Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2011, 10:39 PM

Re: What is his Christian Name?

Hello Losos and Mrmojorisin,

Thanks for your supportive comments.

Also I would not have had the slightest idea of Endeavor - how unusual is that? Does anyone actually have that name????

(Clever daughter-in-law - but I don't think Cassie will want to share her lovely Orange plastic bag)!!!

Rainbow x
mrmojorisin
Tangy Town, UK
mrmojorisin is male  mrmojorisin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2011, 09:12 AM

I've been thinking about the comments on "Christian name". Now I personally am not a Christian. In fact I don't subscribe to any religion at all. What many people find very strange though is that religion is hugely interesting to me and I study it avidly. In fact it's my experience that I know more about Christianity than most folk I speak to who claim to be Christians.

According to the 2001 census almost 25 million people in the UK explicitly state that they are not Christians, that's 40% of the population. I don't know any statistics but in my experience most folk who tick the box as Christians only attend Church for births , weddings and funerals, and a good proportion of them just for their own immediate family, so there claim to being a practising Christian is very tenuous.

I contend therefore that the UK is no longer a Christian country and we should think carefully about possibly offending a huge number of the good and honest citizens of our country by not asking for their Christian name.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

13-02-2011, 02:22 PM

Yes , increasingly fewer and fewer people are being Christened and even less attending Church , ergo the term " Christan name " is outmoded , outdated and potentially offensive .

The generic term " First Name " is far more suitable and applicable .

For example what if a child is Christened and brought up as a Christian by Christain Parents but as an adult chooses to change their name for whatever reason , what answer would you expect them to give you if you asked for their " Christian Name ? "

The one they were given as a child when Christened , or , their now Legal one which is different ?

Another example could be the same scenario but the person changed their name when becoming Muslim , again what answer would you expect them to give you when you are asking for a specific ?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2011, 07:04 PM

I agree with Topaz - these days the gneric "first" name is neutral and unoffensive wherever you are.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2011, 08:22 PM

Hello mrmojorisin and Topaz, With regard to your comments, may I add that HM Queen Elizabeth II, is Head of State and also Head of the Church of England. Therefore with respect, whether agreeable or not, Christianity is still the official religion of this Country. (Without it we sadly also lose part of the identity, values and unity of our institutions, history and culture).

There may well come a time, when our Country will be stripped of not only her Monarchy but the recognition of being of Christian foundation. However, whether this eventually should happen, it would make absolutely no difference to my own faith in God.

With regard to if one should legally change their name after being baptised. The name is not what makes you a Christian, but your own heart and mind, (God already knows who you are, a change of name or address are not necessary).
Therefore, it would make no difference what name you called yourself, but how you felt and what you believed.

For instance, I was baptised as a baby, (an introduction to the House of God), but was not brought up in any religious manner. It was later (much later) that I personally became a Christian.

Where I have gradually seen the word ‘Christian Name’ being omitted from official forms, (like so many things that we alter and erode in order to be politically correct) - it has been my choice to convey that my name which is part of me, is my Christian Name.

Equally, if someone were to become a Muslim, and be asked their Christian Name, they would be able to convey that they are not Christian, and their Muslim name is ……..

Simillarly, if someone were to ask me about “my Partner”? Because I am happy and proud to be married, I add that actually this is my; “Husband”. Obviously this can work in reverse too, if enquired about their husband or wife, the person may amend by saying he/she is their Partner.

What is important, special and precious will be upheld by me, no stepping aside or over.

Rainbow x
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

13-02-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rainbow ->
Hello mrmojorisin and Topaz, With regard to your comments, may I add that HM Queen Elizabeth II, is Head of State and also Head of the Church of England. Therefore with respect, whether agreeable or not, Christianity is still the official religion of this Country. (Without it we sadly also lose part of the identity, values and unity of our institutions, history and culture).

LOL

Are you saying the Unity of our institutions rests upon being Christian ?

LOLOLOLOL

There may well come a time, when our Country will be stripped of not only her Monarchy but the recognition of being of Christian foundation. However, whether this eventually should happen, it would make absolutely no difference to my own faith in God.

Great stuff .....

With regard to if one should legally change their name after being baptised. The name is not what makes you a Christian, but your own heart and mind, (God already knows who you are, a change of name or address are not necessary).
Therefore, it would make no difference what name you called yourself, but how you felt and what you believed.

Shot yourself in the foot there , no ?

