Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 11:42 PM

Train Crash

The Sydney to Melbourne "Express" was derailed last night 45km north of Melbourne killing two people. It was travelling on the standard gauge track (Victoria uses broad gauge track - Years ago interstate train travellers had to change trains at the NSW/Victoria border))

Investigators have begun sifting through the wreckage of a train that derailed north of Melbourne last night, killing two people and injuring 12 others.

The XPT train, which was carrying 160 passengers, was travelling from Sydney to Melbourne when it derailed at Wallan shortly before 8:00pm.

The impact killed the train's driver, a 54-year-old ACT man, and the train pilot, a 49-year-old Castlemaine woman, Victoria Police confirmed this morning.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/vict...21-p542xw.html
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 12:47 AM

Re: Train Crash

Tragic. What can I say. No explanation yet?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 05:25 AM

I too was wondering what caused the derailment. Not only is this a shame for the people involved, countries like mine use accidents like these to fight against public transportation. After traveling by rail this summer in Italy, I am an avid proponent of high speed rail.

Bruce and Keezoy, have you traveled much on your rail system? If so, what is your impression?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I too was wondering what caused the derailment. Not only is this a shame for the people involved, countries like mine use accidents like these to fight against public transportation. After traveling by rail this summer in Italy, I am an avid proponent of high speed rail.

Bruce and Keezoy, have you traveled much on your rail system? If so, what is your impression?
There is nothing high speed about Australian rail, to get from Wollongong to Sydney by train (less than 80km) takes about 90 minutes - five minutes longer than it took by steam train. On the plus side compared to the UK it is very cheap. As a pensioner the metropolitan rail, ferry and bus system costs me a maximum of $2.50 a day (an area bounded by Newcastle, Wollongong and the Blue Mountains).

There is a proposal for a high speed inland route from Brisbane to Melbourne but whether it will ever be built is a moot point.

The train line from Alice Springs to Darwin was completed by the Howard government in the early 2000s without any business case or demand for such a line. Adelaide is now joined by rail to Darwin used mostly for freight and very expensive tourism.

https://journeybeyondrail.com.au/journeys/the-ghan/

The line from Sydney to Melbourne is plagued by track difficulties because of the terrain it crosses. The journey takes 11 hours, I could drive it in 9.5 hours, high speed rail could do it in 3 hours. On the whole Australian railways are very safe but it is quicker to walk.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 06:43 AM

I have a different opinion. No there's no high speed train (VFT) here and neither I might add is there in the US apart from a "fairly" high speed link between Washington, New York and Boston. Correct me SM if I'm wrong. But I live in the opposite direction from Sydney (North) to Bruce. I find the train trip from where I live to the city is comfortable, fast enough and very scenic with a lot of the line going through waterways and national park. Sometimes you get delays yes. Like you do anywhere. I have never traveled to Wollongong by train so I can't comment. But I have used the Sydney rail network for nearly 50 years and I have to say in the big picture I have never had a lot to complain about. But the roads are another story all together.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

21-02-2020, 08:10 AM

The H sets (OSCARs) on the South Coast line are double deckers with vandal proof, thinly upholstered, uncomfortable seats (they are OK for short journeys but hard as hell after an hour). They have reversible backs so you can face the direction of travel but the padding is thin. The older V line sets were much more comfortable even though the seat covering was vinyl.

Can't complain about the views from the train as most of the journey is through the Royal National Park then along the edge of the Pacific Ocean to Wollongong. I think it is one of the best train journeys in the world, it is just the trains themselves are crap.

They can only be used in sets of four so when two are coupled together they do not fit in the six carriage stations on the south coast so two carriages are off the platform.

The new trains being built in Korea are supposed to be more comfortable but with less seats - half facing one way and half facing the other to save on weight.

I have to say I used to like the Red Rattlers of the 50s and 60s they were a lot of fun.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 04:22 PM

It sounds like we are in the same situation as you. Yes, we have just one corridor on the east coast with a few projects in the works in California and Texas, along with a few others. I enjoy train travel both fast and slow and think the U.S. needs to bite the bullet (pun intended ) and get it done. I wish that people understood that pushing forward with trains doesn't mean we are trying to strip people of their cars.

Keezoy, we effectively lost the momentum of rail during the 50s and 60s when the car, tire, and fuel industries bought up lines and paved over them. That and President Eisenhower establishing the interstate was the death knell. Not that it was a bad thing. The national interstate system is fabulous, though aging and growing miserably congested all of the time. People equivocate cars with being a American, and any form of rail has received political pushback. Most would still rather sit in traffic in their own cars than travel quickly by rail - whether for pleasure or work. We need both.

Right now, there are a few projects in the works, but it's a nightmare of politics and funding to get anything completed.

I was also curious as I am already planning a lengthy visit there in a few years and collecting ideas. That South Coast line sounds tempting! Thanks for the pictures, Bruce!
keezoy
Australia

22-02-2020, 12:37 AM

Jeez I dunno Bruce. I've travelled on quite a few trains around the world and think ours are pretty good. In New York you get a line of seat along each side and the rest is standing room. The BART in San Francisco is more like ours from memory. Many others are like that without the two and three row seats we have. And I don't remember any double deckers over seas. And usually they are a lot cleaner and safer. Some of the trains I saw in other countries were disgusting. But to each their own.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top