Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2020, 09:20 AM

Capitalizing on the situation

Anyone come across it? it can be quite hard to spot when your main grocery shop cost increases, but I did note this yesterday.
The Chip Shop in the next village do a delivery service where you can conveniently book a delivery slot during the day online, well, we have the paper menu from pre the crisis, when, we would have driven there as the norm, and collected, so I decided to check the online cost against the menu, and the online cost was substantially more. thinking the paper menu could be well out of date, I compared the online menu cost against the order cost and found this. If we had collected under normal circumstances the total bill for the food would have been £16.80, the online order for the food was £22.20 (£5.40 more) then there was a £2.95 delivery charge for 3 miles, total bill £25.15 against £16.80 collected, the shop owner must be rolling in it!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2020, 09:27 AM

Re: Capitalizing on the situation

I looked on the website of a local farm shop who now deliver vegetables locally at £5 a time, I was shocked to see one cauliflower is now £3 and it isn't even organic...

Some people are definitely profiteering
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2020, 09:33 AM

Surely the point is that they have to make things financially viable in order to operate? Given that their normal custom has decreased enormously, and for some cases their own suppliers will have increased their charges, it's no surprise that they have to bump prices up.

I think you're being a bit naive and harsh, if you don't mind me saying.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2020, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Anyone come across it? it can be quite hard to spot when your main grocery shop cost increases, but I did note this yesterday.
The Chip Shop in the next village do a delivery service where you can conveniently book a delivery slot during the day online, well, we have the paper menu from pre the crisis, when, we would have driven there as the norm, and collected, so I decided to check the online cost against the menu, and the online cost was substantially more. thinking the paper menu could be well out of date, I compared the online menu cost against the order cost and found this. If we had collected under normal circumstances the total bill for the food would have been £16.80, the online order for the food was £22.20 (£5.40 more) then there was a £2.95 delivery charge for 3 miles, total bill £25.15 against £16.80 collected, the shop owner must be rolling in it!
Think about it though. Even a three mile return trip will take about 15 mins of a driver's time so that three quid delivery charge will barely cover the drivers wage let alone other costs of employing the driver plus fuel costs and wear and tear on the vehicle.

There are other additional costs associated with packing the meal including materials for packing, someone to do the packing, the additional costs to administer the delivery service and so on. There are also the increase in costs that the shop faces because of shortages that have to be passed on.

All in all I think you're getting a very reasonable deal.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2020, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Surely the point is that they have to make things financially viable in order to operate? Given that their normal custom has decreased enormously, and for some cases their own suppliers will have increased their charges, it's no surprise that they have to bump prices up.

I think you're being a bit naive and harsh, if you don't mind me saying.
I agree, they might have families to feed, bills and mortgages to pay and may not have done any business for weeks.
What would you do?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2020, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Think about it though. Even a three mile return trip will take about 15 mins of a driver's time so that three quid delivery charge will barely cover the drivers wage let alone other costs of employing the driver plus fuel costs and wear and tear on the vehicle.

There are other additional costs associated with packing the meal including materials for packing, someone to do the packing, the additional costs to administer the delivery service and so on. There are also the increase in costs that the shop faces because of shortages that have to be passed on.

All in all I think you're getting a very reasonable deal.
Agreed. Under normal circumstances, this would be mitigated by the profit via bulk of usual in-store purchases/collections, and companies can run deliveries as a near "loss leader". But not nowadays!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2020, 09:44 AM

I'll put a face mask on and collect next time
The point being, if for what ever reason they load the prices for delivery, it should be made clear on the Website along with the justification for doing so.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

09-05-2020, 09:47 AM

And, I hope ALL the £2.95 actually goes to the driver!!!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

09-05-2020, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I'll put a face mask on and collect next time
The point being, if for what ever reason they load the prices for delivery, it should be made clear on the Website along with the justification for doing so.
Is it not indicated on the checkout/pay now page? In any case, you have the option not to proceed.

As for "justifying it", surely the current situation makes this self explanatory.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

09-05-2020, 09:51 AM

Bloody Capitalists.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top