Why insist on calling it a Christain Name then ?

For instance, I was baptised as a baby, (an introduction to the House of God), but was not brought up in any religious manner. It was later (much later) that I personally became a Christian.

Where I have gradually seen the word ‘Christian Name’ being omitted from official forms, (like so many things that we alter and erode in order to be politically correct) - it has been my choice to convey that my name which is part of me, is my Christian Name.

Exactly ! .......... It is your choice , but it`s not everybodies

Equally, if someone were to become a Muslim, and be asked their Christian Name, they would be able to convey that they are not Christian, and their Muslim name is ……..

Just as you could have easily conveyed your First name to the person on the phone who asked it of you . no ?

Simillarly, if someone were to ask me about “my Partner”? Because I am happy and proud to be married, I add that actually this is my; “Husband”. Obviously this can work in reverse too, if enquired about their husband or wife, the person may amend by saying he/she is their Partner.

What is important, special and precious will be upheld by me, no stepping aside or over.

" If you dont progress , you regress . "

Rainbow x

Just for the record you are in a very small minority and progress will be made regardless .
Rainbow
Surrey UK

14-02-2011, 12:05 AM

For ease of reading, I will highlight in bold what I have previously written, plus my response to the remarks and comments left by Topaz will be in bold and Italic along with my identification.
I will add your name Topaz by the side of your comments too.

(Topaz) LOL

(Topaz) Are you saying the Unity of our institutions rests upon being Christian ?

(Topaz) LOLOLOLOL

(Me) You may well mock, but we do have Christian foundations.

(Topaz) Great stuff .....

(Me) Again, do you mock, or do you appreciate that my loyalty to faith in God is irrespective of what anyone may wish to decry or abolish?

(Topaz) Shot yourself in the foot there , no ?

(Topaz) Why insist on calling it a Christain Name then ?

(Me) “Shot myself in the foot”? Is this some kind of test of ability???

(Me) A personal name formally given to Christians at Christening. However, the baby has not personally chosen Christ in their life, and equally (as my second paragraph will show) some parents may simply see it as 'something nice to do'!

(Me) It is traditionally referred to as your ‘Christian Name’ - but becomes important and significant to the individual when they are mind and heart a Christian - because it is the individual that needs to make that important decision, it cannot be made for them. Hence my second paragraph ….

(Topaz) Exactly ! .......... It is your choice , but it`s not everybodies

(Me) So yes, you do agree that becoming a Christian is a personal decision then?

(Topaz) Just as you could have easily conveyed your First name to the person on the phone who asked it of you . no ?

(Me) No, just as my example of a Muslim saying; That they do not have a Christian name, but a Muslim name, which is ……....

So I say; I do not have a First name, but I do have a Christian Name - (the principle of the matter)!

Rainbow x

(Topaz) " If you dont progress , you regress . "

(Topaz) Just for the record you are in a very small minority and progress will be made regardless .

(Me) Do you know for sure that I am in a “very small minority”? (You may be surprised)!

(Me) And you say that “progress will be regardless” (are you equally sure that the 'progress' you refer to, that you know/hope where it is going ………!!!

Rainbow
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

14-02-2011, 03:54 PM

(Me) Again, do you mock, or do you appreciate that my loyalty to faith in God is irrespective of what anyone may wish to decry or abolish?

I would never mock a persons Religion Rainbow !

Who exactly is trying to decry or abolish your loyalty and faith in your God ?

(Me) “Shot myself in the foot”? Is this some kind of test of ability???

I dont know you , nor do I have any contact with you outwith this Forum , ergo you ( and everyone else ) will be assesed / judged on what you type as that is the only medium I / we have to asses folks by .

For me any counter argument you may , or may not , have had , was blown out of the water the minute you typed " The name is not what makes you a Christian "

So I say; I do not have a First name, but I do have a Christian Name - (the principle of the matter)!

Hhhmmmm, so , you say to people quite bluntly you dont have a " first" name " but you dont say to them that you dont have a " Partner , you chose instead to " add " that he is your Husband .

I find that very odd .

(Me) Do you know for sure that I am in a “very small minority”? (You may be surprised)!

LOLOL

Yes I do , because already most ( if not all ) Forms ask for your " First " Name and not your " Christian one and the only " surprise " I have , is that you cant see it .

(Me) And you say that “progress will be regardless” (are you equally sure that the 'progress' you refer to, that you know/hope where it is going ………!!!

