Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 12:21 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You do not mention the "Sensitive" types who exited the Cinema, the ones who did not run with the pack, no counselling back then.
LOL ..if you were 'Sensitive' you would never dare risk life and limb at the Saturday Flea pit unless you had enough coppers to buy everyone a ice lolly as protection

The flea pit films taught you early on where you were going to be in lifes pecking order...if you let it.

The handsome popular lads were always the heroes who rescued the local budding beauties tied to the nearest lamp post whilst those with lesser looks were either peppered with arrows..made to walk the plank... or blasted to smithereens with the obligatory space gun.

Those unlucky unpopular no lookers always...without fail..were either excluding totally or suffered a million ways to die that only the young can conjure up whilst at the same time knowing that nobody cared either way what happened to you.

This is where you could either learn.. stand your ground.. and show you were as good as anyone in life ...or accept where you had been shoved and live with it. Councelling came free of charge in those day...you just had to take heed

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 11:04 PM

True words there Solo, counselling was indeed free and you could be selective in who you took it from too, there was parental counselling, school teacher counselling, church counselling, and the one most of us preferred and trusted, counsel from your mates.
Choosing the latter was a mistake because they hadn’t a clue about important stuff either, they just made things up (especially where stuff about girls were concerned) to make an impression on the more sensitive kids like me, sort of a badge of authority to raise them up a peg in the ‘gang’, “Anything yeh want to know lads just ask Farreller, he’s been around and knows everything”
Farreller (aged 13 then) was credited with having went out with three different girls, wow! imagine all that he’d know, Dr. Ruth was only trotting after him on sexual matters.
Farreller had been to Hong Kong for two years when his dad was stationed there, and he was the one who told us all about the Chinese girls with the horizontal private parts, how strange is that we all thought, the thing is we all believed it for years after, then another fella joined the navy when he was old enough and when he came home on leave he said it was all codswallop.
Well what do you expect, and how could we prove the Farrell fella wrong, there were no Chinese people in Dublin then, not even a restaurant.

Quote Spitfire:
“ There is one potential candidate in that photo, the one with the closed mouth”

That child is deep in thought Spitty, taking everything on the screen in and storing it away for future use, one of the clever ones I’d reckon, I’ll bet she didn’t end up in a factory sewing shirts, she’s management material that lass.

Spitty you reminded me of the chap who narrated this record many years ago, older members may remember it, he was once an American newsreader by the name of Wink Martindale, a one hit wonder in the record recording game, I wondered if he’s a distant relation of Billy Eyelash? they could have opened up an opticians “Wink & Eyelash” the best blinking opticians in town.
That's the dirty dozen you see, how many of the actors can you name? I only got Lee Marvin, Telly Savalas, and Charles Bronson.

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 04:59 PM

LOL Jem..I only found out what fibbers lads are once I lived in the Far East that oriental ladies made the same sound as we whities from blighty did when sliding down a bannister..naked

Don't you just love stories like the Ghost ship that has turned up In Ireland. Although not quite so romantic as the Mary Celeste you do wonder with all our so called security systems in place how it managed to float on without being noticed for so long.

Wonder how long it will take for the owners to turn up once the wreckers get to work..not that I am accusing the law abiding Corkonians of such mercenary practice

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 10:21 PM

I forgot to add regarding that peculiarity of oriental Ladies personal anatomy, that every time an oriental woman appeared in a bathing suit on the cinema screen all the young lads heads would go sideways simultaneously like a one way ‘Mexican wave’

My favourite shipwreck was the one in the film ‘Whisky Galore’, no ghosts but plenty of spirits to warm the cockles of your heart.
Cork folks are very enterprising, wouldn’t surprise me if some businessman bought it and refurbished it, then opened it up as a tourist hotel.

Seriously, this weather has me bored stiff, if it wasn’t for the odd trip up to the local I’d go stir crazy sitting in the house.
I managed to get a bit of paint onto the little cabin today, it’s a dark green colour called ‘Woodland green’ so it will make the cabin blend in with the high 7’ hedge that surrounds the whole front garden, and a good bit of the back, I’m thinking I’ll need to do three coats of paint to get it right.
Phyllis tells me she spotted two robins yesterday, they come to nest in the hedge every year, perhaps a sign of better weather on the way?
I do love the warm weather, you can get much more things done then.

Ah the soothing sound of Ella Fitzgerald.

solo
UK

20-02-2020, 08:25 PM

My beloved garden shed is being held together by a huge clematis and Woodland green paint and has more holes in it than my kitchen colander but at the moment is being used as a prospective maternity ward by my fox.

She does this every year and I leave her be to just get on with it as the cubs will eventually play out on the lawn and thats a lovely sight to watch from the window.

The shed does need replacing but I really don't have the heart when there is so much life around it

Lovely comments below the clip..my favourite....My dad was so proud of the shed he put up that he called my mother to look out the window at it and make him a cup of tea. He leaned on it and it fell over!

biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 09:30 PM

Thank you! (I hadn't seen that)
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

21-02-2020, 10:26 PM

I got a good laugh from that clip Solo, thanks, and good of you to look after the fox, or should that be vixen?, no a vixen is a maiden fox is it not?, like a filly is a maiden horse, then when she foals she’s a mare, ah forget it, a fox is a fox is a fox, as Maggie would say.

