Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2019, 11:49 PM

Gavin & Stacey..

BBC1 this evening.

I'm so frustrated about the ending!!

Did he say yes or did he say no? Will we ever find out?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 08:33 AM

Re: Gavin & Stacey..

The co-writer Ruth is reported as saying "never say never" to a new series. Apparently James's Hollywood career makes it difficult to get availability for him to meet with her and write and then film the series. It's funny to think that it's created by the actors who play Smithy & Nessa and that she cannot pin him down in real life!

They do need to hurry up as some of the characters are getting on a bit (I'm particularly thinking of Alison who is 73 and Larry 72, but Gavin and Stacey actors are also now in their 40s). I must say some characters look fabulous for their age and seem unchanged. I'm surprised to see Gwen and Bryn are only in their fifties.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 10:26 AM

I have never really watched the Gavin and Stacey series, so because there has been so much hype about this Christmas episode, l thought l’d watch it.
l wasn’t really sure what the relationships were between them all. I didn’t understand the relationship between Rob Bryson, the woman he was talking to on the walk-in talkie and the ? gay man. I assumed, the woman was his ex wife and he had left her because he fancied the gay man he went fishing with?

It was slightly funny in parts but not hilarious. Sorry to the fans of this show but their accents really grated on me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have never really watched the Gavin and Stacey series, so because there has been so much hype about this Christmas episode, l thought l’d watch it.
l wasn’t really sure what the relationships were between them all. I didn’t understand the relationship between Rob Bryson, the woman he was talking to on the walk-in talkie and the ? gay man. I assumed, the woman was his ex wife and he had left her because he fancied the gay man he went fishing with?

It was slightly funny in parts but not hilarious. Sorry to the fans of this show but their accents really grated on me.

I feel the same as you, Art. I have never watched it either.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 02:14 PM

Art Mups same as you

At my D for Christmas and she had it on thinks its a great series

Have never watched it before but had heard of it.

So we had it to play on her TV

Stopped watching after 5 minutes.and got my Ipad out with earphones but still could hear their rubbish at times.

After it finished I ask my D what was that.

Her Reply was a load of Crap.

Said it was worth watching before and enjoyable but that was utter rubbish.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

Art it's very difficult to follow if you haven't watched from series 1.

Gwen is Stacey's mother and her brother Bryn is Stacey's uncle who lives across the road from Gwen in Barry, Wales.

Jason is Stacey's gay brother who usually lives in Spain. Uncle Bryn and his nephew Jason went on a fishing trip years ago and didn't talk for years afterwards. Nobody knows what happened. Uncle Bryn is presented as also gay but has never come out.

I was a bit disappointed when I watched it the first time. I had to watch again on i player as I missed the very end originally. The chemistry was slightly off IMO perhaps because they haven't worked together for a while and James is now a big hollywood star. The spliff stroryline was really silly. Some of it was good, but I think the writers were both distracted and trying to rush the script because of James's schedule.

The original series is brilliant so if you have a chance to catch up it's very much worth watching.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Art it's very difficult to follow if you haven't watched from series 1.

Gwen is Stacey's mother and her brother Bryn is Stacey's uncle who lives across the road from Gwen in Barry, Wales.

Jason is Stacey's gay brother who usually lives in Spain. Uncle Bryn and his nephew Jason went on a fishing trip years ago and didn't talk for years afterwards. Nobody knows what happened. Uncle Bryn is presented as also gay but has never come out.

I was a bit disappointed when I watched it the first time. I had to watch again on i player as I missed the very end originally. The chemistry was slightly off IMO perhaps because they haven't worked together for a while and James is now a big hollywood star. The spliff stroryline was really silly. Some of it was good, but I think the writers were both distracted and trying to rush the script because of James's schedule.

The original series is brilliant so if you have a chance to catch up it's very much worth watching.
I agree with the whole of your post Annie. You would never get what is was about unless you had seen all the previous series which were excellent imo. Personally, I think they did very well, when you consider there has been a gap of ten years but they are expected to keep the momentum going.
I also agree that some of it was silly (like the spliff moment) but like you say, it was a bit rushed because it will not necessarily carry on.

It has had mainly bad reviews in the press but that's probably because no one like Corden any more.

It was still the best thing I have seen on TV this Christmas.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 03:19 PM

I have just watched it while doing the ironing and enjoyed it

Of course you can't recreate the original 'Gavin and Stacey' magic of the time but I think all things considered they did a good job
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have just watched it while doing the ironing and enjoyed it

Of course you can't recreate the original 'Gavin and Stacey' magic of the time but I think all things considered they did a good job

It's always difficult. I remember when Only fools & horses returned and everyone hated it but now we have all seen those episodes a hundred times, it just blends in with the rest and is now considered to be good.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-12-2019, 03:36 PM

I liked going back to their world. It's like revisiting an old and loved friend. Things have changed but it's still good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top