Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 12:51 PM

Re: Crazy bast**d

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
I know it's off-topic but please, where did the term 'snowflake' come from?
Here you go cuphalffull....

TOP DEFINITION
Snowflake
A term for someone that thinks they are unique and special, but really are not. It gained popularity after the movie "Fight Club" from the quote “You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

Began being used extensively as a putdown for someone, usually on the political left, who is easily offended or felt they needed a "safe space" away from the harsh realities of the world, but now has morphed into a general putdown for anyone that complains about any subject.
Comedians have a hard time performing on college campuses anymore because of all the little snowflakes running around that get offended by just about anything they say.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
I know it's off-topic but please, where did the term 'snowflake' come from?
No snowflakes are alike, they are all unique. People described as snowflakes think they too are unique.

From a recent article:

What does 'snowflake' mean?

Other than frozen rain, a "snowflake" is a term used to describe an overly sensitive person who thinks the world revolves around them.

Snowflakes gasp in horror when they hear an opinion they don't like, and believe they have a right to be protected from anything unpalatable.

Today's generation of sensitive uni students are often labelled snowflakes because they receive "trigger warnings" on books and lectures that might contain upsetting subjects.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
From a recent article:

What does 'snowflake' mean?
Other than frozen rain, a "snowflake" is a term used to describe an overly sensitive person who thinks the world revolves around them.

Snowflakes gasp in horror when they hear an opinion they don't like, and believe they have a right to be protected from anything unpalatable.

Today's generation of sensitive uni students are often labelled snowflakes because they receive "trigger warnings" on books and lectures that might contain upsetting subjects.
Thanks Judd, a better description than mine I think....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 02:51 PM

Let's hope global warming will melt them all.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 03:08 PM

Thank you all but I think it's rather silly and infantile to call someone a snowflake.

However, there are I suppose, worse terms and snowflake seems to be the 'in' word at the moment.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 03:54 PM

So I guess some folks think that they do not have the right to protest unwanted affectionate pets from strangers in a public place. Now that is an interesting concept.

Perhaps, by that logic, it is ok for a man to give a strange woman a pat on the butt as a way of saying thank you for holding the door for you. Personally, I will keep to my policy of keeping my hands off strangers. Perhaps I am just a Neanderthal.....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
So I guess some folks think that they do not have the right to protest unwanted affectionate pets from strangers in a public place. Now that is an interesting concept.

Perhaps, by that logic, it is ok for a man to give a strange woman a pat on the butt as a way of saying thank you for holding the door for you. Personally, I will keep to my policy of keeping my hands off strangers. Perhaps I am just a Neanderthal.....

Oh come on, Savvy, patting someone's butt is not remotely like briefly touching a shoulder!

I would never in a million years take offence with an elderly person who briefly touched my shoulder as they thanked me for something.
You can't compare that gesture to someone grabbing your bum surely??
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Oh come on, Savvy, patting someone's butt is not remotely like briefly touching a shoulder!

I would never in a million years take offence with an elderly person who briefly touched my shoulder as they thanked me for something.
Thank you, Mups. We think alike.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I agree Mups. Having one's bum grabbed is much better.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
I have made it a habit to avoid contact with strangers unless it is to accept an offer of a handshake.

You don't go around patting or otherwise touching strangers, are you nuts? You were asking for trouble. Where I live, you could have been charged with simple assault by intentionally touching him if he had wanted to push the issue. You, not your victim, was in the wrong. You are lucky he didn't give you a knuckle sandwich out of the incident.
Flamin hell ...what a horribly aggressive and violent world you must live in.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top