Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 07:59 PM

Re: Should I upgrade.

I have Malware, C Clean and Avast, so I don,t think I have much to worry about. I buy on line from Amazon and E bay. And that,s about it . I can check my bank balance but I do not do any transactions via my bank on computer.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Malwarebytes (free) and
CCleaner (free).
Thanks . CC Cleaner Free ? Rather than Free Trial Professional ?
Ought I to install these now ?
Will they not clash with Kaspersky?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 08:13 PM

Eset Security for the past few years. It often 'catches' things. It seems to work very well although it's not very user friendly IMO.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Thanks . CC Cleaner Free ? Rather than Free Trial Professional ?
Ought I to install these now ?
Will they not clash with Kaspersky?
CCleaner (like others) will attempt to persuade you to take a free trial of their paid version, but I never have. I have the free version. The paid versions of both the above include bells and whistles, but I don't need them.

No, they will not clash with any antivirus software as far as I'm aware.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
CCleaner (like others) will attempt to persuade you to take a free trial of their paid version, but I never have. I have the free version. The paid versions of both the above include bells and whistles, but I don't need them.

No, they will not clash with any antivirus software as far as I'm aware.
Thankyou. I don't need bells and whistles either . I've installed both that you recommended now .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Thankyou. I don't need bells and whistles either . I've installed both that you recommended now .
Every so often, they'll ask you if you want to upgrade to the paid version. Just make sure you don't accidentally click the 'free trial', although even then you don't have to pay when your 'free trial' expires!

Also, with the free versions you have to run them every so often. The paid-for versions do that automatically.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 06:19 PM

Free versions being available can depend on a certain number of users paying for the product. Developers to pay, mouths to feed and all that. If I keep any software on the computer for a year, I most often pay for it or donate an amount of money.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 01:43 PM

Users of W7 should note that MS stops supporting "Security Essentials" for W7 on 14th January.

One of the effects of that is that W7 users will no longer get virus definitions.

That means that W7 users will need to keep using their stand alone Antivirus Apps in order to stay safe from new virus attacks.

If you have a copy of W7, on a hard drive, or whatever, it will be worth noting that any re-installing will not have the benefit of security updates which normally float onto your PC when you re-install. The way of getting around this would be to get all the security updates now and save them somewhere for later use.

Just a thought!

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-01-2020, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Users of W7 should note that MS stops supporting "Security Essentials" for W7 on 14th January.

One of the effects of that is that W7 users will no longer get virus definitions.

That means that W7 users will need to keep using their stand alone Antivirus Apps in order to stay safe from new virus attacks.

If you have a copy of W7, on a hard drive, or whatever, it will be worth noting that any re-installing will not have the benefit of security updates which normally float onto your PC when you re-install. The way of getting around this would be to get all the security updates now and save them somewhere for later use.

Just a thought!

Wouldn't it be better to install the security updates now, and then install a third party antivirus software?

Whereas I avoid Windows Updates, I always take advantage of Windows antivirus updates.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 02:24 PM

The company where I used to work still has some old computers in daily use that run on XP and Win7. In fact, the applications they run were never upgraded to later versions of Windows because the companies went bust.

On a personal basis I would very much like to get rid of Win10 and use the best flavour of Ubuntu available but I'm too much of a scaredy cat to make this transition by myself in case I make a major cock up.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top