Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 06:09 PM

Warfarin - Advice Please.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here had any knowledge about the following just as a matter of interest.

When I first had to start taking blood thinners indefinitely almost six years ago, I had a leaflet which pointed out which foods to eat and which foods to avoid with regard to Vitimin K, in order for my blood count to remain stable at all time, as too much vitimin K is dangerous.

One of my SILs is also on blood thinners but she is allowed to eat anything, even foodstuffs high in Vitimin K, but the one I am on Warfarin), I am not.

I did originally try to get as much information as I could by talking to the INR Nurse and a Doctor at the medical centre, but to be honest, they were unable to help and suggested I see a Dietician. I said great, the Doc said not really, we don't have one in Oswestry, you will have to make an appointment in Shrewsbury or Wrexham Hospital to see one (both 18 miles as the cock crows). So I went online and found a very comprehensive list of every foodstuff that it was safe to eat and those that I should studiously avoid. It gave the daily count of each food that I could eat and of course my favourite vegetables were one of the highest. It did add that I needn't cut them out altogether but for my blood count to remain stable I needed to eat the same amount of the same food with high Vitimin K, every day!! Now, as this included all of the Brassica family, i.e.any type of Cabbage, Sprouts, Lettuce, Parsley, Cucumber, Coleslaw etc, (everything I love) I feel really put out. I don't want a portion of cabbage and then keep on having cabbage every day thereafter to maintain stability with my INR count until my next appointment with the INR Nurse for my blood test..

Is there anyone here on Warfarin? How do you manage with foodstuffs high in Vitimin K? Do you still eat foods that are high and should be avoided as branded dangerous?

I was thinking of asking the Doc if I could change to the blood thinners my SIL is on, but it took such a long time for the Warfarin to reach the INR count of 2.5 which is where they want it to be, with me feeling really ill while trying to reach the same, I really don't feel like going through all that again with a new blood thinner. I really envy her being able to eat anything she fancies though, without having to worry about it.

I'm afraid I just don't eat the above anymore but I really miss them, especially when I cook them for HWMO or make him a salad sandwich. Groan!

Would be very grateful if you could respond on how you deal with foods high in Vitimin K while taking Warfarin. Do you do as advised and ignore those foods or do you take a devil may care attitude and just eat them when you feel like it, even though it could affect your INR count?

Thanks very much in advance.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 06:41 PM

Re: Warfarin - Advice Please.

Hi SG I take an anticoagulant called Apixaban one of the NOACS,( Novel or New Oral Anticoagulants), my brother takes Warfarin.

Unlike my brother, I can eat foods high in vitamin K although as a keen gardener with a magnificent plot my brother doesn't seem to restrict his intake of greens. The only time he had a real problem with his INR was when he had a severe respiratory virus and had to take antibiotics, that seemed mess things up for a few weeks.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 07:08 PM

Thank for your post Meg. Oh lucky you, I know that sounds ridiculous when you are having to take blood thinners, but not to have to worry what you can or cannot eat must be wonderful. Your brother sounds a plucky chap, but if he has his own vegetable garden, he no doubt eats plenty of the vegetables all the time, keeping his count stable.

It doesn't worry me so much during winter months as I can still eat potatoes, carrots, swede, onions, garden peas but the ones I am advised not to eat were my favourite - the Brassica family of vegetable.

Meg, hope you won't mind me asking, Once you started on Apixaban, did it take you long to reach the recommended count, and did it have any adverse effects whilst you were taking it?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Thank for your post Meg. Oh lucky you, I know that sounds ridiculous when you are having to take blood thinners, but not to have to worry what you can or cannot eat must be wonderful. Your brother sounds a plucky chap, but if he has his own vegetable garden, he no doubt eats plenty of the vegetables all the time, keeping his count stable.

It doesn't worry me so much during winter months as I can still eat potatoes, carrots, swede, onions, garden peas but the ones I am advised not to eat were my favourite - the Brassica family of vegetable.

Meg, hope you won't mind me asking, Once you started on Apixaban, did it take you long to reach the recommended count, and did it have any adverse effects whilst you were taking it?
Hi SG there isn't a 'count' Apixaban works slightly differently to Warfarin in how it affects the clotting factor of the blood . It has a very short half life of 12 hours, works very quickly and must be taken regularly without fail.

Originally there wasn't an antidote to NOACS but there is now. The only check is a blood test at 6 months then yearly for kidney and liver function. They are not suitable for people with kidney problems.

My brother is 82 and still working nothing bothers him
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 08:22 PM

After seeing your post Shropshiregirl I checked out the British Heart Foundation website and found information on there which may be of help to you:

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsu...anticoagulants

The BHF also have a Helpline, one of my close relatives found this very helpful when she was having heart problems and needed advice. Not sure if they would be able to help you with dietary matters but maybe worth a call:

Heart Helpline - for medical enquiries: 0300 330 3311
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

I've been on Warfarin for about 10 years.

INR test approx monthly.

Reading around 2.6

Dose 4.0 for 5 days with 4.5 on Weds & Sats.

Recently told to gradually move to taking the tablets in the evening rather than morning.

Never been told to avoid any kind of food - except anything which is obviously a thinner in it's own right.

e.g. Cranberry
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 10:59 PM

I'm am currently awaiting the results of a heart scan which then the cardiologist will decide if he wants me on blood thinners as I have Afib, currently only on betablockers. When my doctor told me I might need blood thinners I told him I didn't want to be on Warfarin as I have heard negative things about it and he assured me he would put me on a different one should I need to go on them.

I'm hoping I don't need to go on them but if it might save my life and he says I should then I will.

I wonder why some people are on different thinners and if it's dangerous to eat Vit K with Warfarin I wonder why they prescribe it.

I'm not really understand too much about blood thinners at the moment as I'm not on them yet so could do to educate myself really.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 12:01 AM

Mr Mags has been prescribed blood thinners for his Atrial Fibrillation, he was prescribed Rivaroxaban after declining the Warfarin.

The only thing he is not allowed to have is Grapefruit ..... he has never liked grapefruit anyway so that is not a hardship for him.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 12:10 AM

I use Clopidogrel. Same use, different drug. Not sure if it has the saem ingredients as Warfarin.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

19-02-2020, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
After seeing your post Shropshiregirl I checked out the British Heart Foundation website and found information on there which may be of help to you:

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsu...anticoagulants

The BHF also have a Helpline, one of my close relatives found this very helpful when she was having heart problems and needed advice. Not sure if they would be able to help you with dietary matters but maybe worth a call:

Heart Helpline - for medical enquiries: 0300 330 3311
Thank you so much Baz, It would be well worth a call just to find out if they could offer any sound advice about daily food counts. Truth be told, I can't be bothered to keep account of the count of every morsal that passes my lips so I just avoid the high in vitamin K altogether, which when I think about it, is rather silly as I should eat greens which I love. (Probably don't bother after a lifetime of counting calories on diets) Had enough of counting points.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top