Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 09:05 AM

Re: Coronavirus: How to make your own face mask

I've never tried a proper surgical mask, but presumably you can breathe through - and not around the sides of - the material. (?)

I've sampled a couple Ms d00d has made ... no good.

And so without a proper mask I've decided - if I need to wear something - I'm going to wear a big neckerchief or square cotton scarf folded corner to corner ... over my nose and tied at the back of my neck, like a cowboy bandit.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 09:19 AM

The ones I have made (above) are really comfortable and although they have 6 layers of fabric I can breathe easily through them, the butter muslin lining is very thin.
They are not hot either..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I've never tried a proper surgical mask, but presumably you can breathe through - and not around the sides of - the material. (?)

I've sampled a couple Ms d00d has made ... no good.

And so without a proper mask I've decided - if I need to wear something - I'm going to wear a big neckerchief or square cotton scarf folded corner to corner ... over my nose and tied at the back of my neck, like a cowboy bandit.
I was wondering that d00d. At work, I tried wearing a builder's dust mask but had to take it off because I could hardly breath through it. The surgical masks are much better which means cutting up my old pants probably won't work.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The ones I have made (above) are really comfortable and although they have 6 layers of fabric I can breathe easily through them, the butter muslin lining is very thin.
They are not hot either..
They look good, sensible shape, but can't be easy to breathe through ... the muslin yes, but the outer layers? Hmmm
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

14-05-2020, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I was wondering that d00d. At work, I tried wearing a builder's dust mask but had to take it off because I could hardly breath through it. The surgical masks are much better which means cutting up my old pants probably won't work.
This has just reminded me of a builder's mask I haven't seen in 30 odd years ... a thin, bendy, alloy? plate you fit a filter to. It covers your mouth and holds the filter up under your nose. I don't suppose they make them anymore?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
They look good, sensible shape, but can't be easy to breathe through ... the muslin yes, but the outer layers? Hmmm
Dood they are very easy to breathe through and very comfortable, the pointy bit goes right over the nose.

I gave it a test run today, I needed to go to the post office so went to the the one in the next village wearing the mask and sun glasses and was able to breathe and speak...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Dood they are very easy to breathe through and very comfortable, the pointy bit goes right over the nose.

I gave it a test run today, I needed to go to the post office so went to the the one in the next village wearing the mask and sun glasses and was able to breathe and speak...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2020, 12:11 AM

I have decided against the T-Shirt (looks amateurish) and I'm going for the bandana so I've ordered some camo versions:

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 04:03 PM

I've tried this one out a few times - easy to breathe through but hot on the face and steams up spectacles (perhaps it's made from knicker material ..... ) .....

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top