Thats a whole other question , isnt it ?

Rainbow
Surrey UK

14-02-2011, 05:29 PM

It would not be possible for anyone to personally alter my faith and belief. However, certain sections of the public media do endeavour to ridicule, undermine, oppress and decry the existence of God.

Well, I am pleased to hear that you were awakened and shot out of your boat, by hearing that a Christian Name does not make you a Christian! (Wouldn’t that be easy)? And while you are scrabbling for the oars, let me add that everyone who does go to Church is not necessarily a Christian either!! (scary stuff indeed)!!

(Topaz) LOLOL

(Topaz) Yes I do , because already most ( if not all ) Forms ask for your " First " Name and not your " Christian one and the only " surprise " I have , is that you cant see it .

But I do see it, I see people being so politically correct about anything and everything that we can hardly move or speak without it! But if it should affect something important to me, then I will say so.
(I am actually very surprised that you base majorities and minorities on the content of Forms)!!!

Topaz: Hhhmmmm, so , you say to people quite bluntly you dont have a " first" name " but you dont say to them that you dont have a " Partner , you chose instead to " add " that he is your Husband .

Topaz: (I find that very odd).

So as not to confuse you, would you prefer that I explained all the variations that I use in certain circumstances? For instance, when asked my First Name, I may simply give my name and add it is my Christian name. Or ask if they would like my Christian name? Or that I would prefer to give them my Christian name. (More etc’s if required).

In relation to my husband, the same mixture of responses apply, and why do you assume that I never say that I do not have a Partner? Indeed there are occasions whereby that is exactly what I have said, adding that I do however have a Husband. I may also just say; “Do you mean my Husband”. - In fact, and I do hope you do not find this too odd either, I sometimes just say; “Do you mean my Christian Name”. (More etc’s if required)……

(Topaz) Thats a whole other question , isnt it ?

Are you asking me if ‘Progress’ is a different question? Or whether you hopefully know where said progress is leading you? I think it would be wise to be more secure yourself of your forward journey.

Rainbow
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

14-02-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rainbow ->
It would not be possible for anyone to personally alter my faith and belief. However, certain sections of the public media do endeavour to ridicule, undermine, oppress and decry the existence of God.

Which sections would that be ? Could you please provide me with some evidence of this .

Well, I am pleased to hear that you were awakened and shot out of your boat, by hearing that a Christian Name does not make you a Christian! (Wouldn’t that be easy)? And while you are scrabbling for the oars, let me add that everyone who does go to Church is not necessarily a Christian either!! (scary stuff indeed)!!

I`ll come back to this one !

(Topaz) LOLOL

(Topaz) Yes I do , because already most ( if not all ) Forms ask for your " First " Name and not your " Christian one and the only " surprise " I have , is that you cant see it .

But I do see it, I see people being so politically correct about anything and everything that we can hardly move or speak without it! But if it should affect something important to me, then I will say so.
(I am actually very surprised that you base majorities and minorities on the content of Forms)!!!

So why question the fact you are in the minority and tell me I may be surprised then ?

Topaz: Hhhmmmm, so , you say to people quite bluntly you dont have a " first" name " but you dont say to them that you dont have a " Partner , you chose instead to " add " that he is your Husband .

Topaz: (I find that very odd).

So as not to confuse you, would you prefer that I explained all the variations that I use in certain circumstances? For instance, when asked my First Name, I may simply give my name and add it is my Christian name. Or ask if they would like my Christian name? Or that I would prefer to give them my Christian name. (More etc’s if required).

But you have already stated you refuse to acknowledge you have a " First " Name and add that you do however have a " Christian " one .

In relation to my husband, the same mixture of responses apply, and why do you assume that I never say that I do not have a Partner? Indeed there are occasions whereby that is exactly what I have said, adding that I do however have a Husband. I may also just say; “Do you mean my Husband”. - In fact, and I do hope you do not find this too odd either, I sometimes just say; “Do you mean my Christian Name”. (More etc’s if required)……

Talking of assumptions Rainbow . , allow me to refer you to one of your own ........
More examples can be provided if required .................

(Topaz) Thats a whole other question , isnt it ?

Are you asking me if ‘Progress’ is a different question? Or whether you hopefully know where said progress is leading you? I think it would be wise to be more secure yourself of your forward journey.

Rainbow

No Rainbow , I made a statement and asked if you agreed with it , is all

I`m very secure about my forward journey thanks

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top