I never look up medical stuff on the internet, from what I hear there are so many self appointed ‘experts’ out there that after spending half an hour reading all the crap you’d be convinced you only had 24 hours to live.
One of my good mottos is ’never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you’, it has served me well over the years.
I know not what's inside me nor most of the medical terms given the various bits needed for a body to function, barring the common parts like heart, lungs liver, and kidneys, after that I’m lost, but no doubt it will be made familiar to me when they start to go haywire, but I’ll cross me bridges when I come to them, what the eye doesn’t see the heart doesn’t grieve for.
So when I was listening to a Jeeves and Wooster audio book last night in bed, Wooster said on going to meet his notorious Aunt Agatha, who chews broken bottles and kills rats with her teeth, that at the thoughts of seeing her his ‘gizzard froze’.
I didn’t know humans had gizzards, and I’m not going to look it up to find out, if I have one it has never troubled me so I won’t trouble it.
I remember as a child my grandmother cleaning out chickens and taking out a little thing that looked to me like a flexible walnut, splitting it with a knife and inside was a lot of sandy stuff and small stones, she said she always opened the gizzards after once finding a half sovereign inside one when she was a maid in Liverpool.
I have yet to hear anyone complain of having a pain in their gizzard or having a gizzard removed, repaired or replaced, if we have a gizzard it’s nice to know there is a part of ones body that never bothers one for a change.

Believe it or not but one morning the wife woke me up and complained she had a pain in her hair!!!
I told her to comb it out and then went back to sleep, honest to God, women, they are a species all of their own, still you have to love them, and where would we be without them.

solo
UK

22-02-2020, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by biffo ->
Thank you! (I hadn't seen that)
Can't beat the old ones biffo..
solo
UK

22-02-2020, 12:20 PM

Where your health is concerned there is nowt more true than too much knowledge is a bad thing Jem.

Nothing worse than lying in a bed waiting for proceedures that you know from experience are going to be a b***dy nightmare and your Doctor winking saying "but you know all about that don't you"....and you lying there thinking "God I wished I didn't".

Some wise person once said "igorance is bliss" and I am sure they uttered that from experience.

As a kid I loved watching our butcher prepare chickens cos we were always given the chicken feet so we could pull the tendons to make them move..also the fluffy rabbits tail you could wear till it stunk...and I will have you know that I have had many an eyeball to eyeball deep and meaningful conversation with a pigs head. Sorted many a world problem out without a cross word being said....can you imagine kids today having those pleasures and all for free with a tasty nourishing meal at the end of it.

A free plastic toy with a Macs just doesn't have the same thrill does it.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

22-02-2020, 10:14 PM

Yes indeed a spell in a hospital sure makes you appreciate your privacy and put things into perspective. I saw an anonymous quote somewhere and I liked it, so true when you think about it.
‘If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d grab ours back”

I see the ‘big bang’ theory got knocked on the head, not surprisingly, too many holes in it, black holes no doubt.
That theory has held solid with all the experts for over 30 years now and has sent us all back to the drawing board confused and bewildered.
That’s what I don’t like about scientists putting out their theories as facts, the big bang was put to us all as undeniable fact, the cheeky buggers even went into nano seconds as to what took place immediately afterwards, just as it was with the ‘flat earth’ theory a few centuries before, put forward by men of supposedly infallible knowledge then and now, knowledge that us mere laymen/women dare not question.
I love everyone’s ideas as to how the universe was formed, I even have one of me own, but please don’t ram them down peoples throats as facts until proven to be facts, when in conversation about the subject it’s enough to put your tuppence worth in by saying “Well this is the way I imagine it happened” and end with “How do you think it all began my friend?”
Now we have lost more than 30 years chasing a wild golden goose with n’er a sign of a golden egg, and the big bang believers can all sit at the bottom of the class with the flat earth dunces, serves them right.

All the ads I see for Alexa seem to ask the same four basic tasks, did you know that everything you say to this robotic box is recorded and stored as data?, see the BBC news piece on it.
It’s like we are all being hypnotised and lulled into a great big data cloud, the beginning of total control ?

(1) What’s the weather like Alexa?
(2} Play my favourite tune Alexa”
(3) What time is it Alexa?”
(4) Turn on/off the lights Alexa”

If you know more tasks feel free to add them, but no rude ones like “Scratch my arse Alexa”, that’ll come in with the newer model , but those listed are the ones that kept repeating over and over again on the BBC list I looked at.
My point here is that all the actors in the ads are able bodied people, indeed most of them are young folks, and the ad is aimed at the young, so if a young person is too lazy to (1) Look out the window to see if it’s raining or snowing (2) Select your favourite tune from the list of tunes you have stored on a device (3) Turn your arm over to look at your wristwatch (4) Flick on a light switch, then there is little hope for the human race.
Nothing wrong with labour saving devices, but something that openly encourages laziness and the consequences of habitual laziness, is a horse of a different colour, but maybe it’s just a passing fad like the hula hoop and the yo-yo of old.

Maybe if they had something that told you how to get home on foot from a strange country pub it would be helpful, i’ve got lost a few times in my younger days, slept in a barn in Mayo one time with a few cows, the four legged kind.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top