Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 01:17 PM

BBC iPlayer - The Shadows at Sixty

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...adows-at-sixty

A look back at the incredible success of The Shadows as they celebrate their 60th anniversary. Starting from where they began as The Drifters to then becoming the backing band for Cliff Richard and enjoying huge success in their own right, the programme celebrates The Shadows’ achievements across a time of constant change within the social, cultural and musical landscape.

The Shadows were at the forefront of the UK beat boom generation and the first backing group to emerge as big stars in their own right. Using unseen archive, personal testimony and interviews with the band, along with those they influenced, including Brian May, David Gilmour, Pete Townshend, The Shadows at Sixty is not just a trip down memory lane, but an in-depth, often emotional story of a group’s journey through six decades.

60 mins
Although I was, briefly, a Shadows fan, I soon moved on, like many others, to more "progressive" bands in the middle to late '60's, so I was prepared to give this documentary only a desultory viewing, but it proved surprisingly enjoyable, if only because it was a reminder of a smaller, more innocent world where a red Fender Stratocaster in England was as rare as a rocket from outer space .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 01:24 PM

Re: BBC iPlayer - The Shadows at Sixty

Thanks Omah. I will definitely watch that. The Shadows were great and inspired a lot of people to pick up a guitar (me included - in fact the first thing I learnt to play was 'walk don't Run') I also saw them live in the mid eighties which was very un-cool but they were brilliant and played a lot of modern stuff as well as the old favourites. Hank Marvin is a guitar genius imo and not many people can say their name has been used as rhyming slang.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 01:33 PM

As you rarely saw them:

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 03:18 PM

I just watched that program. Loved it, it brought back a few memories. Thanks Omah.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 10:09 PM

Apache was the very first song I ever learned to play on the guitar. I still like to play it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Apache was the very first song I ever learned to play on the guitar. I still like to play it.
Snap! Me too, keezoy!

I never owned anything as exotic as a Fender though - just a regular guitar. Didn't have that for long - my older brother 'borrowed' it and lost it in a game of poker!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 10:19 PM

deleted - duplicate
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 04:32 AM

Hermana!..That is cool. Wish we could have a jam. We could take turns in playing lead. ..I have an old Telecaster now and also share a lovely Strat with my son who also plays. It's only 7 years old but the Tele is early 70s vintage and quite valuable although I would never sell it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 07:16 AM

It was great Omah !
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

03-05-2020, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I just watched that program. Loved it, it brought back a few memories. Thanks Omah.
Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It was great Omah !
I'm glad that you enjoyed it .....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top