Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 10:19 AM

Re: Dogs in shops

I hope that someone sets up a petition to allow dogs on leads in shops. It would help revive the high street if people could pop in when on a walk rather than worrying a dog might be stolen and making a (carbon guzzling) separate trip because it's too hot to leave the dog in the car. They have dogs at pets at home and I've never seen one relieve themselves in the shop any more than they would relieve themselves in their own home or other buildings.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
That is a very understandable exception, Mups, and what a nasty silly woman you encountered!

I go to the Malton Food Festival most years - and have to say I am appalled at the way people bring their dogs along.

1) The dogs smell all the delicious food samples cooking and - naturally - become excited. The owners tug their leads, even smack them with the end of lead, and shout at them.

2) The Festival is popular and always crowded - the poor dogs are kicked and stepped on, run into by 'pull along' trolleys or bashed on the head with shopping bags.

3) Not all dogs like meeting other dogs - especially under stressful circumstances.

Much the same happens in our local market in town. It cannot possibly be an enjoyable experience for the dogs - can it?
Some owners don't think twice about taking their dogs into inhospitable terrain. I wouldn't willingly go into a crowd with a dog or even take him on public transport because of the risk of injury. Yet I've seen others with a dog on a crowded train. The worst example was a man touring the walls of Dubrovnik old town in 36 degree heat and direct sun. The poor animal was really suffering. I couldn't believe he could be so selfish.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 10:27 AM

I don't take Chloe in any shops , I don't take her into town at all after a number of people had their dogs stolen from cars .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Which shops do you take your dog into?
None. Unless it is a guide dog they are not allowed in any area where food is "handled" that includes drink.

Generally speaking people here don't take their dogs into shops or shopping malls and they are only allowed on public transport in a box, cage or suitable basket (again unless they are guide dogs).

Dogs are not allowed in National parks (we have enough feral animals)

All dogs, apart from police and corrective service dogs and genuine assistance dogs, are banned from:

• within 10 metres of a children's play area
  • within 10 metres of food preparation or consumption areas, except cafes or restaurants whose owners permit dogs (not restricted dogs or declared dangerous dogs) in their outdoor dining areas
  • recreation areas where dogs are prohibited
  • public bathing areas where dogs are prohibited
  • school grounds
  • child care centres
  • shopping centres where dogs are prohibited
  • wildlife protection areas.

Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 02:44 PM

Even well behaved dogs can get into trouble in public spaces. When your small dog is mauled by someone else's Pit Bull, you will only have yourself to blame.

Not only that, but some people are very afraid of dogs. As a dog lover, I find that irrational, but I don't want to intimidate people with my dog. My dog doesn't need to be there to help me pick out a new pair of socks.

Besides that, my Stella is quite happy to be at home, sleeping on the bed beside my computer or hunting in the woods outside my window. Even though she is quite sociable, she finds crowds of people stressful. It is better for her and everyone else if she stays home.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 02:59 PM

Mine goes to the barber with me. Well, used to. Now the barber comes to us. She is the grand daughter of the lady who has the Bedlington that we walk.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 03:15 PM

Back in London I would go into the newsagent with her in my arms and they were ok about it, but other than that if out with sis one of us would stay outside with her. I have asked in some shops, like post offices, but they refused.

And the launderette I use has a sign up saying no dogs, but it took several months of me going there, and taking Holly, before I noticed it! I think the assistant was too polite to say something to me. I did apologise and haven't taken her since.

It is nice to be able to walk around Pets at Home freely. Wonder if my local Currys would let her in?

My old home town had a directory of all the shops and restaurants in the borough that allowed dogs. It was extremely useful. I might have to ask my now local area if such a list exists.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Back in London I would go into the newsagent with her in my arms and they were ok about it, but other than that if out with sis one of us would stay outside with her. I have asked in some shops, like post offices, but they refused.

And the launderette I use has a sign up saying no dogs, but it took several months of me going there, and taking Holly, before I noticed it! I think the assistant was too polite to say something to me. I did apologise and haven't taken her since.

It is nice to be able to walk around Pets at Home freely. Wonder if my local Currys would let her in?

My old home town had a directory of all the shops and restaurants in the borough that allowed dogs. It was extremely useful. I might have to ask my now local area if such a list exists.
At 40kg there is no way I'd be carrying in my arms........
There was a dog friendly pub near us and close to my dear wife's osteopath. We went there for lunch a number of times.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

15-02-2020, 04:43 PM

If guide dogs are allowed in a supermarket then i don't see why regular dogs can't go in. When you go to the med pets are allowed to sit with people who are dining outside same with pubs here inside and outside. I don't see the hygiene issue.

Some people are phobic with dogs but then some are phobic with humans.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 07:26 PM

As others have said, we would never leave him on his own outside a shop and would never leave him in the car either but due to the increase in dog thefts from houses, we don't like leaving him at home either. So it's a quick shop (very quick because I hate shopping anyway).

There are a lot of dog friendly pubs in the area and increasingly, dog friendly cafes/restaurants. the Donkey sanctuary is a good example.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top