Join for free
Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 02:07 PM

Re: Smoking free county

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I post this as an ex-smoker, the worst kind of person to be against smoking. However, isn't it up to those who choose to smoke and perhaps risk harming or killing themselves? Smoking has been banned from almost everywhere that is enclosed, where there are other people but if out in the open air we all have the choice to walk further away to avoid the smoke.

A am also tee-total and almost always have been since I started riding motorcycles in my teens (too easy to fall off or have an accident). Again though, those that drink alcohol are free to do so, they probably realise the danger to health involved in doing that but that is their free choice to make.

Whatever next is go receive the call to ban it?

I shouldn't be the one,who walks away from the smoke...especially when trying to catch a bus....I do not want to inhale their smoke,thank you very much!.......keep it their own homes...not where the public are.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 03:19 PM

On the theory that my rights end where your nose begins, I can support banning of smoking in public places. However, if someone wants to kill themselves on their own property, it is not my business.

I could even support a ban on smoking even in private places if children were present. I was probably hooked on nicotine at birth. Both my parents smoked like a coal burning tramp freighter. They smoked in the car, with the windows up, on family outings in cool weather. They smoked at the dinner table and at TV time. I couldn't wait until I was old enough to follow in their footsteps. I now see it as a form of child abuse.

Of course, I grew up to be a smoker until I came to the realization that I was spending an extraordinary amount of money to build a good case of COPD and so I quit. I would not be approaching 70 if I had continued to smoke. (my father died at age 57 from emphysema from smoking good old Lucky Strikes....)
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 04:00 PM

Forget the bans. Tax smoking out of existence.

We need better roads.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Forget the bans. Tax smoking out of existence.

We need better roads.
The Tar in Cigarettes is no good for roads SM.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The Tar in Cigarettes is no good for roads SM.
Nothing like taking the wind out of my sails. I was sure I had the solution.

(Hahahaha . Brilliant.

This might be the best comeback ever. I'll be sharing this one all day. )
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 01:23 AM

I am, at present, a smoker. I do not smoke indoors, or places that will cause annoyance to others. As a smoker, I pay my taxes and the government get shite loads from us. We all know that it is wrong. Paradoxically, obesity is worse.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/03/warni...cers-10107020/
If you want to purchase a packet of ciggies from a shop, they are hidden behind closed doors. No problem, I can cope with that. Afterall, it's a nasty habit. However, as obesity (and perhaps alcohol) causes greater pressure on our NHS, why not put health warnings on all processed food (bacon, sausages etc) all alcoholic drinks. Huge signs at Macdonalds, Burger King etc warning of their fat content. Furthermore, signs in local cafes that serve full English breakfasts warning of the dangers of fat etc. The list is not exhaustive. Ban all adverts on media regarding fast food outlets. Look around your local shops and witness how many people are eating over-saturated crap from these outlets. For sure, I have the occasional saturated egg and bacon sarnie, but not on a daily basis. I agree that some smokers have scant regard for others where they smoke. However, the same could be applied to people that eat from fast food suppliers, then discard the wrapping / box on the street - but that is for another discussion.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 11:13 AM

Would not work in the surrounding area of Pitsea to many people love burning in their back gardens,plus the bbq's,plus the farmers.
Nope it would never work in our area, not that I am against it.
There are some sunny days I get myself settled in a sunny spot with a chilled Magnun and a book and then some bugger ruins it all by having a bbq or lighting a fire to burn something and that finish's my day I have to go inside and close the windows.
No good moaning about it,before I got emphysema I used to do the same,so my guess is its him upstairs getting his own back on me for not thinking of other's.
Such is life.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
I am, at present, a smoker. I do not smoke indoors, or places that will cause annoyance to others. As a smoker, I pay my taxes and the government get shite loads from us. We all know that it is wrong. Paradoxically, obesity is worse.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/03/warni...cers-10107020/
If you want to purchase a packet of ciggies from a shop, they are hidden behind closed doors. No problem, I can cope with that. Afterall, it's a nasty habit. However, as obesity (and perhaps alcohol) causes greater pressure on our NHS, why not put health warnings on all processed food (bacon, sausages etc) all alcoholic drinks. Huge signs at Macdonalds, Burger King etc warning of their fat content. Furthermore, signs in local cafes that serve full English breakfasts warning of the dangers of fat etc. The list is not exhaustive. Ban all adverts on media regarding fast food outlets. Look around your local shops and witness how many people are eating over-saturated crap from these outlets. For sure, I have the occasional saturated egg and bacon sarnie, but not on a daily basis. I agree that some smokers have scant regard for others where they smoke. However, the same could be applied to people that eat from fast food suppliers, then discard the wrapping / box on the street - but that is for another discussion.
Good post Gasman, and I seriously doubt those statistics that they have printed in the link.

According to data from the charity Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) smoking costs the Oxfordshire economy a total of £121.7m each year.

Approximately 10 per cent of the county’s population smokes regularly at the moment, which equates to approximately 54,804 people, according to the report.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 12:35 PM

As the government intend to outlaw the use of all fuels except smokeless coal and kiln dried wood for log burners and open fires from 2021 , it seems the dangers to health are at last being taken seriously.
These must pose as great if not greater threat than cigarettes?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I shouldn't be the one,who walks away from the smoke...especially when trying to catch a bus....I do not want to inhale their smoke,thank you very much!.......keep it their own homes...not where the public are.
Pauline, from my understanding, when the smoking ban first came in, the rules still stand today. Bus shelters that had sides to it, people were prohibited, but bus shelters that had a roof but no sides, one was allowed to smoke. Out of curiosity, did your bus shelter have sides?

Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top