Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 10:18 PM

Wretched hospital food

I had recently been admitted to a hospital for several days and I must say that, without any doubt, hospital food is terrible. I am convinced that in order to be hired as a cook in a hospital, you must have flunked out of cooking school and or been working as a "cook" in a jail.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not expecting steak and eggs for breakfast or anything fancy, but can they not at least use a little seasoning ? Heck, they don't even use salt in their food.

In exasperation, and half starved, I got myself out of bed and went down to the cafeteria, still wearing a hospital gown. I went thru the line and ordered what looked like it might have some flavor, at least it was hot. When I got to the cashier I was told that I could not eat there because I was a patient. The cashier refused to take my money. So, I took my food and sat down to eat, expecting to be hassled by security. I managed to locate some salt and I quickly wolfed down my food before anyone could take it away from me.

So, what is the deal with the horrible cooks in hospitals ?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 10:26 PM

Re: Wretched hospital food

I'm sorry to hear you've had to be in hospital Bakey, I hope you are ok now? Nothing serious I hope.

Hospital food over here is well known for being a bit yuk, people usually end up taking food for the patient when they go visit.

I've seen patients in jimjams and dressing gowns many times in the hospital café .

Be well xx
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 10:55 PM

Hi Lion Queen,
Yes, I am ok now. They had to put 5 stents in my heart after a mild heart attack.

So, I gather from your post that wretched hospital food is a universal around the world. Makes me wonder if hospital administrators are acquainted with the concept of morale ?
I can't speak for others but I'm reasonably sure that good food is a morale booster.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 11:09 PM

My stint in hospital which lasted for a week recently was F*****g horrible for aweek I lived on shepards pie and roast chicken, I was glad to get home and have some decent food.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 11:21 PM

I guess they have to cater for all sorts of conditions. Some countries don't provide hospital food and you have to rely on friends and relatives to bring you a meal. So perhaps we should count ourselves lucky even if we don't feel that way.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 12:12 AM

Hey Bakerman. I am a stent jockey also. (PLus a pace maker defib implant) Been in hospital quite a few times over the last 2 decades. I have paid into private health insurance all my working life and still do in retirement. So from luck and plenty of years of work, I can afford private hospital. They give you a menu and the food I have to say is pretty good. Although I am never very hungry when I'm in there. Dunno why. I've heard there is no such joy in the public hospital next door. So crap hospital food seems to be a universal thing. But to be fair most dietitians recommend bland food, pretty devoid of spices etc for inpatients that have had any kind of surgical procedure or invasive treatment. I was told ( behind the palm) once by a nurse that it was as much to do with producing as inoffensive stools as possible as to anything else. Maybe she was pulling my leg but it's logical I guess.
bakerman
Mexico

11-02-2020, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Hey Bakerman. I was told ( behind the palm) once by a nurse that it was as much to do with producing as inoffensive stools as possible as to anything else. Maybe she was pulling my leg but it's logical I guess.
That's funny.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 03:08 AM

Hope you are feeling better now Bakerman .
Mr M has three stents and he hated hospital food too.
It was Spain so awful hospital food must be international .
The Spanish brought in stuff to nourish their sick relies .
I think the hospitals don’t want you too comfortable so you will get well and vacate the bed ASAP !
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 04:12 AM

Your lucky to get any. When i was in hospital the food was on the swing over bed table. before I had enough strength to sit up to eat it the cleaner swung it out the way and didn't put it back. Consequently I missed a few meals , worse because I was so weak it took ages to sit up and most times couldn't anyway without help, no hospital staff around to do that simple task. Also all the tubes into me got in the way as well They just stood around the nurses desk most of the time.
Most of the stuff I had was high energy drinks through a straw if i could get to the cup that is

Not saying I was that ill but they warned Sue that i might not pull through. Never ever want to wish that on anyone, Even Ketamine didn.t help with the pain
Went down for a CT scan on a hospital bed, got back to the ward and lunch time was over,so i had nothing

Sue lodged a compaint when she found out.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 08:16 AM

"Did somebody say Just Eat".

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top