Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 05:11 PM

Re: China and HS2

Originally Posted by JBR ->
True.
We would benefit from as many trade agreements as possible now that we are leaving the Empire.
The more agreements we can obtain, the better. Apart from anything else, we have the advantage of them competing with each other for our attention!
Needless to say, I see no advantage in wasting our time hoping for anything from the EU.
Out of the frying pan and into the fire JBR!
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 06:38 PM

Wonder what the Chinese for, that service has been cancelled, or I'm sorry but from Monday we're making you redundant.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 06:53 PM

I can see the possible advantages.

I'm sure we are all aware of how our own construction companies, road repair organisations and the like tend to move at a snail's pace. I wouldn't like to say whether that is due to slow workers, a poor supply chain or inefficient bureaucracy, but the evidence of their lack of speed is everywhere to be seen, especially when there are miles of cones on our roads accompanied by no apparent workings or plant for months at a time.

I compare this to what I saw in Saudi Arabia. Gangs of Korean men could build a flyover in no time at all, certainly a lot quicker than ever happens in this country.

I don't know whether other workers and companies, Chinese or Korean, would charge more than our own. I suspect that, as well as completing work much more quickly, it would turn out to be cheaper as well.

Quite apart from all this HS2 nonsense which, of course, most people would never use, our money would be better spent upgrading and improving our existing lines, especially in the North which, needless to say, has suffered under-investment compared to Londonistan for many, many years.

Of all the reasons you have given for the reasons we cannot compete with the Chinese when it comes to cost and time taken to build it I think 'inefficient bureaucracy' comes top of the list.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Of all the reasons you have given for the reasons we cannot compete with the Chinese when it comes to cost and time taken to build it I think 'inefficient bureaucracy' comes top of the list.
That doesn't surprise me.

Whereas we used to be world leaders in engineering and inventiveness, we now seem to top the world when it comes to regulations and red tape. The country thrives on it.

When I see roads lined with miles of unattended cones, it always crosses my mind that someone, somewhere, has still not completed the necessary paperwork to enable them to be collected!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 08:06 PM

That doesn't surprise me.

Whereas we used to be world leaders in engineering and inventiveness, we now seem to top the world when it comes to regulations and red tape. The country thrives on it.

When I see roads lined with miles of unattended cones, it always crosses my mind that someone, somewhere, has still not completed the necessary paperwork to enable them to be collected!
We are still world leaders in engineering and inventiveness but engineers and innovators do not have respect and an environment to thrive. This is the problem. In Europe and other parts of the world engineers are revered and respected. Here it's just a job. Innovators are deemed crackpots. This is a cultural problem here. The talent and ambition is here. How can it be resolved?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 10:22 PM

One day we will wait for a fast Train, then two will come at once.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
One day we will wait for a fast Train, then two will come at once.
At 14 trains per hr, that should be easy Spitty?
Donkeyman!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 10:57 PM

For some folks, 4 minutes can seem an eternity.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 07:05 PM

Doesn't surprise me that the "Effin Elsies" are pushing all of these planning and construction offers just as our dealings in trade agreements start to take off.

Surely, We should be making use of our own workers.

Note:-

"Effin Else?" is what they say when you pick up your meal order!

Now, they're expanding this to include all construction roles!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 10:51 PM

Are there any estimates available for what the price of a return
day ticket between Birmigham and London on HS2 is likely to be?
I n view of the expanded final cost of this project surel there is
bound to be an effect on what the cost to passengers will be?
Allready rail travel cannot compete with air fares by a factor of
almost one on cost alone, and on time it is a no contest?
If there is no info available, when will it be published?
Donkeyman!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top