Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 01:53 AM

The Queen's Christmas message

I've only just gotten around to watching this as we were too busy to watch it on Christmas day.

Reading between the lines is interesting. What do you make of it :

"As a child, I never imagined that one day a man would walk on the moon. Yet this year we marked the 50th anniversary of the famous Apollo 11 mission.

"As those historic pictures were beamed back to Earth, millions of us sat transfixed to our television screens, as we watched Neil Armstrong taking a small step for man and a giant leap for mankind - and, indeed, for womankind. It's a reminder for us all that giant leaps often start with small steps.

"This year we marked another important anniversary: D-Day. On 6th June 1944, some 156,000 British, Canadian and American forces landed in northern France. It was the largest ever seabourne invasion and was delayed due to bad weather.

"I well remember the look of concern on my father's face. He knew the secret D-Day plans but could of course share that burden with no one. "For the 75th anniversary of that decisive battle, in a true spirit of reconciliation, those who had formally been sworn enemies came together in friendly commemorations either side of the Channel, putting past differences behind them.

"Such reconciliation seldom happens overnight. It takes patience and time to rebuild trust, and progress often comes through small steps.

"Since the end of the Second World War, many charities, groups and organisations have worked to promote peace and unity around the world, bringing together those who have been on opposing sides.

"By being willing to put past differences behind us and move forward together, we honour the freedom and democracy once won for us at so great a cost.

"The challenges many people face today may be different to those once faced by my generation, but I have been struck by how new generations have brought a similar sense of purpose to issues such as protecting our environment and our climate.

"My family and I are also inspired by the men and women of our emergency services and armed forces; and at Christmas we remember all those on duty at home and abroad, who are helping those in need and keeping us and our families safe and secure.

"Two hundred years on from the birth of my great, great grandmother, Queen Victoria, Prince Philip and I have been delighted to welcome our eighth great grandchild into our family.

"Of course, at the heart of the Christmas story lies the birth of a child: a seemingly small and insignificant step overlooked by many in Bethlehem.

"But in time, through his teaching and by his example, Jesus Christ would show the world how small steps taken in faith and in hope can overcome long-held differences and deep-seated divisions to bring harmony and understanding.

"Many of us already try to follow in his footsteps. The path, of course, is not always smooth, and may at times this year have felt quite bumpy, but small steps can make a world of difference.

"As Christmas dawned, church congregations around the world joined in singing It Came Upon The Midnight Clear. Like many timeless carols, it speaks not just of the coming of Jesus Christ into a divided world, many years ago, but also of the relevance, even today, of the angel's message of peace and goodwill.

"It's a timely reminder of what positive things can be achieved when people set aside past differences and come together in the spirit of friendship and reconciliation. And, as we all look forward to the start of a new decade, it's worth remembering that it is often the small steps, not the giant leaps, that bring about the most lasting change.

"And so, I wish you all a very happy Christmas."
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 07:07 AM

Re: The Queen's Christmas message

I think I have watched the Queen's Christmas message since my grandmother got a TV (except 1969 and 1972). I can't say I find them particularly inspiring but I always watch them.

They are broadcast on the ABC immediately after the 7pm evening news which I always watch so it is easy not to miss them, I have no idea if or when the commercial TV stations broadcast them.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 07:22 AM

Heard some of it on the radio - same old, same old, switched it it off.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 07:56 AM

That's how I feel ST - same old same old. I only had it on because my friend insisted on watching it, and sat up straight in her chair to listen!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 08:42 AM

Didnt watch it and wouldn't watch it . First time I've read or heard it and to be honest I cant really understand its meaning. Other than reconciliation.

What do others think it means
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 10:47 AM

I guess the speech means whatever you want it to mean depending on your perspective on issues eg climate change/ leaving the EU/the discontent with politicians/divisions in the royal family.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 11:05 AM

Watched about one minute and turned it off .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 12:43 PM

I wonder what she would have said had she wrote it....
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 01:06 PM

Pretty much the same. She never reveals much of herself by word or action.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 01:40 PM

I think she might have had a better response and a bigger audience, if she had broken down, sobbed uncontrollably and banged her fists on the table. Then called her wayward family, a load of naughty words!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top