Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 12:41 AM

Re: Is your browser out-dated?

Been using Firefox since it was a Netscape. Never had any trouble with it and sync all my preferences, bookmarks etc between my different machines.

From the same stable use Mozilla Filezilla (FTP), Thunderbird (Mailreader) and Lightning (Calendar - though perhaps these days it is considered an add in).

Use a lot of the wonderful add ins that can go with them and make life so much easier.

Have avoided Chrome, not that there is anything wrong with it but Google knows enough about me without giving them a free hit.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 01:18 AM

I never use the most up-to-date software. The latest versions are always full of holes esp Microsoft offerings. All part of the "protection racket" they run with anti-virus companies. the so called "hackers" (aka anti-virus companies) exploit the holes (left deliberately imo) in the software by Microsoft & Co. The viruses circulate for a short time until the anti-virus companies add the required protection into their systems. At that point a new virus needs to be invented. This rinse-repeat cycle can only go on for a short time as Microsoft then come under scrutiny for not plugging the hole that is being exploited. So they plug it with a "security update" which comes bundled with "other stuff" you don't know about. The "hackers" then find the next hole that is conveniently able to be exploited and the cycle continues. Eventually the holes are all plugged and so a new version of the browser or other software has to be created and released which comes with a whole set of new holes to be exploited. Rinse repeat ad-nauseum, generating $billions in anti-virus subscriptions for these companies.

I stick with old versions of browsers. Any security holes have long since been plugged and hackers have long since moved on to target the later versions. The later versions offer us very little by way of actual better functionality and doubtless have increased "sniffing" and tracking built in.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I stick with old versions of browsers. Any security holes have long since been plugged and hackers have long since moved on to target the later versions. The later versions offer us very little by way of actual better functionality and doubtless have increased "sniffing" and tracking built in.
I believe the opposite to be the case. Using old versions of browsers means that you're using a browser where security holes haven't been plugged. You're not going to avoid any sniffing and tracking that might be taking place no matter what the browser version is. However, if feeling as if the system is being beaten a bit by using old browser versions I guess that's an option.

I probably could get by with not bothering to update browsers because of other protections that are in place but generally, I think it is best to use the latest version of any browser.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Using old versions of browsers means that you're using a browser where security holes haven't been plugged.
I do not believe this to be true. I have never yet seen a publication from Microsoft which says "Please do not use Internet Explorer v10 any more as it contains serious security holes that we are unable to plug". Not for any version of IE.

Equally there is no additional functionality that Internet Explorer has provided that I need for many many years. I just need the browser to serve webpages.

The exploits of so called "hackers" jump from version to version, either of Internet Explorer or the Windows Operating System itself.

As I said, this whole thing is an obvious and carefully orchestrated protection racket perpetrated by the anti-virus companies and software providers. Very much like BT run protection rackets by allowing tele-sales calls and other nuisance calls bombarding your home until you pay them money to be able to stop them. There will always be a constant flux of viruses and malware because these are needed to support the anti-virus companies. They are in business to take money from you and that business is founded on threat and fear. The threat and fear would not exist if there were no viruses so it is a simple self-funding cycle. The bulk of this business comes from business anti-virus subscriptions and licenses rather than from small fry home users but money is money so they will take it wherever they can.

Things evolve over time. For example, some years ago, Google wasn't the primary internet search engine nor the monster that it is now. Amazon wasn't around, neither was Facebook or Twitter.

So early versions of Internet Explorer had no connections or links to these companies.

Fast forward and we are now at a point in time where Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google, YouTube and many other mainstream sites are effectively now all controlled by the same collective, the global elite, illuminati, call them what you want. Now everything is intertwined. You are tracked and recorded whenever you use these sites. If you use old versions of browsers then you are using software that pre-dates these global connections. Each to their own of course.

Note that Microsoft and these other mega corporations have enough money to employ the very best developers and staff and could, if they so chose, release Windows OS and IE with absolutely NO security holes. But they don't. Like Apple they release products with "built in lifespan" and redundancy so that we are forced to keep buying newer versions. When the sensible and rational refuse to upgrade, they find ways to force those people to cow tow by making sure software providers utilise the latest set of functionality and that websites use it and eventually cease to work altogether for people with old browsers.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 09:38 PM

Thanks for that. I don't use Internet Explorer. Firefox or Cyberfox (64-bit) are used because I think they are better browsers. Both are kept up to date and will continue to be so. IE and Edge update via Windows Update, so these would be the latest versions too. I'd use these if I chose to use Microsoft browsers. No long arguments about your preferences from me.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 09:41 PM

I'm up to date with Firefox 43 however I have found one glitch, it keeps telling me my Flash Player is out of date when it isn't so it doesn't show some images, I then have to resort to using IE
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

03-01-2016, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I'm up to date with Firefox 43 however I have found one glitch, it keeps telling me my Flash Player is out of date when it isn't so it doesn't show some images, I then have to resort to using IE
Might be worth checking with this Adobe page to make sure the latest version of Flash Player is installed:

http://www.adobe.com/uk/software/flash/about/

The version that is installed on your computer in shown in a box on the page and the latest version in a table below. Make sure the figures match.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 10:28 PM

I'd already checked it out before I posted

Edit I re checked it and found it had indeed updated when I must have blinked and missed it, fast as lightening!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

03-01-2016, 10:33 PM

OK, I didn't know. Is there a particular site or page you can give the URL (address) of that doesn't work?
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

03-01-2016, 10:35 PM

not right now, I'll have to wait and see if I get the error message again and take note

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top