Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 08:22 AM

White Paint

Can anyone recommend a semi gloss white paint that doesn't turn yellow?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 09:21 AM

Re: White Paint

Hello Carole I have had such a problem with white solvent based paint .
I expect you know some years ago they altered the content because of an EU ruling to remove compounds considered harmful to the environment and the 'new' paint yellows particularly in areas where there is little sunlight.

Two years ago I painted my bedroom with a water based paint , that stayed white but the paint seemed harder to use and I understood the problem with solvent based paint had been sorted so I reverted to Dulux Brilliant white undercoat and gloss last summer when painting the kitchen and bathroom and it has already turned yellow .

I have just decorated two bedrooms and the hall and stairs using a water based paint and it really is brilliant white.
(I repainted my bedroom because I was having a new carpet).

I used Dulux Quick Dry Trade Satinwood top and undercoat water based paint (they do a gloss too but I like satinwood) . I had a decorator to do the 8 doors in the hall and this is what he uses too.

I think this paint is slightly more expensive than solvent based paints but you don't need anything like white spirit to clean the brushes just water.
I have just started to use a roller on doors and the results are good. I also found the Trade paint easy to apply.
You need to use a good quality brush with man made not pure bristles which you dampened with a little water before use.
Many DIY places do not stock this paint, it can be bought from a trade center.

http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.u...1FKR6qcTJ3vO36
http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.u...dhxhs44OHwBZc0

This is the gloss..

http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.u...lYNPR9GSKXtO1R
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Some great tips there Meg. I'll try them out myself.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 09:54 AM

We use the same Meg - I can't take the smell of gloss at all .......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
We use the same Meg - I can't take the smell of gloss at all .......
...do you find it wears well Patsy I have only been using it for two years.
It is lovely not having the smell of paint around and it does dry remarkably quickly doesn't it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

12-04-2015, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
Some great tips there Meg. I'll try them out myself.
Myra I was very sceptical about using a water based paint but I am converted ..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
...do you find it wears well Patsy I have only been using it for two years.
It is lovely not having the smell of paint around and it does dry remarkably quickly doesn't it.
We do find it very good and although it does dry quickly, it won't be 'fully' hardened until 24 hours, so be careful up to then
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

12-04-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
We do find it very good and although it does dry quickly, it won't be 'fully' hardened until 24 hours, so be careful up to then
I gave it a week before I had the carpet fitted to give it time to 'go off' properly
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

12-04-2015, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I gave it a week before I had the carpet fitted to give it time to 'go off' properly
You're a smart cookie Meg
I would have done the same, carpet fitting can be hazardous to your newly painted items ........
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 10:30 AM

We also use Dulux 'Trade' white. Tried using 'Crown' paint once, but it turned yellowish within a year.
For coloured emulsions & varnishes, I've become a fan of Valspar paints from B&Q.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top