Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 11:52 PM

Re: another scam

Originally Posted by Davenorave ->
A couple of weeks ago I had an Email supposedly from the TV Licence people asking me to pay. I knew it was a scam or mistake! Because I pay for it communally each year where I live. Needless to say. I didn't pay.
The TV licence one was so convincing that the TV licensing website has a note to warn against it.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 03:54 PM

Another scam.

Covid19 scam
Telephone call received - clearly a scam.
‘Good morning, I'm calling from the NHS track and trace service. According to our system, you are likely to have been in close proximity to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. This means that you now need to self-isolate for 7 days and take a COVID-19 test.'
'OK. Can you tell me who that person was?'
'I'm not able to tell you that. That is confidential information.'
'Right. Um... so ....'
'But you do need to be tested within the next 72 hours. So can I just get the best mailing address so that we can send a kit to you?'
'Ok (gave address)'
'Thank you - and I just need to take a payment card so that we can finalise this and send the kit to you.'
'Sorry - a payment card? I thought this was all free?'
'No - I'm afraid not. There is a one-off fee of £500 for the kit, and test results. Could you read off the long card number for me, please, when you're ready.'
'No - that's not right. This is part of the NHS so there's no charge.'
'I'm afraid there is. Can you give me the card number please - this is very important, and there are penalties for not complying.'
Puts phone down.

Checked with a govt tracer who said - THIS IS A SCAM. This is not how we work. There is no payment details of any kind taken by ANY of our teams. Please please do not give out your bank or payment details to anyone saying they are from track and trace. Track and trace will only confirm details with you and offer advice, they will not ask for any bank or payment details EVER. We will tell you who we are looking to speak to, we will give you the phone number and website to confirm who we are.”
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Another scam.

Covid19 scam
Telephone call received - clearly a scam.
‘Good morning, I'm calling from the NHS track and trace service. According to our system, you are likely to have been in close proximity to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. This means that you now need to self-isolate for 7 days and take a COVID-19 test.'
'OK. Can you tell me who that person was?'
'I'm not able to tell you that. That is confidential information.'
'Right. Um... so ....'
'But you do need to be tested within the next 72 hours. So can I just get the best mailing address so that we can send a kit to you?'
'Ok (gave address)'
'Thank you - and I just need to take a payment card so that we can finalise this and send the kit to you.'
'Sorry - a payment card? I thought this was all free?'
'No - I'm afraid not. There is a one-off fee of £500 for the kit, and test results. Could you read off the long card number for me, please, when you're ready.'
'No - that's not right. This is part of the NHS so there's no charge.'
'I'm afraid there is. Can you give me the card number please - this is very important, and there are penalties for not complying.'
Puts phone down.

Checked with a govt tracer who said - THIS IS A SCAM. This is not how we work. There is no payment details of any kind taken by ANY of our teams. Please please do not give out your bank or payment details to anyone saying they are from track and trace. Track and trace will only confirm details with you and offer advice, they will not ask for any bank or payment details EVER. We will tell you who we are looking to speak to, we will give you the phone number and website to confirm who we are.”
Thanks for the warning Galty
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 03:59 PM

Thanks Galty
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 09:15 PM

Cheers Galty, will watch out for that one.......The barstewards!
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 01:53 PM

Had email from "Netflix"this morning informing me that my account was frozen until I paid-I don't have a Netflix account!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 02:03 PM

Regarding Galty's warning about the Trace & Test scams, I had a warning this morning from 'Action Fraud' (to which I subscribe) about this.

Hope you don't mind Galty if I copy/paste the relevant part for us all to read:

" NHS Test and Trace scams:

The NHS Test and Trace service plays an important role in the fight against coronavirus and it’s vital the public have confidence and trust in the service. However, we understand the concerns people have about the opportunity for criminals to commit scams.

What you need to know:

Contact tracers will only call you from the number 0300 013 5000. Anyone who does not wish to talk over the phone can request the NHS Test and Trace service to send an email or text instead, inviting them to log into the web-based service.

All text or emails sent by NHS Test and Trace will ask people to sign into the contact tracing website and will provide you with a unique reference number. We would advise people to type the web address https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk directly into their browser, followed by the unique reference number given to you, rather than clicking on any link provided in the message.

The NHS Test and Trace service will never:

ask you to dial a premium rate number to speak to them (for example, those starting 09 or 087)
ask you to make any form of payment or purchase a product or any kind
ask for any details about your bank account
ask for your social media identities or login details, or those of your contacts
ask you for any passwords or PINs, or ask you to set up any passwords or PINs over the phone
ask you to download any software to your PC or ask you to hand over control of your PC, smartphone or tablet to anyone else
ask you to access any website that does not belong to the government or NHS

If you think you have been a victim of fraud, please report it to Action Fraud at https://www.actionfraud.police.uk or by calling 0300 123 2040. If you live in Scotland, please report directly to Police Scotland by calling 101.​​​​​​​
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 02:11 PM

Just tell the SOB's to write using snail mail. There is absolutely no reason that they won't or can't. Don't give them your address because if they don't already know it'll be bullshit.

If it's legit they will.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Just tell the SOB's to write using snail mail. There is absolutely no reason that they won't or can't. Don't give them your address because if they don't already know it'll be bullshit.

If it's legit they will.

I really loath all these scammers, Todger.
Not every single person is savvy enough to recognise these scumbags, and I guess that's what makes their vile occupation all worthwhile.

It's all wrong that we have to be on constant alert because of them.
Nervous about opening mail, or picking the phone up, or answering your own front door.

If only they put their brains to good use instead of bad, we'd all be better off.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I really loath all these scammers, Todger.
Not every single person is savvy enough to recognise these scumbags, and I guess that's what makes their vile occupation all worthwhile.

It's all wrong that we have to be on constant alert because of them.
Nervous about opening mail, or picking the phone up, or answering your own front door.

If only they put their brains to good use instead of bad, we'd all be better off.
Couldn't agree with you more Mups. However, unfortunately scammers find what they do is far more lucrative than working for a living, as most of us do or have done.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top