Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 09:15 AM

Is It Our NHS, Or Not!!

To all those people moaning about Priti Patel and the new immigration rules, including the fact that those that will be allowed to settle here will have to earn a minimum of £25,000 per annum.

Has anyone ever thought about the fact that they also qualify for the use of our NHS, which British citizens have paid into all their working lives? Lers take an example:

A person earning a salary of say £24,000 per annum (the national average is £30,000), pays National Insurance of £1,740 per annum. Yet immigrants that have already settled here have only ever had to pay a surcharge of just £400 per annum for the same use as those who have paid in all their working lives! Where is the fairness and equality in that?
Granted, the Gov’t has just announced this is being raised to £624 per annum, but this is still less than half of what workers are having to pay into the NHS through National Insurance contributions!

At the very least, I feel strongly that anyone settling here earning a minimum of £25,000, should pay the same National contributions as British workers.

Why should any incoming Migrants be allowed the immediate use of the NHS when they haven’t paid anything into it and will still be paying peanuts compared to British workers? This is a two-tier system, balanced very much against the indigenous population and so wrong in every sense.

What are your views? Do you agree that anyone who settles in Britain should at the very least commence immediately with paying the same NI contributions as British workers have to, instead of the paltry few hundred pounds per annum they presently do? Even with the pending rise, I feel it isn’t enough.

Or do you think otherwise?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 09:33 AM

Re: Is It Our NHS, Or Not!!

I agree with you whole heartedly!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 09:36 AM

Hi

Fine by me.

Who are we going to get to replace them?

Our Own?

Who on Benefits do not pay NI?

You would not want my new next door neighbour as your Carer.

By all means make them pay, but that put costs up and that costs us in Taxes.

They will not be coming for the same wages, costs will go up.

One way or another we will pay for this.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 09:58 AM

NI is not hypothecated. NHS is paid for out of general taxation.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 09:58 AM

Most countries do not allow access to free healthcare until immigrants have worked and contributed to insurance for 6 months.

However, this doesn't usually include emergency treatment and if workers are coming here at our request at a time like this and catch Covid then they should most certainly be treated for free.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 10:33 AM

If we stop some immigrants from accessing all aspects of the NHS, have you given any thought as to what diseases and afflictions you could be releasing unchecked into the general community?
Also do not forget this is a surcharge and not as a substitute for NI contributions taken as PAYE from an established workers salary.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 11:01 AM

Annie, Of course, everyone should be treated in an emergency. I would never contemplate thinking otherwise. I am not referring to just migrant workers asked to help pick crops or even the heroes of the NHS and Care Homes either, I am referring to EVERYONE who makes the decision to emigrate to the UK with a position awaiting them on a salary of £25,000 and above. My feeling is that they should be prepared to immediately start paying national contributions in order to have use of our NHS, just as any British worker has to when taking any position in employment.

People on benefits are a completely different thing. The great majority of Benefit claimants have paid at least some taxation in their lives before going on benefits - towards the NHS, unlike incoming migrants.

As the EU is very fond of saying, a fair level playing field.
Is it asking too much? We are far too soft in this country when it comes to the use of our taxation..

Swimmy, with respect, I am tired of hearing those same old chestnuts about who will we get to replace them? Are you therefore saying that it is okay for a two-tier taxation system to be in operation in the UK? even though you know as well as the highest paid, it is also at the expense of the lowest paid British workers? Sorry, but to me that stinks! British workers will never have the luxury of saying 'Oh well, if we have to pay the same as the everyone else, we're not going to do it!''
And yet you think the tax system covering this is okay?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Annie, Of course, everyone should be treated in an emergency. I would never contemplate thinking otherwise. I am not referring to just migrant workers asked to help pick crops or even the heroes of the NHS and Care Homes either, I am referring to EVERYONE who makes the decision to emigrate to the UK with a position awaiting them on a salary of £25,000 and above. My feeling is that they should be prepared to immediately start paying national contributions in order to have use of our NHS, just as any British worker has to when taking any position in employment.

People on benefits are a completely different thing. The great majority of Benefit claimants have paid at least some taxation in their lives before going on benefits - towards the NHS, unlike incoming migrants.

Is it asking too much? We are far too soft in this country when it comes to the use of our taxation..

Swimmy, with respect, I am tired of hearing those same old chestnuts about who will we get to replace them? Are you therefore saying that it is okay for a two-tier taxation system to be in operation in the UK? even though you know as well as the highest paid, it is also at the expense of the lowest paid British workers? Sorry, but to me that stinks! British workers will never have the luxury of saying 'Oh well, if we have to pay the same as the everyone else, we're not going to do it!''

NI does NOT pay for the NHS which is funded out of general taxation.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

20-05-2020, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
If we stop some immigrants from accessing all aspects of the NHS, have you given any thought as to what diseases and afflictions you could be releasing unchecked into the general community?
Also do not forget this is a surxharge and not as a substitute for NI contributions taken as PAYE from an established salary.
Please let me make myself clear. I am not against anyone using the facillities of our wonderful NHS If they reside in the UK, They should have full use of it, but they should not be allowed to use it without paying the same taxes towards it as the indigenous population have to.

As Annie said, no other EU country allows people to come into their country and make immediate use of their health facilities (barring emergencies) without first contributing.

A very sensible move I may say.

The one good thing that will certainly come out of our new points-based system is the fact that we will no longer have to put up with the NHS being abused by Health visitors flying in from all over the world and receiving hospital and doctor treatments for free!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

Hi

I am a firm believer in that any one who comes here should pay their way.

Our stupidity in not doing this is why we have so many illegals trying to get here.

Our Benefits System is a nonsense.

If we impose additional costs on those who come here because we need them we save nothing and incur additional costs in wages and admin.

This is a Financial Stupidity.

Yes, they will have to pay NI to Earn any Pension.

To force them to pay upfront for medical treatment is simply going to put the costs up to us.
https://www.health.org.uk/news-and-c...s-the-evidence

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top