Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 05:40 PM

Android Phone Text Messages Have All Disppeared

I've discovered that, on my Motorola G7 Plus running Android 9 (Pie), all text messages except the latest have disappeared …..

A search of the internet has revealed that this not uncommon but I have found no causes or solutions …..

Has anyone encountered this problem and rectified it ….. ?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 06:32 PM

Re: Android Phone Text Messages Have All Disppeared

You need to make sure that phone backup is selected in settings. This will back up your text messages and other data selected by you.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 06:59 PM

Omah, That’s unfortunate. Were they important ones that you need?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You need to make sure that phone backup is selected in settings. This will back up your text messages and other data selected by you.
Google Backup is automatically selected on my phone but I have read that the backup is not an archive but just a copy of recent changes and only one copy is retained - that copy currently contains no text messages.

Apparently, 3rd-party software is available which will attempt to "resurrect" deleted files but I am unsure about their efficiency and safety - and they cost …..
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

01-02-2020, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Omah, That’s unfortunate. Were they important ones that you need?
Not really, but many were records of meetings, appointments, etc., which come in handy sometimes …..
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Google Backup is automatically selected on my phone but I have read that the backup is not an archive but just a copy of recent changes and only one copy is retained - that copy currently contains no text messages.

Apparently, 3rd-party software is available which will attempt to "resurrect" deleted files but I am unsure about their efficiency and safety - and they cost …..
SMS backup is available in the Play Store. I used to use it but Android 9/10 has SMS backup built in so is unnecessary. My phone is Android One based, i.e. pure Android rather than the phone manufacturer's version of Android so may be different on your phone.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

01-02-2020, 09:13 PM

SMS backup is available in the Play Store. I used to use it but Android 9/10 has SMS backup built in so is unnecessary. My phone is Android One based, i.e. pure Android rather than the phone manufacturer's version of Android so may be different on your phone.
Google Backup on Android seems a bit hit-and-miss so I'll look for something more controllable on Play Store ..... Thanks

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

02-02-2020, 10:38 AM

I have installed and tested SMS Backup & Restore:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...SBackupRestore

which gives me control over what, when and where .....

Somewhat coincidentally, Google Backup then decided to work - but it lacks any form of control so I'll be looking elsewhere ....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

02-02-2020, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I have installed and tested SMS Backup & Restore:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...SBackupRestore

which gives me control over what, when and where .....

Somewhat coincidentally, Google Backup then decided to work - but it lacks any form of control so I'll be looking elsewhere ....
I've just bethought meself. Some backups won't work unless you are connected to your Wi-Fi. SMS backup and WhatsApp backup are two cases in point. Perhaps Google backup only started to work when you backed up using SMS backup?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

02-02-2020, 02:28 PM

I've just bethought meself. Some backups won't work unless you are connected to your Wi-Fi. SMS backup and WhatsApp backup are two cases in point. Perhaps Google backup only started to work when you backed up using SMS backup?
WiFi was available and connected at all times ..... but, for the purposes of the SMS test, I switched OFF Google backup then switched it ON again on completion of the SMS backup.

This morning SMS backup came in and completed on schedule. Google backup has not reared its' head yet and updated the file on Google Drive.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top