Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 11:22 PM

Re: Tablet from Aldi

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You're not paranoid to be worried about these things. There are specific reasons why this stuff fails.

One reason is that some years ago the laws were changed concerning the make-up of solder that was used to fix all the electrical components on circuit boards. The laws meant they couldn't use lead any more. Lead solder had been reliably used for years and years. Now you can't use it. As a result, EVERY electrical item is now prone to suffering "dry joints" i.e. bits of solder that crack and thus lose the electrical signal.
Repairing domestic electronics hasn't been my job for many years but dry joints were a big problem long before the make-up of solder was changed. Many faults occurred because of them.

Perhaps those who are in that line still have to deal with dry joints a fair bit but I can't think it would be more of a problem than it was in my day. Probably true to say that where it does happen, it might be almost impossible to remedy due to the miniaturisation of electronic equipment.

Printed circuit boards can have multi-layered tracks and I think that, where a poor connection does seem to be the problem, it could be where the tracks join through the printed circuit board layers rather than it being the solder.

Personally though, I haven't had any modern equipment go faulty due to dry joints or bad connections. In fact, it seems to me that electronic items are generally a lot more reliable than they used to be.
Ian Haines
Merseyside, UK
Ian Haines is male  Ian Haines has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 09:50 AM

I apologise for steering the thread off topic. Sometimes, I just go a' wandering. Oops!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ian Haines ->
I apologise for steering the thread off topic. Sometimes, I just go a' wandering. Oops!
No need to apologise Ian, your opinions are as valid as anyone else's and it's a pleasure to read intelligent, well constructed English.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 11:21 AM

With the replies that we have had about Aldi's tablet, if I was in the market for one, I would go for it.
I am on my 2nd iPad. I gave my first one to my son.
There are things that you cannot do with an iPad, but can on other tablets.
Just looking at the Aldi's tablet and the adapters that you can connect to it is better that what you can do with the iPad.
To do these things you have to buy other adapters to get it to work.
Well I am sure those that have iPads know what I mean.
As for watching some videos. Yea right.
Ian Haines
Merseyside, UK
Ian Haines is male  Ian Haines has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 05:07 PM

Thank you for that, Malcolm!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Haines ->
Thank you for that, Malcolm!
You are very welcome Ian, I hope you didn't find it too patronising .. It certainly was not meant that way.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by kittylion ->
I bought an Aldi tablet in August 2014. Last month it stopped charging up, so I took it back to Aldi and they refunded my money onto my card without even looking at the tablet.
Originally Posted by kittylion ->
I suppose the point I am trying to make is that Aldi customer service is good, so I think it's worth buying the tablet if you fancy it.
Why would you recommend a tablet that you've owned yourself and seen fail? Especially when it has failed in the same way as numerous other people have experienced Inability to charge the device is a complaint reported by quite a few in the various reviews together with "Laggyness" and screen delays.

Yes, great that Aldi gave you your money back, but wouldn't it just be better to buy a reliable tablet from the get go?
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 06:17 PM

So what is a reliable tablet? They all have their pros and cons.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

14-12-2015, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
So what is a reliable tablet? They all have their pros and cons.
There is no such thing, one man's meat is another man's poison.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

14-12-2015, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
There is no such thing, one man's meat is another man's poison.
What has someone's dinner to do with tablets? Unless of course it's the medication one has to take with or after meals.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top