Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 10:59 AM

Re: Boris Johnson's New Bridge ....

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I think Boris should stay away from bridges?
Donkeyman!
Along with Billie Joe McAllister.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 11:24 AM

He does have a point.

After all HS2 isn't all about bums on seats it's also about rapid transport of freight.

Taking horribly polluting trucks off our trunk roads where in addition to the filth they quite literally pump out into the air we breathe and damage the environment they occupy a huge footprint on the roads and are a real danger to all.

We need to move to bulk transport by other than road, and local distribution from freight terminals by non polluting means.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:04 PM

I was born and bred in Stranraer near Portpatrick where this bridge is proposed to start from Scotland. Those of us from Galloway are well aware of the depth of the Irish Sea, Beauforts Dyke and the munitions dumped there after the war.
Munitions are routinely washed up on local shores due to the fact that many of the ships doing the dumping didn’t go as far as Beaufort as they didn’t fancy the heavy seas. Add to that the main road (A75) isn’t fit for purpose as it is and it doesn’t go as far Portpatrick.
The announcement coming a couple of days before the go ahead for the purely English project HS2 is, how can I put it, suspicious.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:30 PM

If they do go ahead with the bridge I hope they pick a better design than the new £1.35bn Queensferry crossing. It has been closed since Monday with ice falling from the supporting cables damaging cars crossing. Luckily nobody has been seriously injured. Latest news the bridge has just reopened.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 02:18 PM

Don't think I fancy driving something like this. I know I love watching stormy seas but with my feet firmly on the old Terra Firma.

big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
I was born and bred in Stranraer near Portpatrick where this bridge is proposed to start from Scotland. Those of us from Galloway are well aware of the depth of the Irish Sea, Beauforts Dyke and the munitions dumped there after the war.
Munitions are routinely washed up on local shores due to the fact that many of the ships doing the dumping didn’t go as far as Beaufort as they didn’t fancy the heavy seas. Add to that the main road (A75) isn’t fit for purpose as it is and it doesn’t go as far Portpatrick.
The announcement coming a couple of days before the go ahead for the purely English project HS2 is, how can I put it, suspicious.
I think this is just a 'wind up' and there is no intention of building this bridge.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 03:08 PM

It depends whether the return will justify the cost.
The rather lovely bridge between Sweden and Denmark is well used daily by commuters.
Will it need to be a toll bridge to recoup some of the cost.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 03:43 PM

Hi

It is not going to happen.

Just look at the costs of linking it to the Motorway Network.

Locally, we send 170 HGVs a day to Ireland.

An 80 mile trip, not to be replaced by a 200 mile trip.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
He does have a point.

After all HS2 isn't all about bums on seats it's also about rapid transport of freight.

Taking horribly polluting trucks off our trunk roads where in addition to the filth they quite literally pump out into the air we breathe and damage the environment they occupy a huge footprint on the roads and are a real danger to all.

We need to move to bulk transport by other than road, and local distribution from freight terminals by non polluting means.
Whilst l agree about the rail freight Todgy, l dont think HS2 was
ever meant to carry freight at all? I have never seen a mention of
freight any where?
How can they fit freight trains in with the projected 14 high speed
trains per hr they optimisticly boast about??
All these promises are just to motivate more money out of our
gullible politicians!!
Donkeyman!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 04:17 PM

The last thing Ireland needs is brainless Boris's bridge!

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top