Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 10:36 AM

Re: What Would Your Poor Old Mother Usually Have Been Doing At This Time Of The Year?

My mum was often ill ...well I realise it was illness now but she didn't really do Christmas....sad really. It's probably why I make sure everyone has a good happy Christmas now.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 02:08 AM

Re: What Would Your Poor Old Mother Usually Have Been Doing At This Time Of The Year?

Never mind Poor Old Mother!

When the children were young I would make Christmas Puddings complete with silver coins previously boiled also Christmas cake in September.
The children helped with the pudding.
On Christmas Eve do all the prep for lunch without any help from husband and stuff a Turkey nearly as big as me, for eight people.
Christmas day up at 6 am to start the cooking
Then later wash up minus a Dishwasher.
Of course the Turkey lasted a week with a new dish made each day'
Up till recently I made eight Christmas puddings annually for the family. Ironically I can't eat them a they disagree with me
It was all very tiring but the pleasure it gave to my family was worth while.

My own mother made very little fuss at Christmas .

Now happily I go to my daughter on Christmas day and get waited on. Lovely!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 02:34 AM

Don't think my mother did that much we always had a capon at Christmas .
We had the tinned ham too !
This thread made me feel quite sad why don't I have any rosy memories of Christmas ?
In fact only have rather sad ones the usual upsets and rows that were part of my childhood just carried on the same.
My mother was -I see it now - a depressed ill and unhappy woman.
Probably why I have an aversion to Christmas and the New Year I will be glad when they are over.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Never mind Poor Old Mother!

When the children were young I would make Christmas Puddings complete with silver coins previously boiled also Christmas cake in September.
The children helped with the pudding.
On Christmas Eve do all the prep for lunch without any help from husband and stuff a Turkey nearly as big as me, for eight people.
Christmas day up at 6 am to start the cooking
Then later wash up minus a Dishwasher.
Of course the Turkey lasted a week with a new dish made each day'
Up till recently I made eight Christmas puddings annually for the family. Ironically I can't eat them a they disagree with me
It was all very tiring but the pleasure it gave to my family was worth while.

My own mother made very little fuss at Christmas .

Now happily I go to my daughter on Christmas day and get waited on. Lovely!

I bet nowadays, she would have popped in here first, and everyone would have had a late dinner.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 09:30 AM

My younger Christmas days don’t leave any really happy memories. I did like the smell of the real Christmas tree we had in those days though. I don’t recall any decorations other than the tree. It was exciting waking up on THE morning and seeing a stocking at the bottom of the bed though...... always an orange in the knotted foot, some crayons and a colouring book and some Empire sweets in some knotted paper. Our present was usually socks or a vest, something that was useful .... very rarely any toys.

So all in all, other than that it was like a normal day for my Mum.
Mimi22
New Member!
United Kingdom
Mimi22 is female 

23-12-2019, 12:53 PM

I remember my mum spending hours in the kitchen, on her own. After lunch she would be washing up , then making sherry trifle for tea.It may have been that we were too selfish to help wash up, but I think she preferred to be on her own for a while, away from the noise and fuss.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 01:52 PM

Ahhhh my lovely mum . 9 mouths to feed . Often a chicken but she would make the meal onto a delicious feast . Always had Christmas pud ( home made ) and custard .

I miss her

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top