Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 08:45 AM

Re: That’s it for Shearings!

Apparently they were part of a larger holiday group which has gone under with the loss of thousands of jobs! Tragically though, hundreds, probably thousands of more companies, will certainly go to the wall before this horrendous pandemic is finished with us. The world will be a very different place hereafter...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 09:19 AM

Yes Barry, National Holidays also is under the parent company. My brother said this months ago, that life as we know it is no more.

I mentioned hairdressers to my ex neighbour on the phone last night, saying if they are to reopen in July, who's to say we can get an appointment straight away (told her my hair badly needs cutting and had thought of wielding the scissors myself). She replied 'who's to say your hairdresser will still be in business then!' I fear she may be right.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Apparently they were part of a larger holiday group which has gone under with the loss of thousands of jobs! Tragically though, hundreds, probably thousands of more companies, will certainly go to the wall before this horrendous pandemic is finished with us. The world will be a very different place hereafter...
Isn't this nearly always the case Barry, small family run businesses with a good service and loyal employees get taken over by large groups and it all gets spread too thinly. Employees no longer know who their boss is and they become just a clock number.
Profit for the shareholders becomes the main aim and service takes a dive because most of the competition belongs to the same group. The large companies either buy up the family run ones or price them out of the market, it's as much our fault really because we all like a bargain....Trouble is, when they do go down, they go down hard with the loss of thousands of jobs.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 10:52 AM

Hi

Shearings will be a huge loss with many redundancies.

It is not just the headline numbers, it is all those in the supply chain.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 11:00 AM

Same with national, they went bust too, had a call this morning that our london trip wont be going ahead in ocober.

Ive been on loads of national trips, they will be missed. Hopefully one day they can start a new business again.
So sorry for all those lost jobs, the lady who rang me this morning was almost in tears when she was giing me the bad news.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 11:24 AM

It's really making me wonder if this is all bollix and some companies are being targeted. Every day we are faced by the media and the BBC posting the roll call of death of deceased and newly infected, and we wait with baited breath for the next days sombre bulletin. What happened in previous viral attacks where numbers were far greater, and past by hardly noticed by the general public?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top