Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 04:42 PM

Re: Mother-in-Law

Yes a common problem in later years and one of the most common infections, pneumonia was also something I though I'd mention as my Father had it in the weeks leading to his death but there were no signs other than he was behaving like someone who had Alzheimers in that he didn't recognise things or places and thought people who had died were still alive and that people who had passed away had visited him.
Pneumonia was the cause and a urine infection can have similar effects on the elderly.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Spot on Rachel. I was just going to say the same.

Steve, tell the BIL to get a urine sample to the GP a.s.a.p. or if he can't, ask the district nurse to come and take it asap.
This happened to my Mum several times, and I also saw it loads of times in old folks home I worked in.
From what BIL says today, she is attention-seeking 'cos we've seen all this before!

He hasn't and he is a bit naive with MIL - she winds him up all the time because she can.

She tries it with my wife but she knows she won't get away with it for long.

My MIL has brought most of her current problems on herself because she has sat back expecting everyone else - BIL in particular - to run around after her when she could have done some things quite easily herself, despite her age.

She had access to a bus service from her own front door, 5 days a week to local shops, including supermarkets but no, she said she couldn't manage it and got BIL and SIL to do it so that started doing it all online with Sainsburys and she got lots of wrong items because they are too dim to realise that all she needs is what she bloody-well asks for, not the fancy stuff that she doesn't understand!

When my wife and I go to see her we TAKE her to supermarkets etcetera where she can choose what she wants and she loves it!

Pander to whims and you pay the price. stevmk2
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 08:32 PM

I agree with the posts regarding a urine infection, it would be wise to have her tested.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 12:19 AM

I think it's important Gabi. Better safe than sorry.
If it's not that, at least Steve can rule that out.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
I agree with the posts regarding a urine infection, it would be wise to have her tested.
My wife tells me this was tested in the Hospital.

She had antibiotics for a chest infection as she does have emphysema but they tested her for all sorts in that Hospital which was why she was moved around three times.

Surely that could have been done more sensitively?!

BIL reports that she seems better now. stevmk2
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2015, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->

BIL reports that she seems better now. stevmk2

Good to hear that that she's improving
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2015, 01:04 PM

Good news she's feeling better, if they've tested her urine she will have the right antibiotics.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

08-06-2015, 02:28 PM

More News: -

SIL has been telephoning and hassling all sorts and - finally - she's got Social Services to admit that Mum should NOT have been released by the Hospital until they were brought in as she has to have a Care Plan in place now.

She is with BIL / SIL at the moment but Social Services say that the Hospital never contacted them, despite someone saying the opposite to BIL on the 'phone before they picked her up.

They have apologised and are now gearing-up to get the Hospital suitably chastised and things in place so she can go to her own home again.

She will need someone in three times a day they say and will be assessed for her "contribution" towards the costs.

Considering she's virtually on the Poverty Line that'll be interesting so could that be a worry for the family - do they go after family in these cases? stevmk2
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2015, 02:58 PM

the first thing is,is your MIL getting care allowance if she is it will be taken out of that.,that's what they did with my MIL but if she is on the breadline as you say she may not have to pay anything or at least a small contribution based on her pension.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top