Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 08:42 PM

Re: Boiler.

Originally Posted by galty ->
How Victorian.

Get a combie it is least 93% effecent(Means every £1 spent on Gas you get 93% worth of heat)

Your System runs at about 74%
Originally Posted by fender ->
You can get condensing system boilers which are as efficient as a combi. maybe that's what he has...
The last service showed it at 93%.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Yes, Hive running well here.
Does it help at all?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
The last service showed it at 93%.
Not if you have an open vented system with a tank in the loft
caricature
Devon,England.

22-02-2020, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Not if you have an open vented system with a tank in the loft
Not going to get into an argument,but the paper work says 93%.

But supposing it was as you say,whats the cost to benefit ratio of replacement,factoring in an electric shower.Circa £1500 for the two,take some getting back with savings even over the lifetime of a boiler I'd surmise.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:18 AM

Not going to get into an argument,but the paper work says 93%.

But supposing it was as you say,whats the cost to benefit ratio of replacement,factoring in an electric shower.Circa £1500 for the two,take some getting back with savings even over the lifetime of a boiler I'd surmise.

I spent my working life installing heating systems from 1969.
and had to take courses ever 5 years to keep up dated

You were lied to.

No open vented system is more than 70%
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:52 AM

Chap went to a house to fix a boiler. whan the lady answereds the front door he asked where the old geezer was. She said he was working in the garden
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:27 AM

Does it help at all?
It depends on how you want to use it.

If I'm going out for the day, I turn the heating down and then, half an hour before coming home, I turn it back up, or down, on my mobile.

Similarly, I adjust the how water heating times depending on when the bath is going to be used.

There are the usual arguments about whether or not that saves any money - I think it does.

Certainly it works for those weekends away, or holidays, as you can put it off or on from wherever you are.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:56 PM

@ Caricature. It would help if we knew the make, model and age of your boiler to estimate its efficiency.
@ Galty Modern range boilers (open vented) such as the Vaillant ECO-TECH run at 89.2 % efficiency.
The Viesman Vitodens can achieve 97% efficiency through its stainless steel HX
The Worcester Greenstar is 92% efficient.
Your efficiency rating must be based on old boilers
Have a look here : https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/should...-with-a-combi/
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 12:09 AM

We were told that as we have micro bore pipes a combi boiler pressure could split the pipes or joints
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-02-2020, 12:33 AM

When we moved in 5 years ago we had a new boiler fitted. More recently 2 radiators out and replaced with heated towel rails. so now 11 rads and 2 rails. As the towel rails are on the central heating system presumably the whole was flused at the same time . Not keen on microbore but it is what was installed when the house was built in the mid 1980's when microbore was "fashionable"

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top