Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Plankton
United States
Plankton is male 

22-07-2021, 08:08 PM

Planktons Deluxe Furniture Restoration and Other Odds and Ends

After decades of not really caring whether or not my furniture was either rotting away or falling apart, I finally got off my tucus and did something about it. Diving into the shallow end first of course, because well... it's been a while.

First up is an old coffee table that had been sitting at a friends place for quite a few years until I acquired it in a swap for a coffee table that I had, which was a nice little satin black finished one. Upon receiving this lovely piece of furniture, my good friend who weighs about the same as a small bus proceeded to trip and fall directly onto it at the last step of a set of stairs while helping to move it, causing it to fold up into a bit of a coffee table pancake. I had repaired it with a few wood screws, but it was a wreck and wobbly with the bottom shelf constantly coming loose. So, after careful deliberation, I decided to turn this war weathered piece of press board and veneer into a Coffee Table Disc Rack. If you haven't noticed, I'm a bit fond of the sport and had developed a mild obsession with the little round pieces of polymer resin, so I needed a place to store them all without them warping under weight. I took a few measurements, did a quick mock-up, and decided to proceed with it.

Lets begin:

At first, it would be a simple dowel rod running the length of it on both sides with the center shelf being the divider, but the weight of all the discs was a bit much:

So, I created a bit of a center divider to handle the weight better:

But I still wasn't quite happy with it. After a few pops of synapses and brain cells, it occurred to me to try and emulate the end columns, which would not only be aesthetically pleasing, but ensure that the weight of 50 discs per side would be fully supported. I then set out on a journey of multiple trips to the local home store and overhead costs that would exceed the limits of what was supposed to be a minimal budget. As it was, I was way too far down into the rabbit hole to stop now:

Continued in next post...
Plankton
United States
Plankton is male 

22-07-2021, 08:36 PM

Re: Planktons Deluxe Furniture Restoration and Other Odds and Ends

Coffee Table Disc Rack continued:

I sat and mulled it over. What color? What finish, and should I sand the top down to get the warped veneer and pressboard smooth again? Hmmm...

Early last year I had worked with a local group on some logo artwork for an event they held, so I put the artwork and the table together in my head and it was a resounding "Yes!". The original work was multi-colored, this is the 3-color version for budget printing on shirts, disc, and swag for the event:

The purpose of this piece was to sit in my garage holding discs with a car race theme placed on the top of it, so it really needed some casters. At first, I thought industrial style, but after some thought I went with office chair style black rollers.

I had the artwork printed on heavy stock so as to keep it from warping from the spray adhesive when applying it to the top, but first I had to decide on the colors before it was placed. Blue seemed like a good choice for this, with some orange and white accents:

So, after a few odds and ends and many, many, many, many coats of polyurethane, it was finally finished:

I did mock it up in 3D as well:

As far as finishing/sanding the top, I did get it down to the pressboard with a hand sander, but it was too far gone to go any further.

Thanks for tuning in!

Next up:

Roj Blake
London,UK
Roj Blake is male 

22-07-2021, 08:39 PM

Very nice bit of recycling there Plankton.
I'm the same..I hate waste
When you mean discs do you mean frisbees ?
Also I have to admit my eyes fell on those speakers first .
Roj Blake
London,UK
Roj Blake is male 

22-07-2021, 08:39 PM

Yes now I see what you mean by discs..
UkGameCoder
UK
UkGameCoder is male 

22-07-2021, 08:49 PM

Great work, Plankton!

And all to the sounds of one of my favourite albums by my all time favourite band!

Well done, mate!
Plankton
United States
Plankton is male 

22-07-2021, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Roj Blake ->
Very nice bit of recycling there Plankton.
I'm the same..I hate waste
When you mean discs do you mean frisbees ?
Also I have to admit my eyes fell on those speakers first .
Thanks!

Ah yes, my wall of noise, it goes to 12:

Some things I've collected while being a musician. I was doing open mics at a place my daughter was working at, so I snagged that PA, which paid for itself after 10 shows, then those 2 other stacks are what I used to use in a few bands. They were sitting around collecting dust, so I hooked them all up and added a Roku TV so I could watch/jam in my little workshop... I mean garage.
Plankton
United States
Plankton is male 

22-07-2021, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by UkGameCoder ->
Great work, Plankton!

And all to the sounds of one of my favourite albums by my all time favourite band!

Well done, mate!
Thank you! Yessongs is another great album to work by. Heck, they all are... well most of em anyway.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 09:18 PM

Now that the post is finished, I can comment. Like Roj, all I saw was your speakers - they tower over everything else.

From the start to the finished product, it’s awesome. I love the colour as well as the graphics. It looks amazing.

That’s a big selection of discs that you’ve got there Plank. Awesome handiwork.

Update: I look forward to seeing your next project
Roj Blake
London,UK
Roj Blake is male 

22-07-2021, 09:27 PM

Your workshop/garage just screams MAN CAVE.
Roj Blake
London,UK
Roj Blake is male 

22-07-2021, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Plankton ->
Thanks!

Ah yes, my wall of noise, it goes to 12:

Some things I've collected while being a musician. I was doing open mics at a place my daughter was working at, so I snagged that PA, which paid for itself after 10 shows, then those 2 other stacks are what I used to use in a few bands. They were sitting around collecting dust, so I hooked them all up and added a Roku TV so I could watch/jam in my little workshop... I mean garage.
12 that's one more than Spinal Tap..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top