Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 10:09 AM

Cost of dining out

Obviously haven’t eaten out for ages due to lockdowns etc but 4 of us went out recently and I was rather shocked at the prices.

£18-£20 for main courses and £8-£9 for desserts. It was pretty standard fare, like beer battered fish and chips, burgers, quiche etc. And as we drove home my OH said “that was honestly no better than we get at Wetherspoons or Marstons but about 3 times the price.”

A new restaurant has opened locally and they do about 5 courses of tiny bits of food for £75 per person. They don’t even put the £ sign on!!! My OH nearly fainted when I showed him their menu. I can’t bear the thought of eating food that’s been stacked up and fiddled with by hand anyway so even for a special occasion I wouldn’t go there.

Would anybody on here pay these prices? The thing is I am a good cook (if I say so myself!) but I do like to eat out now and then as a break from cooking.

I guess that due to the pandemic prices have had to go up.
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 10:23 AM

Re: Cost of dining out

Having been a chef and experienced the arty farty presentation of the menu, I would prefer a solid plate of well cooked food.

However, there are and ever will be, those completely snobbish arseholes who don't know a Steak Dianne from a Coronation Chicken, who 'oooh' and 'aahh' at the arty farty side of the business.

Let them pay £75 per head for presentation. More money than sense.

As for not showing the prices, these self same arseholes take a perverse pride in the fact if you have to ask how much it's going to cost, you can't afford to be there in the first place.

That's one of the reasons I left the trade - I couldn't stand being treated like a serf by someone who was, skillfully, my inferior.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 10:33 AM

No I wouldnt pay high prices . I've not eaten out yet since unlockdown so I'll take a look at our local eateries . I guess the prices are hiked because less customers allowed in and staff must be paid .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 10:46 AM

That does seem an awful lot to pay Flowerpower.

I have found garden centres have hiked their prices something awful too.
I can only think these places are trying to recoup their losses through closure, but that doesn't make it right.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 10:59 AM

Had a 3 course meal from fixed price lunch menu 10.95 from Steak house & Grill, with drinks and coffee total was 61. 71 for 3.

A regional restaurant chain.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 10:59 AM

Tricky one. We know that restaurants have fewer covers due to having to spread people around the same area, which means that their overheads need to be paid for by fewer customers.

There is obviously an upper limit of what customers are prepared to pay.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 11:02 AM

I think it's more than recouping their losses, to be fair. Many eateries have had to spend a heck of a lot on making their facilities Covid-safe, including far more frequent deep cleans, new 'no contact' bathroom fittings, possibly screens between tables where necessary, PPE for staff, lots of hand sanitiser stations and so on.

It's just the same with hairdressers - the money they've had to lay out to keep themselves and their customers safe has inevitably pushed prices up.

I think eating out will, for many people, become less of a regular thing, and more of a luxury, a once in a while treat. I know that will certainly be the case with us.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
Obviously haven’t eaten out for ages due to lockdowns etc but 4 of us went out recently and I was rather shocked at the prices.

£18-£20 for main courses and £8-£9 for desserts. It was pretty standard fare, like beer battered fish and chips, burgers, quiche etc. And as we drove home my OH said “that was honestly no better than we get at Wetherspoons or Marstons but about 3 times the price.”

A new restaurant has opened locally and they do about 5 courses of tiny bits of food for £75 per person. They don’t even put the £ sign on!!! My OH nearly fainted when I showed him their menu. I can’t bear the thought of eating food that’s been stacked up and fiddled with by hand anyway so even for a special occasion I wouldn’t go there.

Would anybody on here pay these prices? The thing is I am a good cook (if I say so myself!) but I do like to eat out now and then as a break from cooking.

I guess that due to the pandemic prices have had to go up.
Middletons are worth a try, not large portions but food is OK.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 11:14 AM

£10.95 for avaocado on tiny toast over here. It comes with a poached egg and an edible buttercup, so that's alright then, eh?
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by pixie knuckles ->
£10.95 for avaocado on tiny toast over here. It comes with a poached egg and an edible buttercup, so that's alright then, eh?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top