgeries take on that precaution. I agree Morty, that woman was very irresponsible indeed.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 09:18 PM

I'm reading on a few forums around webby world today that they received text messages telling them of imminent changes in their surgeries procedure. No appointments unless urgent. Telephone consultations instead of face to face.

Perhaps the Medical council (or whatever it's called) made the decision for them all?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 09:24 PM

I had a hospital appointment tomorrow with the thyroid people, been going every 4 months for the past 3 years, with the same outcome: 'keep taking the tablets'. I went for a blood test last monday in advance of this appointment, phoned this morn to ask if they really needed to see me, and was told I will have a telephone consultation, 'expect a call tomorrow at 10:20'. Suits me, there should be more of this.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 12:48 AM

I have received 3 texts from my GP's surgery recently.

The first one said don't go if you have any symptoms or have just returned from . . . . and it listed about 12 countries.

The second text, which came last Thursday said they are advising all patients not to attend the surgery now, unless essential.
They are only offering telephone triage in the first instance now.

The 3rd and last message was on Saturday just gone, repeated the previous one about they can only offer telephone triage now as they are doing their best to protect both patients and their staff.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 02:55 AM

That's terrible about the coronavirus patient. Our surgery has posters all over saying don't come in if you have the virus. They have also sent texts. It's really vital to protect the NHS medical staff from the virus. It's great that they are rolling out virtual appointments. Many consultations can be done via a video.

The receptionists had to make a decision. I guess if the woman came in then the damage was pretty much done. She was probably more contained sitting down quietly than arguing with the receptionist. Most surgeries won't have facilities to deal with something like this.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 03:41 AM

Hi

Hospital appointments are just a fact of life at the moment, nothing to be done about them except take basic precautions.

Guy had one yesterday, another tomorrow, I have one on Friday.

The stupid thing is that in spite of avoid the Office Guy has an appointment at the Job Centre today which they have refused to cancel.

It could easily be done by phone or video.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 10:14 AM

I had a GP surgery appointment tomorrow but I have just been advised, by text, that it has been changed to a 5 minute telephone call at the same time.

I shall have to prepare a summary of my condition and anticipate the GP's questions .....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I had a GP surgery appointment tomorrow but I have just been advised, by text, that it has been changed to a 5 minute telephone call at the same time.

I shall have to prepare a summary of my condition and anticipate the GP's questions .....
It usually takes 5mins to get past the robots
Omah, it doesnt leave much time for consultation?

Donkeyman!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top