Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 08:59 AM

Optimal health & fitness?

Strange as it may seem the sport that I've been involved in for a LONG time (running) is a sport I have to avoid now! Eh? Why? I hear you ask. It drives me to drink. Once I have built up a thirst thoughts of visiting the offy or local invades my mind and I tend to act upon them too. Anyhoo - what then can I do to achieve Optimal health & fitness?

First thing is grub. Don't think this is a hard one to crack. Seems plain to me that eating unadulterated, natural stuff is the way to go. You know how it goes: lean whatever and fruits etc - sorted.

Exercise?

Dunno about this one so much so I'm scouring the internet looking for answers. Belting a punch bag is useful in more ways than one and cycling is considered of benefit, so along with some press-ups and the like maybe I might easily achieve my health goals.

Who eats what and does what then to achieve ... wait forrit ... optimal health & fitness?

On a side note I ate something last night but I can't remember what it was .
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 09:03 AM

Re: Optimal health & fitness?

Lol,You'll never lose the weight or get as fit as You wish if You keep boozing..not only does it increase fat,but all Your good intentions go right out of the window once You've had a few...give it up for a few weeks and You'll soon see the difference :~)
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 09:24 AM

Swimming is supposed to be good, my neighbour swims daily early morning and seems fairly fit for his age. The runners all seem to have knee problems so aren't as fit as they could be. Where I work they have a cycling club and the older members seem fitter than the younger ones mainly because they all gave up smoking and drinking.
We also have a climber here, he is supremely fit I guess he has to be to climb shear faces like he does, think he does gym training too so he is fit enough for the climbs, he is 80 in July and still free climbs every weekend !
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Swimming is supposed to be good, my neighbour swims daily early morning and seems fairly fit for his age. The runners all seem to have knee problems so aren't as fit as they could be. Where I work they have a cycling club and the older members seem fitter than the younger ones mainly because they all gave up smoking and drinking.
We also have a climber here, he is supremely fit I guess he has to be to climb shear faces like he does, think he does gym training too so he is fit enough for the climbs, he is 80 in July and still free climbs every weekend !
Interesting that you find that with runners too.
A former work colleague was a runner, discus thrower and had to give up the running a while ago because of his knee problems. He had a couple of operations and now has no cartilage left in one knee !!! sounds appalling.
He can still coach and maintains a lively interest in sport.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 09:41 AM

Does 'head swimming' count? Cos if it does my head must be pretty fit - or getting there.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 09:47 AM

I've felt sluggish since I've given up swimming. Exercise definitely helps you feel better physically and mentally.

The booze can pile weight on, no matter how little you eat. I've wined and dined a bit too much of late.

Getting back to the swimming daily from Monday.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 09:50 AM

Another vote for swimming but not for myself, I have enough to do with dog walking three times a day and gardening.

My neighbour is 67 and retired at 65 and since retiring took up
Pilates and swimming. She is now super fit with the body of a teenager
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Myra ->

The booze can pile weight on, no matter how little you eat. I've wined and dined a bit too much of late.
A friend of mine recently had a knee op and had been unable to get out for 5 or 6 weeks. During that time, he's been on antibiotics which made him feel queasy. That put him off eating and drinking alcohol was out anyway.

He's lost a stone and a half and looks great
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

14-05-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
A friend of mine recently had a knee op and had been unable to get out for 5 or 6 weeks. During that time, he's been on antibiotics which made him feel queasy. That put him off eating and drining alcohol was out anyway.

He's lost a stone and a half and looks great
What are you trying to say in a roundabout way (sounds like a song title )? I should catch something or hurt myself to lose weight?
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

14-05-2015, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
What are you trying to say in a roundabout way (sounds like a song title )? I should catch something or hurt myself to lose weight?
Grrrrr .... you dummy ... you've already hurt yourself

Gotta bad knee isn't it ?

PLUS "a bad ed" now lol

(please excuse speech marks. This keyboard has a problem and can not do quotation marks)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top