Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 11:08 AM

Re: Are You On A Pacemaker?

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
So you didn’t have invasive surgery when fitted, it must be on the outside of your rib cage?

It wouldn’t be anywhere near your heart inside that rib cage
It's close under the skin, just about level with the armpit, and about 3 inches across from that armpit.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
There are 3 processes, which were gone through, to get to the point of installing the device.

1) The wearing of a tracking monitor, for, If I remember correctly, a month. That gives them as recording of all that is going on in there.

2) Going in to have an Ablation.

"Ablation, also known as catheter ablation, is a treatment that aims to correct certain types of abnormal heart rhythms by blocking electrical pathways in the heart. It uses either heat (radiofrequency ablation) or freezing (cryoablation) on the area of your heart that's causing the abnormal heart rhythm (or arrhythmia)."

In short, they insert a probe, via a vein, and have a close look at the tentacles, etc, which provide us with a heartbeat. I was told that by changing electrical connections around (in the heart) a correct heartbeat can, sometimes be re-established. I watched this going on, via a massive screen, in the room, and it was very fascinating!

It didn't provide the fix, in my case.

3) If the heart cannot be relied upon to hit the right beat, they put this little electrical device in, probably at a later date, just under the skin, and connect it where the connections need to be (in the heart).
The device usually has 3 wires (early models only had 2).
That's the battery powered pacemaker.
No scars, you can poke around to feel if it's still there.

Any medics, in this Forum, please feel free to correct anything I've put in here.

Over 10 years it may have changed a lot.

I have to wonder how many of those extra years were because of this device, or might I have lived on anyway!
That's very interesting, Ted. Much that I didn't know about.

For example, wearing a tracking monitor for about a month makes a lot of sense, but to be honest I was hoping for something corrective to be done as soon as possible. I don't want to collapse again, especially in public. I remember at the time that I didn't feel at all embarrassed, though I'm sure I would now.

I'm also a little scared of having any ablation, as if small areas of the heart are destroyed I imagine that there's no way of putting them back into working order. Perhaps I don't actually have arrhythmia - I hope.

Ideally, I'd like to hear them say to me that whatever the cause of the problem is, they can deal with it medically. I'd rather pop pills for life - I already do, anyway!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 01:18 PM

No pacemaker yet but heading for one in the future...

Lifestyle changes ae keeping me going for now .
Maywalk
Leicestershire
Maywalk is female  Maywalk has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 01:47 PM

Had one put in when I was 82 am 91 now it was to help check the seizures I started with at the age of 80 but unfortunately something went amiss when having it done so had to stop in Glenfield for around three weeks for things to get sorted out.
I have in fact been to have it checked this week although I am in hospital and was taken to another hospital to have it done, all is well and hoping to get out of hospital today after breaking a bone in my spine 5 weeks ago.

It’s a good job I have an I-pad it keeps me in touch with my family by doing FaceTime.
Cheers all.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 02:09 PM

Hi

My condition is inoperable, a Pacemaker would not help.

Twenty years ago I had experimental surgery with jump leads fitted, a cutting edge , then, technology, since abandoned.

Maywalk you are doing great, an inspiration.
Maywalk
Leicestershire
Maywalk is female  Maywalk has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 02:32 PM

Sorry to read that swimfeesders.
They tried something on me for a while but I still had seizures so that is why they put the pacemaker in.
With that and my Epileptic tablets it’s kept me going.
I think I am a VERY lucky person to still be here.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Maywalk ->
Had one put in when I was 82 am 91 now it was to help check the seizures I started with at the age of 80 but unfortunately something went amiss when having it done so had to stop in Glenfield for around three weeks for things to get sorted out.
I have in fact been to have it checked this week although I am in hospital and was taken to another hospital to have it done, all is well and hoping to get out of hospital today after breaking a bone in my spine 5 weeks ago.

It’s a good job I have an I-pad it keeps me in touch with my family by doing FaceTime.
Cheers all.

Hope you are all well & good now, Maywalk!

How the subject of a new battery come up yet?

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top