Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 12:07 PM

McAfee

McAfee ....

It seems to infiltrate computers whether you want it or not.

I've got ...

One W10 pc with Defender off, Firewall on. Avira Free running plus the occasional Malwarebytes scan.

One W10 pc with Defender on, Firewall on. No bloatware.

BT Web Protect at a network level.

Today I got this pop-up on both computers ....

What is this and do I need it?

>
>
>
>
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 12:33 PM

Re: McAfee

I seemto remember BT used McAfee, I got fed up with it popping up when I was with them. Even if you think you've got rid of it it still interferes.
Good luck.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I seemto remember BT used McAfee, I got fed up with it popping up when I was with them. Even if you think you've got rid of it it still interferes.
Good luck.
Ah ... is that where it came from! BT my ISP.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 01:15 PM

I wouldn't have anything by McAfee or Norton anywhere near my PC. Total invasive bloatware that slows the PC down.

I use BitDefender and Malwarebytes - both very efficient with no computer slowdown.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Good luck.
That used to be the joke back in the day.

What's the difference between McAfee and VD?

You can get rid of VD.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 01:56 PM

I used to have it. I had to get an IT guy to come and get it off my system. It is total crap and doesn't stop a thing.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 03:25 PM

That McAfee WebAdvisor mostly comes in when other software is installed, Very often, you don't get a choice no matter how careful the installation options are read. Fortunately though, it's not the full blown McAfee AV program. It is just a browser extension that can be easily removed from within the browser ..but check for signs of it in 'Programs & Features' too.

AV programs eh? There's always plenty to discuss about all of them. I quite often look at 'AV-Comparatives' and 'AV-Test' to see what they say. Can a leopard change its spots? Both Norton and McAfee come in for criticism nearly everywhere, yet these two testing sites rate them as fairly good.

I have used Bitdefender Internet Security for the last three years and will probably use it for a fourth. I have no experience of McAfee but have of Norton. Not the old Norton that was reportedly so awful but the newer version that was a total rewrite of the program in 2009. I have to say that it didn't slow the computer down at all and I kept it on the system for about 3 years.

The trouble is that once these programs have got bad reputations it tends to stay with them forever. No matter how much they may have changed in development, users tend never to forgive bad experiences.

As regards getting rid of AV or other security programs, I find they all can be difficult to totally remove. Even if the removal tools are used, there can still be files and/or Registry entries left behind. The only way to completely remove such programs is often, a clean installation of the system. The best thing to do is: Do your research, not just here but everywhere, decide on what you think is best and then stick with it.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

22-02-2020, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
That McAfee WebAdvisor mostly comes in when other software is installed, Very often, you don't get a choice no matter how careful the installation options are read. Fortunately though, it's not the full blown McAfee AV program. It is just a browser extension that can be easily removed from within the browser ..but check for signs of it in 'Programs & Features' too.

AV programs eh? There's always plenty to discuss about all of them. I quite often look at 'AV-Comparatives' and 'AV-Test' to see what they say. Can a leopard change its spots? Both Norton and McAfee come in for criticism nearly everywhere, yet these two testing sites rate them as fairly good.

I have used Bitdefender Internet Security for the last three years and will probably use it for a fourth. I have no experience of McAfee but have of Norton. Not the old Norton that was reportedly so awful but the newer version that was a total rewrite of the program in 2009. I have to say that it didn't slow the computer down at all and I kept it on the system for about 3 years.

The trouble is that once these programs have got bad reputations it tends to stay with them forever. No matter how much they may have changed in development, users tend never to forgive bad experiences.

As regards getting rid of AV or other security programs, I find they all can be difficult to totally remove. Even if the removal tools are used, there can still be files and/or Registry entries left behind. The only way to completely remove such programs is often, a clean installation of the system. The best thing to do is: Do your research, not just here but everywhere, decide on what you think is best and then stick with it.
Thanks Mart .... a browser extension ... I though, but didn't know what it's called.

I've unticked the box an clicked Done.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Thanks Mart .... a browser extension ... I though, but didn't know what it's called.

I've unticked the box an clicked Done.
That's good Just for information, other AV programs include browser extensions that you can either remove, disable or use. I think most browsers disable such extensions by default now but will allow users to enable them if that's what they want to do. However, I notice Microsoft Edge won't allow them to be installed at all.

The How-To Geek article linked to below says what they think of security program browser extensions:

https://www.howtogeek.com/239950/don...you-less-safe/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I wouldn't have anything by McAfee or Norton anywhere near my PC. Total invasive bloatware that slows the PC down.
Hear hear.
I find McAfee turning up like a bad penny all the time.
I download some free software, or even update it, and if I'm not looking carefully there is a small checkbox with a tick in it that I didn't put there!

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top