Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 07:26 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Whilst Rocky is lapping up his saucer of healthy Guinness he would not realise that sickies no longer get that as part of what was once part of NHS treatment

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-tha...s-a-known-fact

Not sure when it was stopped..maybe this had something to do with it .

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 10:40 PM

Thanks for that bit of film nostalgia Solo, very enjoyable for me.

There must be something healthy about Guinness, two people very dear to me have benefitted health wise by taking Guinness’s stout in moderation, not to mention meself, so I’m a great believer in it and I know it’s not to everyone’s taste.
My Dad had TB as a young married man, he was in and out of different TB sanatoriums for ten years from 1948 to 1958, when he was finally discharged he was as thin as a stick and it was recommended by his doctors that he take two half pint bottles of Guinness a day, he wasn’t long about building himself up and he went back to work at his old job as a train driver, he loved his pint right up to the end and he was 94 when he died.
Phyllis was anaemic as a young girl and had regular fainting spells, anytime we went to mass together I would always have to take her outside to the fresh air halfway through it, she too was recommended a bottle of stout with her meals, now the only time she faints is when she’s had too much of the stuff.

This is one of Phyllis’s party pieces and when she sings it in the local (mind you it takes a good few bottles of anti faint to get her going), she has all the other old biddies in floods of tears, she’s not a bad singer either, get your hankies ready for this real tear jerker folks.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 11:33 PM

It maybe time to Drink to Lily the Pink.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It maybe time to Drink to Lily the Pink.
I certainly will drink to good old Lily Pinkham...Graham, I and friends rendered many rousing choruses of that so thank you for the memories spitty.

http://old.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php...acd9dd0022bf89
solo
UK

14-02-2020, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Thanks for that bit of film nostalgia Solo, very enjoyable for me.

There must be something healthy about Guinness, two people very dear to me have benefitted health wise by taking Guinness’s stout in moderation, not to mention meself, so I’m a great believer in it and I know it’s not to everyone’s taste.
]
Tried and true doesn't seem to mean much these days does it. Milk Stout and Guinness surely must be a cheaper tonic than some of these pharmacuetical prices they charge these days. Same with all these fancy cleaning products that are supposed to whack germs that private companies are making a fortune from. I don't suppose there is much profit to be made from Dettol !!!

Remember hearing Nobodys child for the first time and thinking it was all about me as my Mum had threatened to give me to the gypsy for being naughty
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Tried and true doesn't seem to mean much these days does it. Milk Stout and Guinness surely must be a cheaper tonic than some of these pharmacuetical prices they charge these days. Same with all these fancy cleaning products that are supposed to whack germs that private companies are making a fortune from. I don't suppose there is much profit to be made from Dettol !!!

Remember hearing Nobodys child for the first time and thinking it was all about me as my Mum had threatened to give me to the gypsy for being naughty
Don't know about that, wish I had been in the Lab, with a "Germ of an Idea" when Dettol was invented.
solo
UK

15-02-2020, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Don't know about that, wish I had been in the Lab, with a "Germ of an Idea" when Dettol was invented.
Not sure that would have been a good idea as Hitler planned to bomb the Dettol factory in Hull as he thought Dettol would help Britain win the war
solo
UK

15-02-2020, 05:35 PM

Saturday smile.....

Every now and then you find something that whilst very tiny...is an absolute delight to see.

This is a sea angel ..or sea slug that lives in the cold North Atlantic Ocean

biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 06:09 PM

oo that's made me fancy some Tangerine Dream
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 06:59 PM

Enjoy your Tangerine dream Biffo.

So many different life forms on this planet, makes you wonder more what is the meaning of life, any form of life, you can clearly see that slugs brain, I wonder what its thinking, some other creature will eat that creature and so on, is life just a continuing cycle of energy consuming energy? and who consumes us?, surely there has to be something higher than us disagreeable lot down here. So many questions and there is so much we’ll never know.

Dettol was powerful stuff, my Mother used to call it “Death to all”, referring to the germs of course and not in the Hitler sense . I say ‘was’ because I think they toned it down as per EU regulations, same as with the Jeyes Fluid, the old Jeyes Fluid would take paint off doors.
I found the best all rounder as an antiseptic is good old reliable TCP, you could gargle a sore throat with it (heavily diluted of course), use it on all cuts and abrasions, prevent cold sores if administered on a bit of cotton wool at the first tingle in the lips, yes there are many uses, only problem is you smell like emergency ward 10 for a while so best not to mix socially till the whiff eases down.
We always keep a bottle of it handy, as does my daughter and son for their families.

I’ve always enjoyed good science fiction stories, they are showcases for the human imagination, from HG.Wells right up to Star Trek’s creator Gene Roddenberry, and where would mankind be without imagination.
Of all the stuff I’ve watched and read I have yet to come across a story about a person who lived his/her life backwards.
Measured time is man’s own creation to give him some sort of bearing in this life, every creature and plant has it’s own time system and they all vary, for instance we all know that a day is a whole lifetime to a Butterfly.
So what if by some accident of fate an individuals life slowly started to reverse and instead of getting older he started to get younger every day until he finally “Died in reverse” in other words he went right back down to the nothing he was before he was conceived, I believe that’s what actually happens to us when we die-go back to the nothing we were before we were “made”
A good science fiction writer could have a field day with a subject like this, the possibilities of adventure, tragedy, romance, conflict, and comedy here are endless and i would be one of the first to buy the book.
Oscar Wilde’s Dorian Gray would be left in the shade.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top