Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 08:01 AM

CDs/DVDs

What is the best way to clean these?

Although I try to be careful with them - one or two have fingermarks on them. I have been told not to use kitchen roll etc., as this can scratch. Someone suggested 'baby wipes' but I haven't risked it

Any ideas?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 08:42 AM

Re: CDs/DVDs

A clean white handkerchief is all I use. Breathe on the disc first then gently wipe it over. Underside of course not the label side. Don't use a cloth that may shed "fur".
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 08:50 AM

All I can add is to wipe the disc FROM THE CENTER AND OUTWARD. Or so I have been told.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 09:00 AM

That's quite right Bakerman. Good advice.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 09:24 AM

Transfer them all to a hard disk then you won't need to worry about cleaning them again.

For CDs I use FairStars CD Ripper and for DVDs Handbrake

To rip protected DVDs you will also need libdvdcss.dll which you can get here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/102886/how...-can-rip-them/

The page also tells you how to do it.

The advice above is right too but you can use a Kleenex tissue (not toilet paper) It won't scratch either. Personally I just use supermarket own brand tissues
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 11:23 AM

I just use windows 10 to rip from CD/DVD discs

https://www.easytechguides.com/rip-a-cd-in-windows.html
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 12:11 PM

How to Clean a Dirty CD (with videos)

https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Dirty-CD

CDs that have been left out of their cases are prone to picking up dust, fingerprints, and assorted smudges, all of which can hinder their ability to play properly. Luckily, cleaning them is a cinch, and can be done with a handful of common household supplies. The most straightforward option is to wipe the underside of the disc lightly with a mild soap solution before rinsing it with clean water.
I can't vouch for the methods because my CD/DVDs only ever need a wipe, from the centre outwards, with a microfibre cloth.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 12:50 PM

Thank you everyone for the advice - will give the microfibre cloths a try - maybe keep one just for the CDs.

Why from centre outward?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Thank you everyone for the advice - will give the microfibre cloths a try - maybe keep one just for the CDs.

Why from centre outward?
Any other motion, particularly circular, may impact on the disc surface .....

Never use too much pressure, either .....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

21-02-2020, 01:04 PM

Thanks Omah!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top