Join for free
Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 08:42 AM

Re: Smoking free county

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
A "Slow Death Wish" but, that is Their choice.
"Some choice"
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
"Some choice"

It could be argued that that say 40 years ago, when most of our parents "Smoked", there was only one Old Folks Home per square mile of urban sprawl, now there is Ten.

folks have never been able to have it all ways.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 09:14 AM

My parents didn’t smoke.
They didn’t go into old folks homes either .

There are more old folk nowadays -presumably living longer because less people are inhaling or exhaling noxious fumes from cancer sticks
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 09:58 AM

I am a passionate anti smoker but an outright ban is wrong, if people want to smoke in their own homes as long as it doesn't affect other people then let them.

The 10% of smokers here seem to congregate in doorways polluting the entrances to shops etc, makes me so cross.

When Mr Glanny was undergoing treatment and we were making daily visits to the local cancer hospital there were patients standing around outside the hospital in their jammies and hooked up to drips smoking away, despite no smoking signs on the walls around the entrance. The foyer of the hospital stank of smoke and there were even fag butts on the floor of the revolving doors...
I can understand how these people were desperate for a fag and already stressed at being in hospital and perhaps being terminally ill and therefore a fag or 2 is not going to make any difference. But they shouldn't be allowed to affect other people especially those with cancer!
I think all the hospitals here did away with the smokers' room/shelter in the hospital grounds and I think that was a mistake.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:00 AM

That would be great....I was waiting in a bus shelter,the other day....where a guy lit up a cigarette,...I'm not joking,I felt suffocated,rather than say anything,I stepped outside of the shelter......

There are still those who light up in their own private spaces....I would never enter someone's house, who smoked....filthy disgusting habit.......they must have a block...to continue to smoke.....after all the warnings, either that or a death wish.
I post this as an ex-smoker, the worst kind of person to be against smoking. However, isn't it up to those who choose to smoke and perhaps risk harming or killing themselves? Smoking has been banned from almost everywhere that is enclosed, where there are other people but if out in the open air we all have the choice to walk further away to avoid the smoke.

A am also tee-total and almost always have been since I started riding motorcycles in my teens (too easy to fall off or have an accident). Again though, those that drink alcohol are free to do so, they probably realise the danger to health involved in doing that but that is their free choice to make.

Whatever next is go receive the call to ban it?
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:05 AM

How I used to hate the days when you had been out anywhere, be it cinema, restaurant or pub and you came home and your hair and clothes were absolutely stinking of smoke amd the bedroom next day also stank of it
A few times I was the designated driver on a night out with friends and was drinking fizzy water all night and I still had a hangover the next day, from all the smoke! (Haha! I typoed that as dizzy water )

Also, on the dance floor at discos and getting burnt on the arm by gyrating smokers!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
if that county can ban tobacco smoking within the county, based upon the higher health costs, then they can also add an extra tax to any and all foods/sugary drinks etc because being overweight is a prime cause of major health issues.
If they can do one, then they can do the other.
Err - we do have a sugar tax on soft drinks and some food products already.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:19 AM

That would be great....I was waiting in a bus shelter,the other day....where a guy lit up a cigarette,...I'm not joking,I felt suffocated,rather than say anything,I stepped outside of the shelter......

There are still those who light up in their own private spaces....I would never enter someone's house,who smoked....filthy disgusting habit.......they must have a block...to continue to smoke.....after all the warnings,either that or a death wish.
Life can be such a bitch sometimes.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I post this as an ex-smoker, the worst kind of person to be against smoking. However, isn't it up to those who choose to smoke and perhaps risk harming or killing themselves? Smoking has been banned from almost everywhere that is enclosed, where there are other people but if out in the open air we all have the choice to walk further away to avoid the smoke.

A am also tee-total and almost always have been since I started riding motorcycles in my teens (too easy to fall off or have an accident). Again though, those that drink alcohol are free to do so, they probably realise the danger to health involved in doing that but that is their free choice to make.

Whatever next is go receive the call to ban it?
Bang on Baz....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
As usual I can't read the article. So does it say smoking is banned everywhere - including one's private home?..Like not just in public?..If so I agree it won't work; not without a huge shitefight leastways. I'm a non smoker and I choose to ban smoking in my house. But there's a mini pergola with table and chairs up the back that people can go if they're desperate. I've even supplied ashtrays.
Then you are a nice person.
Although I am a smoker, I don't smoke in my house, I have a sun lounge for that or a front porch if I happen to be at the front of the house, for whatever reason, usually waiting for a lift that is late. (My Daughter}

Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top