Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 11:58 AM

Re: MoT

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Shropshiregirl, have you a local council mot centre nearby, if so you could use them, that don’t just mot council vehicles they do joe public as well, and they don’t repair or sell parts so there’s nothing in it for them to fail cars on things that aren’t required,
Sorry replying so late Primus. Yes, the council MOT centre nearest to us in Oswestry is 18 miles away, either Wrexham or Shrewsbury, (I did check when searching for another MOT centre). Unfortunately, when I checked with Oswestry council, they said we did not have one locally because we are only a small town council.
But thankfully, perfectly happy now we have found a trustworthy and independent MOT tester. At least if he finds something wrong next February, we will know it is genuine.
Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated and sure it will help others who may not have known about Council MOT testers.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:04 PM

Thank you also Ray. I only wish I had known about the reputation of K before parting with so much money. The aggravating thing about it all was that once it was there, there was no opportunity to drive it elsewhere to see if what they said was true. The customer, when told the faults deem the vehicle too dangerous to drive, makes it impossible to move without the repairs being done there and then in order for it to pass it's MOT. So the customer is a prisoner until the money is paid. Seems very wrong but nothing we can do.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 09:46 PM

Glad you’ve found someone you can trust shroppy, just a thought, but you could ask if he’ll do a pre mot a week or so before your next test, then he’ll be able to identify any issues that may require doing, that way you can get it sorted before hand, and still be able to drive it ( providing there’s nothing serious) then it should sail through it’s mot...
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 10:17 PM

The new MoT regulations seem to be a green light for garages to rip us off. You can be prosecuted if your car fails the MoT and you drive it and police stop you, even if the current MoT hasn't expired. There is a fine of up to £2,500 and a driving ban I understand for doing that, depending on what the car failed the MoT on.

Links below gives more information for anyone interested:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/5423...ers-new-rules/

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car...hasnt-expired/
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 04:25 PM

Despite all the problems involved in having your vehicle get through the MoT it is a legal requirement. Unlike your vehicle's Insurance and Vehicle Excise Duty expiry though there is no reminder issued advising that your MoT is due to expire, so it can easily be overlooked.

I've just had a reminder through that my car's MoT expires in one month. Some of you may find this service useful, it was done by registering using the link below:

https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 04:28 PM

Great find Baz
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 06:45 PM

How not to deal with MOT Advisories!

Last year the MOT centre gave me an advisory that my front nearside tyre was approaching it's end.
So, I booked in for an MOT, this week, and took it to the tyre fitter the day before the the MOT I had booked.

Bad idea!

The tyre fitter changed the tyre but damaged the TPMS (tyre pressure system).

The fitter realised he had caused the damage & suggested that he would pay for a replacement valve (later found to be 160 quid fitted).

So, after having booked in, with Hyundai,to do the fix next week, I went ahead with the MOT, today.

That was not a good idea as I was told that a warning light means FAIL.

Luckily, the MOT test centre is staffed by professionals and they sorted me out.

We live but we don't always learn!

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top