Join for free
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 12:53 PM

Please Can We Talk About Clarke degrees...

My Electrolux teenage dishwasher is misbehaving at the moment.
I am trying to troubleshoot all reasons for why it is leaving mugs stained and leaving glasses and the interior opaque.

I have done everything, done a cleaning cycle with Finish dishwasher cleaner.
Checked the salt...that’s fine.
Checked the rinse aid dose and that was on a high number, so l have reduced that to No.4. (I haven’t used the dishwasher since doing that)
I have taken off the top and bottom arms to clean them but they were fine.... now I read, the top arm should never be removed.
I admit to taking off a soft plastic bit that was secured to the top arm but l pressed it back on again. Could it be possible that l broke the seal and the water pressure has been reduced?

Now, l am coming to the ‘Clarke degrees’!
In the instruction book it states the dishwasher hardness dial is factory set to 2. but l don’t know if that’s for hard or soft water.

I have googled Clarke degrees but it comes up with random things and nothing to do with water hardness!!

The water in my area is very hard.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 01:10 PM

Re: Please Can We Talk About Clarke degrees...

Hi

Here you go Art,

https://www.unitedutilities.com/glob...heet_acc16.pdf

2 Clarke is very soft water.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
My Electrolux teenage dishwasher is misbehaving at the moment.
I am trying to troubleshoot all reasons for why it is leaving mugs stained and leaving glasses and the interior opaque.

I have done everything, done a cleaning cycle with Finish dishwasher cleaner.
Checked the salt...that’s fine.
Checked the rinse aid dose and that was on a high number, so l have reduced that to No.4. (I haven’t used the dishwasher since doing that)
I have taken off the top and bottom arms to clean them but they were fine.... now I read, the top arm should never be removed.
I admit to taking off a soft plastic bit that was secured to the top arm but l pressed it back on again. Could it be possible that l broke the seal and the water pressure has been reduced?

Now, l am coming to the ‘Clarke degrees’!
In the instruction book it states the dishwasher hardness dial is factory set to 2. but l don’t know if that’s for hard or soft water.

I have googled Clarke degrees but it comes up with random things and nothing to do with water hardness!!

The water in my area is very hard.
Have you got a thermometer that you could stick in there, for a test?

Sounds possible that the temperature is down!

As for the pressure, does it still make the usual noise when running?

How about the drain being blocked? It might not let all the new water in if the water level is wrong. It might be washing with dirty water.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 03:00 PM

We do not own a dishwasher, never have owned one and nor do we want one. With mainly just the two of us to cater for, we have no need for anything automated. If we do get family visiting, after I have slaved away cooking, they always muck-in and share the washing up between them 👍
According to THIS your rinse-aid needs to be on lower setting.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 04:29 PM

Our dishwasher has a name - he's called Percy, and he's on duty 2x per day every day except when on holiday.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2021, 02:15 PM

Apologies for not replying to those that gave advice on this thread.

I wanted to do another wash after reducing the amount of rinse aid via the dial.

I did a wash this morning and the glasses weren’t so opaque. Unfortunately, the cups were still slightly tea stained but not as bad.

Swimmy, Thank You for the water hardness chart.

Ted, l haven’t got a thermometer to put in there. It was running whilst l was getting ready to go out this morning and l ran it on the highest setting.

The drain is clear and the filter is clear too.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2021, 05:46 PM

Art - if this was my problem I'd email Electrolux with full details & pictures if poss.

Who better to ask advice from than the manufacturer?

If they can't help I think I'd ditch it for a new one..
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

13-07-2021, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Art - if this was my problem I'd email Electrolux with full details & pictures if poss.

Who better to ask advice from than the manufacturer?

If they can't help I think I'd ditch it for a new one..
Carol, I think at its age of approx 16 years old, it hasn’t got long to live, the same as my washing machine.

The drawback is, I need to purchase models that will have fittings to accommodate my existing kitchen doors, to be fitted onto them.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top