Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Sableline
Durham,uk
Sableline is male  Sableline has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 02:15 PM

Re: Bathroom tiles

Tiles like wall paper is personal taste. I would visit a tile shop and try various coloured tiles next to each other and come up with a pattern and colour that you like.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 03:55 PM

I like white but thought it might look a bit too clinical so I went for a very pale beigey/buff colour floor to ceiling on the bath and shower area, the rest is plastered and painted the same colour. They're a matt tile, I don't do glossy/shiny stuff at all.
I'm in the minority here
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 05:28 PM

Don't forget that you will need to 'tank' the wall before tiling a shower area.
Even 'waterproof' grout is slightly porous so you have to waterproof the wall first.
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 08:16 PM

Light coloured ones for the shower area Lindyloo, dark ones show the soap scum. Is the room large, small, what's the natural lighting like, are you having spot lights fitted (recommended)?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 09:45 PM

Thanks for all those suggestions. I'm also inclined towards white as I don't think you can ever have enough light. The natural light isn't very good at all, which adds support to white. I have an idea for the ceiling - at the moment it's wooden tongue and groove with downlights, but the adjoining wall is a separate loo and the wall will be demolished, so the ceiling needs work. I've found this on the internet and got a really good quote:
http://www.ipsluk.co.uk/designer_pan...silver-26m.htm
..........which is gloss white and silver. If I have white tiles - I can have decorative strips of matt or gloss silver......which carries the colour scheme through.........or do you think that's a bit white and silver overload?

Are the white bumpy tiles worth having? I wasn't sure if that message meant that the bumpy tiles reflected the light, or just the plain white gloss did that???

Thanks again
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 11:10 PM

I dont think the Bumpy tiles were worth having ,because the dimple effect is hardly noticable ..

I like the ceiling choice,I dont think it would be over load ..

Remember Tiles come in differant sizes,, try and think what it would look like in the sizes ..

Dont go to small , but the slab size would probably be to big in a small room

Look on Google images , you will get a good idea on there ..
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Don't forget that you will need to 'tank' the wall before tiling a shower area.
Even 'waterproof' grout is slightly porous so you have to waterproof the wall first.
Good advice. My son is a wall and floor tiler and from what he says after doing jobs if your walls are uneven then don't go for too large a tile as it means a lot more grout to even the walls out to keep the tiles flat, so bear that in mind.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 03:28 PM

Hi Lindyloo
I have white tiles with a 2 tile border of about an inch wide about a foot down from the top (ceiling) and then another border about dado height double the width of the top border . The border tiles are small irridescent mosaic tiles of aqua/mauve/green irridescent colour and are really gorgeous against the expanse of white,they just liven it up with just the right amount of colour.
Very easy to keep clean too.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2015, 07:54 AM

Thanks very much - some very impressive advice and ideas there. On the subject of waterproofing, I'm planning on having an area of 300mm x 800mm made into a shelf but strong enough to sit on! It will built to be strong enough, but as it will be within the shower area it will need a good waterproof backing - tiles may not be sufficient. Any ideas?
Lindyloo
isle of wight

07-08-2015, 01:32 PM

White tiles now chosen in a mixture of gloss, matt and textured. Rather than have these in rows around the room, I'm wondering if the shower should have whichever tile will show the least water marks? Can anyone advise on that?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top